The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite LA studios?
Old 20th July 2005
Here for the gear

Favorite LA studios?

I've been in NY for a long time and am interested in heading out to Southern California for a change of pace (and for the weather! NY weather sucks). What are some of your favorite LA studios and why? This is a general/fun thread about good/bad experiences in some LA studios (I'd love to hear stories about maybe The Village, Record Plant, Sunset Sound, Larrabee, Enterprise, etc..)
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I personall love Henson the vibe there is great, plus once you get inside the building its still the same A&M that it always was, all the studios still have the A&M logo all over them, and the rooms sound amazing. The Record Plant is still the record plant, however the vibe there is not as relaxed and nice...but if you want "client service girls," go call them. Ocean way is around and going strong but Enterprise is gone, NRG rocks and thats all I have...
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I Second a vote for Henson. Great place! I love walking down the halls and seeing like 30 half inch machines along the wall...halarious!

Record Plant is a nice facility, but expensive, and they nickle and dime sooooo much. 5 dollars a cdr....give me a break.

For mixing you can't beat the Mix Room in burbank. Royaltone was awesome too, but now it's locked out by linda perry (she owns it too), so I don't see getting back there anytime soon.

Sound City has great rooms too, although the studio isn't as "pretty" as some. Definetly not a "look at me" type of place.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Not to hijack this thread, but Linda Perry is a hell of a talent. I didn't realize how many hit songs she has produced and written for other artists. Did she start Royaltone or buy it?

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

A vote for sunset sound, I love the custom API console they have.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I loved the room at One On One North for explosive drum sounds... and the loads of 1081's the had. I believe the studio is now called Extasy... that is, if they are still around.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang
Not to hijack this thread, but Linda Perry is a hell of a talent. I didn't realize how many hit songs she has produced and written for other artists. Did she start Royaltone or buy it?

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com
She just bought within the last 2 years or less i believe. Last time I was there was 3 years ago in october...
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

Sound Factory, Capitol B, but many of my favorite places are small rooms you learn to love...
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

another vote for NRG in North Hollwood. The place is simply amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search