The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mic-Pre's - Drawmer 1962
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Mic-Pre's - Drawmer 1962

Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a decent mic-pre. I've been looking around at a few and i have a shortlist developing (see below).

I'm particularly interested in the Drawmer 1962 unit since it can also provide a very interesting true 24-bit converter (i currently only have 20-bit converters in the studio).

Anyone here using one of these units and could give me some feedback on their use of 1962 unit or the units listed below?

The other mic-pre currently on the list also include:

TAB-Telefunken V78
Groove Tubes - The Brick
SPL Gain Station
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Hey all,

I'm currently in the market for a decent mic-pre. I've been looking around at a few and i have a shortlist developing (see below).

I'm particularly interested in the Drawmer 1962 unit since it can also provide a very interesting true 24-bit converter (i currently only have 20-bit converters in the studio).

Anyone here using one of these units and could give me some feedback on their use of 1962 unit or the units listed below?

The other mic-pre currently on the list also include:

TAB-Telefunken V78
Groove Tubes - The Brick
SPL Gain Station
I don't know how much this will help you, but I have used a 1962 for about 6 years and love the thing. It has good clean gain, great tube character that can be added via the tube drive knob, excellent DI, a usable but not great eq and aphex type enhancer. I have a lot of great pres to compare it to (Spider, API 512C, OSA, Pendulum MDP-1, and others), and it's right there with all of them. Of course, all these pres sound differrent, but the Drawmer has comparable quality. thumbsup
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns
I don't know how much this will help you, but I have used a 1962 for about 6 years and love the thing. It has good clean gain, great tube character that can be added via the tube drive knob, excellent DI, a usable but not great eq and aphex type enhancer. I have a lot of great pres to compare it to (Spider, API 512C, OSA, Pendulum MDP-1, and others), and it's right there with all of them. Of course, all these pres sound differrent, but the Drawmer has comparable quality. thumbsup
Thats great, thanks for the info. Do you use it in conjunction with any of the digital option cards? I'm thinking that I may have to go for a double whammy and get the analogue version and upgrade that at a later date.

According to my info the Telefunken is a very creamy pre-amp which I may find a little less versatile than something cleaner like the 1962. I'm planning on using the 1962 (if I get it) as my main front end for the AD conversion during recording. I'm not too worried about using the EQ section for anything other than slight work (if at all) as I already have a 1961.

Thanks again.
Old 20th July 2005
I owned one without the converters ... It sounds great, I'll be back with the cons later
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I never had the converters in mine. I have heard the converters sound very good, but thats second hand. If you get the 1962, make sure to keep space above and below to keep it cool.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Hi Jammer,

I've been using a 1962 for a while now and can echo what has previously been said about the good DI, so-so EQ etc.
I got mine with the SPDIF/AES Digital card installed. As far as the conversion quality goes - these things are so subjective, but I'll do my best.....

Compared to my (Genex6 clocked) RME Multiface (which incidentally I feel like I could improve on considerably), I found the drawmer digital out to have slightly less stereo width and a slightly "duller" sound.

I have listened to both side by side on ADAM S2A's fed by a DAC1. I use the drawmer Digi out sometimes, but generally prefer the Multiface for its slightly brighter sound.

Clocking the 1962 to the Genex6 didn't change things much.

If the list price for the card is still as high as it used to be, I think some 2ch converters of a comparable value might be a better option. Of course YMMV.

Another consideration is that the Digi out card was designed around 1996, so I guess AD has improved a lot since then.

Oh, and the pots get quite scratchy after a while - I think mine needs a service!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

As far as I remember the Digicards almost doubled the price of the unit.
That can't be worth it!
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

I got mine (store demo model) with the Digi card for 500Euro in a liquidation auction! - Result! thumbsup

I think the list at the time for the Digi option was 1200 pounds sterling.
Not really worth it now, but at the release time (1997) i think 24bit AD options were pretty scarce (and probably expensive).

Cheers
Dave
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by squelch
Hi Jammer,

I've been using a 1962 for a while now and can echo what has previously been said about the good DI, so-so EQ etc.
I got mine with the SPDIF/AES Digital card installed. As far as the conversion quality goes - these things are so subjective, but I'll do my best.....

Compared to my (Genex6 clocked) RME Multiface (which incidentally I feel like I could improve on considerably), I found the drawmer digital out to have slightly less stereo width and a slightly "duller" sound.

I have listened to both side by side on ADAM S2A's fed by a DAC1. I use the drawmer Digi out sometimes, but generally prefer the Multiface for its slightly brighter sound.

Clocking the 1962 to the Genex6 didn't change things much.

If the list price for the card is still as high as it used to be, I think some 2ch converters of a comparable value might be a better option. Of course YMMV.

Another consideration is that the Digi out card was designed around 1996, so I guess AD has improved a lot since then.

Oh, and the pots get quite scratchy after a while - I think mine needs a service!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave.

This is indeed a bloody expensive unit when you add in the digi options, in fact the street price is still abouit £2300 for the unit with digi. now thats enough for an apogee converter! ...

Maybe its time to really dig out some info on the Telefunken ...

thanks for all your help on this one.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
I got mine (store demo model) with the Digi card for 500Euro in a liquidation auction! - Result! thumbsup
GOOD WORK!!!! :O) whats that? just over £300 ...
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

Hi again Jammer,

I'd still keep it on your shortlist (minus the AD), but just factor in a decent 2 channel convertor to go with it.

Good luck!

Cheers

Dave
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi again Jammer,

I'd still keep it on your shortlist (minus the AD), but just factor in a decent 2 channel convertor to go with it.

Good luck!

Cheers

Dave
yeah, this is going to stay on the list for now. i have a very good chance of getting one on loan from drawmer to try before i buy.

I still can't get over the price of the digi expansion card.

thanks again.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
yeah, this is going to stay on the list for now. i have a very good chance of getting one on loan from drawmer to try before i buy.

I still can't get over the price of the digi expansion card.

thanks again.
The digi expansion is very expensive but the preamp in the 1962 is sweet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search