The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Give me bass; Subs for BM6a's
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Give me bass; Subs for BM6a's

I need more bass.

My BM6a's are great but I got a hint from some other threads about the Dynaudio subs. But there are s..tload of them. BX 30A (discontinued), BM 9S, BM 10S, BM 12S... I know there are other options as well.

Anyone use these and or any other sub options with the Dyn's? Is 9" enough, do I need 12". No funny comments please

Come on give me the bass!
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I got a BX30A - it's a nice combination but the BX30 is really BIG. I think a smaller sub would be fine too assuming your room doesn't have the size of a church. I don't know the actual range of Dynaudio subs but I'd try the 12" first (but I'm a guitar player so ....)

Jo
Old 21st July 2005
I also use the BX30a (with BM15As) and like it a lot. Very tight sound. Also functions well as a table.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

you guys using the BX-30 in a stereo setup ? I use mine as the LF channel in a surround setup but not in a stereo setup.

fwiw I have BM15A's. I 've never been a fan of nearfields with sub combination.
Old 21st July 2005
Yes, for stereo, but I don't use it all of the time, and I always run the BM15s at full-range, just slightly boosting the lows with the sub for post work and certain styles, and checking for rumble.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I use in a stereo set up - and it's allways on. You can't really hear it but ....

Jo
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

If you once have installed a BX30, you can't bypass it anymore without patching cables. Is that right?
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener
If you once have installed a BX30, you can't bypass it anymore without patching cables. Is that right?
yup - not a big drawback for me because I like "predictable monitoring" heh

Jo
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

I bought the 9" one since it had all the bass management built in. I definetly like it... I dont have it on very loud, but that little extra bottom helps getting the low end right. Its nice to be able to hear what a HPF at 30hz sounds like.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
you guys using the BX-30 in a stereo setup ? I use mine as the LF channel in a surround setup but not in a stereo setup.

fwiw I have BM15A's. I 've never been a fan of nearfields with sub combination.
do use them in stereo setup w/ BM15As. also S3As (no sub). check super lows and overall sound on dynaudios -- adams for high end detail, mid honkyness, and overall sound.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Decision

I took a chance and ordered a powered Infinity PS12 subwoofer after reading another thread...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...ight=subwoofer (thank you gearslutz)

Supposedly Chris Lord Alge monitors to this and some NS10's...

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_chris_lordalge/

Goes down to 25hz, 300 Watts, 7 selectrable crossover points from 50-150hz.

I plan on going out of the unbalanced -10dBv RCA jacks on my DAC1 into the Infinity sub, and the balanced XLR ours into the Dyn's. We'll see if it works. There are some jumper selectable pads in the DAC1 for the balanced XLRs if I need to tune it further.

Hell, for $269 vs. the $1000+ for the Dynaudio BM series subs I had to give it a try. We'll see how "accurate" it is. If it doesn't work out, I'll use it in my home system!
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I guess we should move this to "low end theory" huh...?
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

i also want to add a subwoofer to my BM15A's soon, so feel free to give suggestions / opinions

Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Results

Just hooked up the Infinity sub...wow. I can finally hear the bass without having to turn the monitors UP. I am still fiddling with dialing in the correct settings, crossover, level, but I must say I don't have to listen as hard through the ultra-pristine highs and high-mids of the BM6A's to hear and manipulate the bass frequencies anymore. The sub has improved my listening EXPERIENCE greatly as well. Everything is just...there. I don't have to listen so loudly.

I am keeping a folder of my reference tracks immediately available so I can check my mixes against them to make sure I don't overdo or underdo my frequency placement with this new monitoring situation.

Anybody with any tips/tricks on properly dialing in a sub please share. I am basically just going with whatever sounds "right", so that the bass is not overpowering the mains on the low end, there is a smooth frequency response down the spectrum, and there are no "bumps" where the mains and sub are handling the same frequency area.

To all my small monitor friends, get a sub and dial it in!

I am sure this will all change when I get my traps...
Old 27th July 2005
There’s good info. about setting up a sub at Bob Katz’ site, Digital Domain. Here’s a direct link to the article: http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule...er_page_id=29/

You can get a free pink noise generator for your computer at http://www.channld.com/software.html (or do a google search for other options).

You’ll need another person to help adjust while you sit at the listening position.
Old 27th July 2005
Quote:
You can bypass it by turning it off. The mains still receive signal when the sub's power is off (at least mine does).
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney
You can bypass it by turning it off. The mains still receive signal when the sub's power is off (at least mine does).

Really? Cool!
Stupid question, but the hipass is of course also bypassd right?
Old 27th July 2005
Quote:
Really? Cool!
Stupid question, but the hipass is of course also bypassd right?
Good call. No, it only works if the the mains are in "direct" mode (which is how I use it). With the HP set (at 95Hz), the BX30 won't pass signal when off. In that scenario, you do have to patch to bypass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search