The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Maniac

Mix buss compressor

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good mix buss compressor that is not rediculoulsy expensive. The music we do is mainly rock/pop (U2 /Pretenders/Coldplay/Eurythmics ish) so I thought the Al Smart C2 might be a good choice. Our console is the Euphonix CS2000/3000. Any other choices or opinions? Any comments on the Smart C2 compressor?

Everglass
Old 13th April 2003
Tube Tech Multi band?
Cranesong STC-8?
API Compressor?
Alan Smart C2
Neve

Those always seem to be up there in the Top 5 mix buss compressors with the Alan Smart unit.
Old 13th April 2003
member no 666

I'm rather partial to the Drawmer "1969" in that application... then it was designed for me for that application so I reckon I'm kinda biased...
Old 13th April 2003
oops! How could I forget?

Yes, that one too!

heh
Old 13th April 2003
Crane Song Trakkers, STC-8, Pendulum.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

The "Gorn" says API 2500!!!
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I try to stay away from master compressor from an analogue console. There´s always other mastring guys that are better than me......
Otherwise when mixing in digital I really enjoy the Daking comps or the Tube-Tech SMC2B. I also had some great experience with two Summit TLA-50 across the protools stereo mix. They really warms up the high freq´s......
Old 13th April 2003
Don't forget the Neve 33609 and the Focusrite comps(Blue and Red).

Also the famous Manley Vari-Mu.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Addict

I always hear that reservation about putting a comp on the 2 mix since the mastering guy has a better compressor available. Maybe, but I think there are several arguements for commiting to the compression at mix.

If you're mixing to analog and not one of the big macho 1/2" or 1" decks at 30 ips, you're commiting to whatever noise comes with the wider dynamic range of the uncompressed mix. There are denoising fixes, but they are fixes - I'd rather not create the need for a fix.

Compression effects the sound of the final mix. I find the mix will go subtly differently when the compression is in than when it is out. If your mastering guy does have a better compressor than you, maybe it's better to just monitor with the compression while mixing without, and note the settings used to include in your documentation. Or, means allowing, providing the mix with and without your compression.

And probably most persuasive, how many stories have you heard of that album that was engineered so carefully, with such attention to fidelity and care for the soundfield, being taken after the mixes to some cut rate "mastering" place where someone normalizes and compresses the thing to oblivion on a pc, killing all that was good and beautiful? Do you have that much control of the product that leaves your studio that you can guarantee this won't happen?

Besides the "better compressor" arguement, is there a good arguement for leaving it till mastering? Is there something they can't do as readily if the mix has been compressed? I'm just not seeing it. I'm probably about to be schooled, though . . .
dfegad

Bear
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

AL Smart C2...AL Smart C2...AL Smart C2...AL Smart C2...!!! heh heh heh

Its the bomb for what u r looking for...
If you're game then strap that into an Avalon 747 and set it to stun and sit back and put ur feet up cos its an awesome combo.

I am still to try the API 2500 combo that Fletcher recomended to me, in a previous thread.... 'scary good' was one thing i remember him mentioning.

Do a search and im sure you will come up with several threads relating specifically to this topic.

Suffice to say most of the units mentioned all will do justice to a mix just its a amatter of what gives u a woody and what they sound like relative to your desired goals.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

SSL...API 2500
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Nut

Neve 33609
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

... RNC1773...
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Maniac

The API 2500. How would you describe the sound of the compressor? Is it similar to the Al Smart?
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

My three favorites:

Drawmer 1969 / Neve 33609 / Summit DCL-200

....depending on Music / Time / Weather / Mood / TimeOfDay....
Old 15th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

I usually use a Manley Vari-Mu on the Mix buss since my 1969 is glued to the drum buss.
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Addict
Fatso. On the buss setting.
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ZEUSS
Fatso. On the buss setting.
That's what I use...since it's the only stereo comp I own. (excluding plugins)

Can anyone comment on how the FATSO buss setting compares to a Smart, API, or SSL for 2-bus duties?

Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by everglass
The API 2500. How would you describe the sound of the compressor? Is it similar to the Al Smart?
Yes and No.

In the 'new' (feed-forward) mode it can be quite similar to the Smart and SSL. The best thing for me about the 2500 is the versatility of the design.

The thrust circuit, variable linking, link filtering, and choice of feed-back of feed-forward comp styles give the unit more 'tricks' than many of the other buss comps.

I'm looking at some of the others out there, but for my first bus comp, the 2500 is a choice that has exceeded all expectations.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear
I'm still shopping for a 2buss comp, just wondering is a comp across a mix really key for getting a "radio ready mix"? Or for getting" that sound"?
Whatever that means

daniel
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
I'm still shopping for a 2buss comp, just wondering is a comp across a mix really key for getting a "radio ready mix"? Or for getting" that sound"?
Whatever that means

daniel
No not at all, but it sure can add needed aggression and punch.

On a different note, will the C2 or the API 2500 do good on vox compression as well. I'm looking for a single rack space buss compressor that can also serve vox compression at times as well.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

SSL compressor

"...it's so good. It's the magic button. Boom - it sounds like it's on the radio now!"

Glen Ballard in SOS.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Buzz Audio SOC 1.1 does it for me
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

I never used the C2 as a voc compressor. I heard it should be very good on bass but mine is always on the drum bus

Jo
Old 16th April 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I usually use a Manley Vari-Mu on the Mix buss
Really? And you don't find the bottom to turn into an indistinct, washed out, ball of ****? Interesting...
Old 16th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Really? And you don't find the bottom to turn into an indistinct, washed out, ball of ****? Interesting...
Personally I think the Manley stuff is more suited to individual tracks during mixdown, not 2 bus or mastering. For that purpose (in addition to many others) I think Crane Song or Pendulum is the way to go.
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not when you use two mono units, linked. And how can the stereo Vari-Mu be as bad as it has been written in the last few years when before that it was widely used, and a standard tool in Mastering houses big and small? Your saying everyone of them that used the Vari-Mu either didn't hear or notice this recent low end problem? Or used it anyway? It just doesn't make any sense that it can be a great tool with no mention of a low end problem, then all of the sudden change into not being a great tool with a low end problem unless we are taling about a significant design change or that parts have been changed.
Old 17th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Nope. Not when there were 6386's in it, and not with the T Bar mod. I'm not hitting it very hard - 1-2 dB, and on rare occasions maybe 4dB at most. It's glue, not level control...
Old 17th April 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioGaff
Not when you use two mono units, linked.
How do you link the mono units? I'ts not that big a deal for me since I only have one Mono Vari-Mu, but I haven't noticed iny provision for linking two of them.
Old 17th April 2003
The older ones are OK, but I think Manley started winding their own transformers a while back - that's about the time I thought they started sounding mushy...

My vote, of course, is for the Crane Song STC-8. I can't imagine a better buss compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search