The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Had to show some love for the 1968 (1969) comp on the bus. Like it's color, glue, tightness and vibe it gives my mixes. Like it better than the SSL, Phoenix, Sm2C, 2500, TG1 and Pendulum 6386 on the 2 mix for rock and pop. This thing is also great for tracking -vox, bass, percussion etc. Wonderful blend of modern but with a little tube warmth in the gainstage.

Also still using my early model TLA-100. Say what you will but it can be just the ticket on a vocal and bass. Listen to any Al Schmitt recording in the last 15 years and you'll hear gobs of that comp. I've seen him run almost every overdub and vocal through them while tracking. Substandard?

Also love that Varimu. Mine's a 6386. 1/2 db reduction on the meters at most just to tighten and add punch. No bottom mush, especially with the hi pass sidechain.
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Hey--what kind of input/output are you mostly using? I've usually got mine on 1:00 input / 11:00 output. I usually work the threshold until I've got 1-2 dB reduction going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos View Post
I love the vari Mu on the mix bus....not always but it really fits perfect sometimes.....i mainly use it for 1-3 db of gain reduction....i think the main thing is to find the "perfect" input gain/output setting.....i do believe that it messes up the Low end on more drastic settings (at least mine - without the mods).....I also love the ssl style bus compression on certain things (and i think C2 does it better).....

What i'd like to hear is the Safe Sound Toolbox on the 2-bus.....i mean blend control and transformer/transformerless sellection of outputs sounds tempting.....any opinions?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
Hey--what kind of input/output are you mostly using? I've usually got mine on 1:00 input / 11:00 output. I usually work the threshold until I've got 1-2 dB reduction going on.
....well that's exactly what i do when i want tht 1-2db of gain reduction for the "glueing thing"....thumbsup

...but sometimes i need a more agressive ratio so i crunk up the input and lower the output....i prefer this from lowering the threshold as i really like the overdriven input stage of the Mu.........sometimes i also use the mu on the Limiter mode (well not so much of a limiter......but it can be really nice sounding on the mix bus)......

On the main mix do you prefer linked or separate control of the channels?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi--with the stuff I do, which is mostly acoustic music, I'm hitting it pretty softly. I'm just mixing a more rock/pop thing at the moment, and find that sometimes the glue is actually a little too 'viscous'. I've been glad to have the Red 3 for those times, but I'm interested in what Ms Manley herself said (I think in this post) about lowering the input stage when the bass gets too blurry.

I've never used it in limiter mode--when do you do that? More aggressive stuff?

I've tried it unlinked but felt that it messed with the stereo image a little too much. I sometime use the Charles Dye thing and insert a McDSP Analogue Channel 1 in mult-mono mode on the mixbus before the outboard.

Hey--are your Vari-mu VU meters a bit off from one another? Mine have been since I got it. Pretty annoying!

Quote:
....well that's exactly what i do when i want tht 1-2db of gain reduction for the "glueing thing"....thumbsup

...but sometimes i need a more agressive ratio so i crunk up the input and lower the output....i prefer this from lowering the threshold as i really like the overdriven input stage of the Mu.........sometimes i also use the mu on the Limiter mode (well not so much of a limiter......but it can be really nice sounding on the mix bus)......

On the main mix do you prefer linked or separate control of the channels?
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish View Post
Hi--with the stuff I do, which is mostly acoustic music, I'm hitting it pretty softly. I'm just mixing a more rock/pop thing at the moment, and find that sometimes the glue is actually a little too 'viscous'. I've been glad to have the Red 3 for those times, but I'm interested in what Ms Manley herself said (I think in this post) about lowering the input stage when the bass gets too blurry.

I've never used it in limiter mode--when do you do that? More aggressive stuff?

I've tried it unlinked but felt that it messed with the stereo image a little too much. I sometime use the Charles Dye thing and insert a McDSP Analogue Channel 1 in mult-mono mode on the mixbus before the outboard.

Hey--are your Vari-mu VU meters a bit off from one another? Mine have been since I got it. Pretty annoying!
well i use the Limiter mode mostly on mixes containing agressive snare druming....but not as a limiter....actually i think it as the best way to keep that constant 1-2 db of gain reduction with fast 3-4db on loud snare hits without having to crunk up the input gain....regarding the input gain....well i am not really in to ultra low kicks and bass guitars so i don't find the Mu so blury.....i think it's more what you feed in than the gear itself.......of course i wish i had the HP option....it could be time saving....

Some of my mixes have a very wide stereo image regarding dynamic range of the L and R channels.....in certain circumstances i find the unlinked mode to work better.......it takes more of time to get what i want but it's definetely more controll on my hands

My VU meters work ok....but i have a more annoying problem.....the output level pots are not properly calibrated....and allthough i'm used to it....it's a PITA to "recall" settings
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Cool-thanks for the tip thumbsup. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a vari-mu having a bit of a personality issue! Apart from the meters, I think it is one fantastic box.

Quote:
well i use the Limiter mode mostly on mixes containing agressive snare druming....but not as a limiter....actually i think it as the best way to keep that constant 1-2 db of gain reduction with fast 3-4db on loud snare hits without having to crunk up the input gain....regarding the input gain....well i am not really in to ultra low kicks and bass guitars so i don't find the Mu so blury.....i think it's more what you feed in than the gear itself.......of course i wish i had the HP option....it could be time saving....

Some of my mixes have a very wide stereo image regarding dynamic range of the L and R channels.....in certain circumstances i find the unlinked mode to work better.......it takes more of time to get what i want but it's definetely more controll on my hands

My VU meters work ok....but i have a more annoying problem.....the output level pots are not properly calibrated....and allthough i'm used to it....it's a PITA to "recall" settings
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

The meters on our Mu were fine until we sent it to get serviced by Manley. They came back uneven and the outputs were out of cal as well.
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear
Shadow Hills Dual OptoGraph

Of the comps I have owned in the past and currently own, this would get the nod on the 2 mix most of the time. The attack and release are extremely musical and you never have the feeling that it is clamping down too much on the music. The different tranny colors are quite nice and are fast to compare to see which one flatters the program material the most. Truly an excellent piece of opto compressor magic for the 2 mix.
Old 28th September 2009
Here for the gear

Chandler TG 12413 Zenner Compressor killer sound
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass View Post
The API 2500. How would you describe the sound of the compressor? Is it similar to the Al Smart?
NO.......API has color, Smart no so much, love it.
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by everglass View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for a good mix buss compressor that is not rediculoulsy expensive. The music we do is mainly rock/pop (U2 /Pretenders/Coldplay/Eurythmics ish) so I thought the Al Smart C2 might be a good choice. Our console is the Euphonix CS2000/3000. Any other choices or opinions? Any comments on the Smart C2 compressor?

Everglass

Get a real SSL bus compressor. One of and still the best. Or an old focusrite red or blue. If you wan't something to smooth out the mix. TSL3 or Manley Vari mu.
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Maniac

If you do mastering, consider:
Gml 8900 if you like it transparent,
Qes labs Variable gm if you want it tubey and still retain transparency,
Multi band, Drawmer S3

Keep up the good work.
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Guru

I still don't mind a 2500 on a 2 buss, but I did not realize how much I like more of a transparent sound on my main 2 buss, also I like color that my 512c can give but again on my main mix the transparent is a must for me.
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

it's a good thing no one has strong opinions about this.

Vari Mu for s***** mixes (t bar mod etc and learn how to use it)
Focusrite Blue 230 for midrange radio push
Crane Song STC for transparent compression
Pendulum OTC optical tube comp for almost anything

Distressors on 2 buss? no, but they are fun

now combine any of them with less than a total 1-2 db of compression and you'll get there.

of course, just my opinion

cheers,
chap

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search