The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mix buss compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th May 2003
Gear Addict

Two buss compression affects how your panning sits, how reverb sounds, how transients come through, how ... just about every aspect the mix sounds.

If buss compression isn't stylistically appropriate for a track, don't do it. But if it's going to be there eventually, you've got to put it in early, because it's going to affect everything else. It's like mixing "through" a tape deck instead of just dumping down to it.

(Just to be clear, I'm not talking about limiting for volume--the L2, etc. does wait until mastering-- just a couple of dB of compression to glue things together.)

I wouldn't want to work with a mastering guy who freaks out about 2 buss processing. And really, the experienced guys don't seem to have a problem with it, provided it's done appropriately and not flattened.

It's the dude-with-computer "we also do mastering" guys who insist on being psuedo-mixers.

Old 29th October 2003
Here for the gear
mix bus compressor

In the days when your only option to hear the mix outside the studio (before it got pressed to vinyl) was on cassette, I was always disappointed by the sound of my stuff until i started using a Massenburg stereo eq over the mix bus (a predecessor to the 8200. (http://www.gmlinc.com/8200.htm). Then my stuff started sounding like "real" records. The Massenburgs sounded great but they never seemed to be calibrated the same between L & R channels. At that point I was mixing on SSLs (i shudder at the memory!) so I was always using the on board bus compressor which I liked.

In NY my favorite mix room ever (Room With A View...sadly no more) turned me on to Night Technologies EQ3 which I immediately loved because it sounds fantastic and I've had no doubts about its calibration between L & R. Also the detented steps make it easier to recall.

A couple of years ago I discovered Manley.
My first Manley was an Elop which I tried on the mix bus but there's not enough control (attack, release etc). Now I'm absolutely loving the Vari-Mu (post EQ3).

Since going all digital, I can't monitor without the EQ3 and Vari-mu across the mix. The Vari-mu just makes my sonic world a better place. Even when I'm writing and tracking I have them inserted.

If they're in all the time, I find I have to work less on the individual sounds because everything gets the benefit of those two great quality bits of gear. The "air" band on the EQ3 is amazing and a much better way to brighten the mix than adding top with onboard eqs to individual channels on a board which are introducing more noise into your mix.

In the old days when mixing to half inch tape, I figured it was best to add the "mastering" top end "sheen" before the half inch machine rather than afterwards. If you waited for mastering, you'd be boosting another generation of tape hiss too.

I just bought my second Vari-mu and EQ3 to strap across the rear speakers bus in my 5.1 surround set-up. Anyone got a mono Vari-mu for sale (for my front center speaker bus)?

Mark
Old 29th October 2003
Gear Head

I didn't thoroughly read all 7 pages of this threaad, so apologies if somone has said this already. Give a listen to the InnerTube Audio "Atomic Squeeze Box" compressor. There's a two-channel version out there, but it may well fail to meet the original poster's criterion of "not ridiculously expensive." It's quite expensive, in fact.

Feel free to consider this pseudo-spam, as its designer, Jeff "Stayne" McLane, is a good friend of mine, and I want people to know about his stuff.
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

We just got a C2 at work and I am loving it..very different from my beloved SMC2B. The Blue Monster (as I call it heh ) is very smooth...although its attack and release specs are extremely flexible for a tube unit it maintains an overall smoothness making it an awesome unit to ease out the digital sound of a DAW. Don't get me wrong...you can push it but it always comes out in the end as a round ball in my ears..hehehe

Having said the above, I am also a huge fan of the Sony TDM compressor...quality-wise I think its even better than the eq...

Finally, I am impressed with the DCL200...amazing for tracking...nice tube sound with a transparency (compressoin-wise) which is hard to find...top place in the future list....

peace, syra
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFortner
I didn't thoroughly read all 7 pages of this threaad, so apologies if somone has said this already. Give a listen to the InnerTube Audio "Atomic Squeeze Box" compressor. There's a two-channel version out there, but it may well fail to meet the original poster's criterion of "not ridiculously expensive." It's quite expensive, in fact.

Feel free to consider this pseudo-spam, as its designer, Jeff "Stayne" McLane, is a good friend of mine, and I want people to know about his stuff.
How much is the two channel version? Also isn't "Stayne" Loudist?
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

Im actually starting to hold back on the 2buss thing. I mixed something yesterday without any 2 buss and without my beloved C2 strapped across the buss.... ..

I actually enjoyed it, but in hindsight now im slowly moving into the digital world i think the 2 buss thang is a hangover from my much missed 2" days. So the stripes on this Zebra are changing and i think im gona be leaning towards a more neutral 2 buss int he future like a 747 where i will just shave 2-4 dB off massive crests and peaks instead of just slamming and sucking like a hooker with more jobs than time! I like the fact the mix seemed a bit more open than usual and less congealed, shilst still retaining some binding agent from the console (which was an Auditronics 701....dare say a bit like an API in its bottom end!)

Having said that though... my L2 arrives soon ! and i still wana get/try an API 2500!!!

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Im actually starting to hold back on the 2buss thing. I mixed something yesterday without any 2 buss and without my beloved C2 strapped across the buss.... ..

A touch of the Thrillitus bug there Wiggy?
Old 29th October 2003
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
How much is the two channel version?
$7,500... and there are only 4 in existance... 3 of them have good homes. More may be made in the future... but at the moment, there ain't but one left.

On the bright side... the mono 'Squeezebox's track like a mofo... so it's still an available sound.
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

I'm a nobody with an humble project studio recording through outboard pres into a Tascam MX-2424. I think the 1969 is excellent on the 2 buss for rock. I mix to DAT or CD-R. But then again all I have to compare it to is an RNC, a Langevein DVC, an Avalon 747sp (the 1969 is much more desireable than this IMHO), a pair of Joe Meek VC6Q, Presonus Blue Max and other assorted low end trash.

The most impressive results thusfar were with instrumental tunes. I haven't had the pleasure of using any Cranesong ore Alan Smart stuff.

Maybe some of you folks who don't favor it record to and/or mix to tape?
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

Anyone try the Chandler TG1 on the mix bus?
Old 29th October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
A touch of the Thrillitus bug there Wiggy?
Actually Renie... it was due to the fact that my mate did not have any decent hardware compressors. I just found the right mix gain structure for the song and it just happened !! things seemd to fall into place a bit and i forgot about it. He's got a rack of DBX 900 series compressors coming soon so that will sort him out next time im down there, and i will take my rack of doom too.

PS.. heres a tip.. look out for electrodyne EQ's! i got my first pair the other day and they sound fantastic in that passive pultec way. You can boost 10dB @ 3K and it wont rip ya freaking head off and it still sounds musical!

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th October 2003
Gear Head

Fletcher and Faeflora, just FYI:

There will be more 2-channel Squeeze Boxes. Soon. Stayne has been involved in redoing the front-panel graphics to make the look more consistent with the single-channel version, as well as designing a new chassis and getting the specs to the metalworker, that will both cut assembly time and improve ventilation.
Old 30th October 2003
Lives for gear
Re: mix bus compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by marksaunders

Now I'm absolutely loving the Vari-Mu (post EQ3).
Mark
Mark what other eq's have you tried on the mixbuss?
I'd like to try an eq on the mixbuss but hadn't heard about the nite technologies unit being used for this app as much and I don't have the jing for a massenberg. Isn't eq3 pretty reasonable? As far as mixbusscomp
I've been using and loving the cranesong stc-8 without an eq after not using a mix comp and I'm loving how things gel and looking forward to more experimenting with itheh
peace
daniel
Old 30th October 2003
Quote:
PS.. heres a tip.. look out for electrodyne EQ's!
Cheers
Wiggy
Hey Wigs,wait till you try the Electrodyne comp/limiter.
Old 30th October 2003
Lives for gear

Thrill....

OMG

I just plugged in my Electrodyne EQ yesterday as i mentioned..killer!

Am yet to even see a compressor! Under stated gem of the eyar for me!

Cheers
Wiggy
Attached Thumbnails
Mix buss compressor-electrodyneeq1.jpg  
Old 31st October 2003
Quote:
Thrill....

OMG

I just plugged in my Electrodyne EQ yesterday as i mentioned..killer!

Am yet to even see a compressor! Under stated gem of the eyar for me!

Cheers
Wiggy
You know Wigs this was on Ebay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=23790&rd=1

I though about picking it up, but I am staying away from DUY projects.

The Electrodyne comps are great on bass, drums and electric guitars. They are hard to find though.
Old 1st November 2003
Lives for gear

yeah thrill i saw em..

however the slut inme has to be suppressed cos i have spent heaps inthe last few weeks on toys. SO i gota be a good boy until some ppl pay me!.. dmanit hurts to say that!

Wiggy
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syki View Post
Anyone try the Chandler TG1 on the mix bus?
I have...

It sounds great! I used it with 2 - 3 dB on the mix bus on a "pop-hardrock" album. I really liked it. It fattens the mix up a little without being too much. As expected, when gained, the unit can be a little noisy, though more than I thought it would be... ^^ Though it sounds good, it is not my 1st choice to strap on the mix bus. Ended up only using it insertet on mixing stem C.

It's mostly the Fairman switched TSC or the Bus Compressor in the Duality though...mostly.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Guru

C2 is the best, I have a 2044 strapped across the buss, it does great, I barely use gain reduction as in the lights blinking.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

I love the vari Mu on the mix bus....not always but it really fits perfect sometimes.....i mainly use it for 1-3 db of gain reduction....i think the main thing is to find the "perfect" input gain/output setting.....i do believe that it messes up the Low end on more drastic settings (at least mine - without the mods).....I also love the ssl style bus compression on certain things (and i think C2 does it better).....

What i'd like to hear is the Safe Sound Toolbox on the 2-bus.....i mean blend control and transformer/transformerless sellection of outputs sounds tempting.....any opinions?
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Try a search here on GS, you will find some review for the Toolbox as I did.
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Guru

Is anyone using the 3630 across the buss ?.....
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Try a search here on GS, you will find some review for the Toolbox as I did.
...thanks....i found some things already thumbsup....i hope someone has posted some clips with it on the 2trk bus
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairaudience View Post
I have...

It sounds great! I used it with 2 - 3 dB on the mix bus on a "pop-hardrock" album. I really liked it. It fattens the mix up a little without being too much. As expected, when gained, the unit can be a little noisy, though more than I thought it would be... ^^ Though it sounds good, it is not my 1st choice to strap on the mix bus. Ended up only using it insertet on mixing stem C.

It's mostly the Fairman switched TSC or the Bus Compressor in the Duality though...mostly.

So would the TG1 not be a good choice for the 2 buss on hip hop mixes?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Is anyone using the 3630 across the buss ?.....
That was my go to buss comp for the past 10 years! Now I use two: one for the buss and one for the car (on long rides.)
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Does anyone know anything about the Folcrom 2bus compressor or maybe it was the Rolls music one...whichever company makes a 2bus compressor, I heard it was surprisingly useful and good for the task.

On another note, for general purpose, I do rock, pop, hip-hop, r&b...everything and I need the unit that would be able to used as much as possible for all genres. For me, it's between the Avalon vt747, the Api 2500 and the smart c1 or c2....unless someone recommends either the Folcrom or the Rolls Music that I asked about in the paragraph above.

Any suggestions?
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Ok that compressor I was asking about was the RMS 755....anyone have any experience with it? Can it be used multi-genre?
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Bump...has noone ever tried it? Is Nathan the only one that thinks that is sounds "sounds like a clean hi-fi version of the SSL buss comp"? I've always trusted his advice, in fact I have my Mytek converters thanks to him and they are in fact as he described. I really want to hear more about this compressor or if I should just look elsewhere or go with something tried and true like the smart or the API.

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Old 6th February 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post

Thanks in advance for the advice...
Its clean, open & relaxed sounding. What more can one say?

Does it sound and grip like the original SSL buss comp?No. None of the other clones out there has the same grip either. So basically it comes down to a preference thing. You got a try it for yourself and see if it does something you are looking for.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

There are some good threads that have very helpful advice on the Roll 755! Check 'em out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search