The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Noisy Masterlink CD Drive
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

Noisy Masterlink CD Drive

I am trying out a used Masterlink and I am finding that the CD drive makes a lot of noise (sort of an overly loud spinning kind of sound) when I play certain specific CDs (i.e. Green Day American Idiot). The noise is loudest on tracks 1 to 3 and quieter on later tracks.
Other cds play quietly.

Anyone else run into this? If there is a problem with the CD drive, I am going to pass on the unit.

Thanks,

Nic
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

is it the same noise that some Computer CD drives will make, like a low whir, or is it a more high pitched whine?

It definitely seems like it would be the CD drive to me, which is not super hard to replace, from the looks of the inside of the thing. Much easier than to replace the hard drive, which is what I'm about to do.

If it's under 550, I'd still consider buying it. Especially since you won't usually be burning cds when the noise would bother you.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

It's more of a low whir, vibrating kind of sound. And like I said, it shows up consistently when playing some cds and not others.

Nic
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

My ML has always done that...(5 years) There are just a couple of CDs that it doesn't like...and it is always the same CD's.

You don't have a defective box...

And when that suckers is noisy..it is NOISY!

P&B,
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Mine did the same thing, so I just replaced the cd burner and the problem was solved.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Careful though -- the hard drive is mounted right under the CD-R drive, and it might be hard all things being equal to tell which drive is the culprit. I think that the HD is spinning in there even when in 'CD' mode. The original HD in my Masterlink crapped out and I lost quite a bit of data. When it started to go it made grindy vibrating noises...

Sounds like you can isolate the problem to a few CD's, so in your case it sounds like a faulty CD-R drive.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks everyone.

If I was going to swap out the CDR drive, is there a specific supported drive I should look for?

Nic
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

List of supported drives is in the software update release notes on the Alesis site:

http://alesis.com/downloads/software...ML_History.pdf

You will need to update to the latest version of the software (2.20) to allow for the largest variety of choices (if you haven't upgraded already.)
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xestenz
Careful though -- the hard drive is mounted right under the CD-R drive, and it might be hard all things being equal to tell which drive is the culprit. I think that the HD is spinning in there even when in 'CD' mode. The original HD in my Masterlink crapped out and I lost quite a bit of data. When it started to go it made grindy vibrating noises...

Sounds like you can isolate the problem to a few CD's, so in your case it sounds like a faulty CD-R drive.
It doesn't sound like a faulty drive at all.

My Masterlink has never gliched, failed a burn, or crashed with 5 years of use. The CD player just makes noise on a rare occasion with certain CD's...but it still plays those discs just fine.
I would attribute it to the CD...not the ML.

My point is...being careful is great advice... but there is no need to be paranoid without cause.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

"My Masterlink has never gliched, failed a burn, or crashed with 5 years of use. The CD player just makes noise on a rare occasion with certain CD's...but it still plays those discs just fine.
I would attribute it to the CD...not the ML.

My point is...being careful is great advice... but there is no need to be paranoid without cause."

That's fine. In my case the drive mechanically failed. It wasn't a CD or the CD player. Sharing this experience, and pointing out that the CD-R and hardrive are in the same spot, seemed worthwhile to me. I agreed that in his case it looked clearly like the CD-R. How is this paranoid?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I can tell you with 100% certainty that it's the CD-R drive. I replaced the Sony drive in mine to a Lite-on that worked great for about a month until I noticed the same problem, it's only on 1 or 2 discs and only on track 1 so I haven't replaced it yet. It's a terrible sounding noise though, sounds like it's going to come to a grinding hault any second. The Sony drive never made these noises but had problems of it's own.

FWIW, I emailed Alesis to ask if the OS supports any DVD-RW drives. The reply was "Sorry, No." But how cool would that be.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xestenz
That's fine. In my case the drive mechanically failed. It wasn't a CD or the CD player. Sharing this experience, and pointing out that the CD-R and hardrive are in the same spot, seemed worthwhile to me. I agreed that in his case it looked clearly like the CD-R. How is this paranoid?
No flame... although for reference..'faulty' and 'crapped out' could be construed as 'defective' by some folks.
Quote:
Careful though -- the hard drive is mounted right under the CD-R drive, and it might be hard all things being equal to tell which drive is the culprit.
The HD is fine...this noise is common and it doesn't affect the HD in the least...no problemos..
Quote:
Sounds like you can isolate the problem to a few CD's, so in your case it sounds like a faulty CD-R drive..
Just pointing out that his unit does not need a new drive (it's not faulty) and that what he is experiencing is indeed common to this machine.

P&B
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

Great responses; extremely helpful (I love this board).

I've also gotten a couple (infrequent) disc read errors when playing CDs that seem to crash the unit (i.e. buttons nonresponsive until I turn it off and on again).

I don't know if this is related (or even common to the machine).

Nic
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Gene
No flame... although for reference..'faulty' and 'crapped out' could be construed as 'defective' by some folks. The HD is fine...this noise is common and it doesn't affect the HD in the least...no problemos..

Just pointing out that his unit does not need a new drive (it's not faulty) and that what he is experiencing is indeed common to this machine.
No sweat Mr. Preacher Man -- Your distinction is a good one, and I missed your point the first time around. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasixxx
Great responses; extremely helpful (I love this board).

I've also gotten a couple (infrequent) disc read errors when playing CDs that seem to crash the unit (i.e. buttons nonresponsive until I turn it off and on again).

I don't know if this is related (or even common to the machine).

Nic
This can happen if the disc is a 800 MB disc. The ML will resist anything past 750 MB worth of time....or on some home-burnt discs.

My Masterlink runs really hot..discs gets hot. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

God luck to you...BTW- get the Jim Williams mod!!

P&B,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search