The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools write up in Rolling Stone
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Pro Tools write up in Rolling Stone

Anyone catch this yet? It's the one with the posers on the front cover.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Good Charlotte? Is this cause theie record was completely "fixed" in PT or something?? Not much of a fan of the pop-punksters...

Ian
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

NOTE - Random Worthless Info ahead.

I have only heard one Good Charlotte tune ( whatever the single was) but I did meet the guys outside the KC airport last spring on a smoke break. Really nice fellas, seemed to be good guys.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

The pro tools article wasn't about Good Charlette. It had Butch Vig giving a play-by-play of how to's.
Old 13th April 2003
One with big hooves

How-to what? Guess I'll have to go out and buy my first copy of Rolling Stone in about a year. Unless someone wants to fill me in...
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Does the average Rolling stone subscriber have a PT system?? Seems kinda funny, but than again, I haven't seen the article...

Ian
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by imacgreg
Does the average Rolling stone subscriber have a PT system??
A lot of their musician readership may own daw setups or if they don't now they probably will... they'll probably never learn to use them though. I get a couple of disasters every year from clients with an LE rig who abandon their session to me.
Old 13th April 2003
Old 13th April 2003
So. it's official, Vig joins the cash for trash crowd?
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

I read it, and while it was badly researched and boring, the summary is something we already know....
That for a couple of thousand bucks and no musical talent you can make bad music to share with anyone who will listen.
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Addict

While they maintain that now anybody can make a "professional" record, no examination is made as to what profesional quality is, or whether it has changed. Even among PT users, I'd imagine there is a lot of agreement that what passes for pro these days isn't what it used to be, and it isn't even mostly about the storage medium. Maybe the problem is the fact that now anybody can make a "professional sounding album". That used to mostly fall to people actually capable of the task.

The "just being difficult" question that ocurred to me is what the tens of thousands of dollars of equipment is that the MBox replaces. A cheap preamp, an AMIII card, and what else? I mean, do you compare it to a portastudio, a 2" deck, a Sony 3348? What 24 channels of 24 bit recording cost 5 years ago? And that the plugins replace rack effects is mostly dubious. Did Digidesign pay for this fluff piece or something? Because god know they need to move more units to more wannabes to edit together more lifeless dreck masquerading as music.

[Excuse any excessive bitterness, I finally finished my taxes today]

Bear
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

Now-a-days, about all I expect from Rolling Stone is "How to make a pipe bomb", "How to smuggle drugs", "How to smuggle bootlegged CDs", and "How to autotune a vocal". The bleeding heart, leftist, tree hugging, hemp-based hackey sackers need a couple community college journalism classes, and a couple less vegan granola bars. There reviews of music are like 90% incoherent babble about the album, and 10% about the actual music on the record. It's like a downward spiral over there.
Old 14th April 2003
I say bring back Hunter S Thompson

Learn about him here, he used to write for Rolling Stone

http://www.gonzo.org/
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Tools write up in Rolling Stone-hunter-s-t.jpg  
Old 14th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Gone Fission
... Did Digidesign pay for this fluff piece or something? ...
On top of being badly written, it came off as an infomercial. I really expected to see the digi logo and contact info at the bottom of the page.
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

E-cue sez: "The bleeding heart, leftist, tree hugging, hemp-based hackey sackers need a couple community college journalism classes, and a couple less vegan granola bars. There reviews of music are like 90% incoherent babble about the album, and 10% about the actual music on the record. It's like a downward spiral over there."

I haven't read any Rolling Stone recently (let's say in the past 10 years), except the article linked to this thread, but I have seen the cover a few times- I must say that the overhyped ultraglossy worship of the crassest of today's pop stars seems very unlike what I would expect from treehugging bleeding heart hempbased folks, although they have a way of letting me down. I'm thinking the problem would more likely be too much mass media, too much compression, too much hype, not enough trees, not enough hemp. The syndrome is consumer culture head-full-of-TV-trash, not out in the woods close to the earth unhyped wholesome subtlety.

The whole PT excess could use a healthy dose of the organic, in my estimation. Things like making the music with the real live performers in the room seem much more organic to me than the Vig Butchery touted in the admittedly shallow article. Perhaps you overrate our community colleges? Perhaps the posers with the hempbased sandals should become much more hardcore about their evident desire to lead a more real, earth-based life...
Old 14th April 2003
s2n
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Now-a-days, about all I expect from Rolling Stone is "How to make a pipe bomb", "How to smuggle drugs", "How to smuggle bootlegged CDs", and "How to autotune a vocal". The bleeding heart, leftist, tree hugging, hemp-based hackey sackers need a couple community college journalism classes, and a couple less vegan granola bars. There reviews of music are like 90% incoherent babble about the album, and 10% about the actual music on the record. It's like a downward spiral over there.
Who the hell reads music rags for album reviews?
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

I think you guys missed the irony of this article. It basically shows how any jughead can sound like "something" using Protools, and you can evaluate the results accordingly. The song he did was a joke, and the article itself had a secret satirical vibe worthy of the best Rolling Stone articles of yore, before it became a teen fashion mag.

Now excuse me, I have to go arrange some flowers in a vase.

-R
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Addict

good point... lately I've become used to living in an irony free world...

The mp3 is a lot of fun (more PIL than Heart) but still more fun than a lot of the crap on the radio.
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
The mp3 is a lot of fun (more PIL than Heart) but still more fun than a lot of the crap on the radio.
Really? I found it to be typical of the "garbage" being spewed on the radio.
Old 15th April 2003
Gear Addict

yeah, Really. but maybe they have some humor left in BC... here we've all had a humorectomy... but keep talkin' and I'll see you're humorless too!heh
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

Wow. I counted (using "Find"), and author-dude uses the name "Pro Tools" sixteen times in the article and Digidesign twice! That ought to do 'er. Yup, got it......Pro Tools is the name to remember!

Funny, but there is not a single other software brand name in the article. No plugins by name, no nuttin'. Those are just called "plugins". No "AutoTune" or "Waves" mentioned. We wouldn't want anyone to become confused by those other silly names, and fail to remember "Pro Tools", now would we?

I think it's pretty funny, but it also does distill the guy's point down that a talented producer could probably make a compelling record on a monkey about now.

Hey...............wait a second. I'm trying to do that right now on my current project, I think.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 15th April 2003
Here for the gear

Yes - but does the monkey LOOK good????

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Wow. I counted (using "Find"), and author-dude uses the name "Pro Tools" sixteen times in the article and Digidesign twice! That ought to do 'er. Yup, got it......Pro Tools is the name to remember!

Funny, but there is not a single other software brand name in the article. No plugins by name, no nuttin'. Those are just called "plugins". No "AutoTune" or "Waves" mentioned. We wouldn't want anyone to become confused by those other silly names, and fail to remember "Pro Tools", now would we?

I think it's pretty funny, but it also does distill the guy's point down that a talented producer could probably make a compelling record on a monkey about now.

Hey...............wait a second. I'm trying to do that right now on my current project, I think.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 16th April 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by balt4house
Yes - but does the monkey LOOK good????
Well, it's gotta look to good somebody from some angle some of the time.

See no evil. Speak no evil...
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

A monkey can't look good to all the people all the time. But money can be made nonetheless.
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Addict

I am personally trying to prove that if you leave a monkey in a room with a pro tools system long enogh that he'll eventually create a great musical masterpiece... I'll let you know when that happens
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
I am personally trying to prove that if you leave a monkey in a room with a pro tools system long enogh that he'll eventually create a great musical masterpiece... I'll let you know when that happens
Maybe you could get one on loan from DAVID KERSHENBAUM...
Old 17th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Maybe you could get one on loan from DAVID KERSHENBAUM...
Hahahahahah!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Pro Tools write up in Rolling Stone-david-monkey.jpg  
Old 17th April 2003
Gear Addict

that's me... on the left....
Old 19th April 2003
Lives for gear

Oh man... No matter how many times I look at that pick, I still chuckle.
Old 19th April 2003
Gear Addict

๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear