The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Differences in API 512, 512B, and 512C
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Hi, was wondering what the differences between the issues of the 512 were. Any preferences of one module over the other for different applications. I just got a 512C and love it -- but was wondering if the different issues would complement each other or whether I should stick with one flavor.

thanx

Peter
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

If it says API on the front plate and has the API opamps inside, it's going to sound good. The 3 series sound different from the 5 series, but I wouldn't get worried about it too much. They're all great. If you're looking for something to compliment them, I'd look for something totally different.
later,
m
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

the difference is progress

I like the style switches on the B, C has a phase flip...but don't get too bent out of shape, as the above poster said, they're all good, I've never used the original 512.

If you open them up(b and c), they'll look the same, B will have a blue sticker 2520, the C has a black sticker. I like stickers, The black ones are cooler than school, although I have to say the blue sticker ones(2520) in my early nineties 3124 are my favorite!!! I like the old style switches that are found on the 550A, which are also used on the 3124 and 512b.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

The 512b, 512c same input/Output trans, the 512b as stated had a different input/pad switch, better in my book Gold plated. The 512c had a phase switch the others did not. All sound good...
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I own a 512b and a few 512c's...
and, my impression is that the 512b has a slightly more "vintage" sound... that is to say maybe a hair more saturation (a little less clean) than the 512c. That, and the ouptput may be a hair less hot in the 512b.
To me, the 512b sounds like the BAE 312's, if you're familiar with them.

Again, the difference is slight.
Either way, they both have that great API sound.

Regards,
CJ
Old 23rd November 2006
Here for the gear

Hi....I have some API 212s that seem to sound great, sadly they don't have a phase switch, but has anyone reading this heard them in comparison to the 512s, or 312s....am I missing anything substantial.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search