The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Great Clean sounds from Cabs
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Great Clean sounds from Cabs

Hey, I know a lot of people favour a sm57 into a high-end pre for a good heavy
crushing sound from a cab, but what about nice lushous clean sounds?
Do people still favour the 57 in this situation, or a nice large diaphram condensor?

Cheers.
Old 19th July 2005
One with big hooves

I tend to favor whatever's around and try that first. I've also recorded a lot of clean guitars with a DI, but if there's a mic involved I usually have it backed off the cab.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

I do a lot of clean guitar recording and I think a Royer 122
works very well.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use a LDC on a JBL D130F with the mic 12" or more from the grill.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

on clean guitars i usually try a sennheiser 421, aea r-84, josephson e22s or a soundelux u-195. usually one of those works very well.
joshua
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Nut

I've always found Pinot Noir much cleaner than a cab.
But, of course, YMMV.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

First off, I wouldn't probably use a closed back Marshall type cab for a clean sound. I'd go for a combo....Fender, Vox, etc. You mic them differently every time. You need to get further away so you get some of that sound coming out of the back. Two mics? Room mics? Whatever the process is, it's different than a closed back 4x12 distorted sound.
With all of that said....it depends on what you've got, but a 57 still works on the front...Beyer ribbons work nice for room mics, as do Royer or just about any nice LDC that sounds good in your room. That's an area that will just take some experimentation on your end.
later,
m
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use 635a for good, clean cab sound

ruudman
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Clean cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pettit
I do a lot of clean guitar recording and I think a Royer 122
works very well.
I'm using a Royer 122 and U87 (fig. 8) into a TG-2 on a Mustang/Sound City/6x10 Univox and am getting a HUGE and VERY clean sound. -E
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Nut

Clean guitar is about the only situation where I like the AKG 414. If you're looking for that nice glassy clean sound like with a Fender Twin or something it works nicely.

-moze
Old 22nd July 2005
Dynamic or even better a nice ribbon (take your pick based on room, amp and player) and a LDC (mellower if you can and again take your pick). Start with them backed off from the amp a foot or two then work backwards untill you have the proper amount of room/direct tone for the track.

Watch your phase and mix to taste.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

U67 and a royer 121 = yummi
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moze
Clean guitar is about the only situation where I like the AKG 414. If you're looking for that nice glassy clean sound like with a Fender Twin or something it works nicely.

-moze
Yeah, I've gotten really good brilliance and shimmery with an AC-30/414 combo.

ruudman
Old 22nd July 2005
Large or small diaphragm condensor for me.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I really like my U195 in this application.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Royer R121 or Sennheiser 421 for me. When all I had was a 57 I still got awesome clean tones. I love my blackface Fender Princeton for this application.

Brad
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

First off, get the amp up off the floor )believe it or not, plastic milk crates work wonders for this...and provide some low end isolation as well...(Carnation or Gandy's are high end )

I prefer JBLs, Peavey Black Widows, EVs, Weber Californias, or similar nearly hifi speakers...

I've tried this for country stuff and it works VERY well: guitar into compressor (dynacomp, CS3, whatever) into the amp's low gain input...if a two speaker amp, put a 57 or similar on one speaker and an AT4033/3035/similar on the other, with the two diaphragms pointing slightly away from each other (if a single speaker amp, one mic in front of the open back cab, the other in the rear, of course out of phase)...
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've gotten good results with a LDC about a foot in front of a great amp, off axis will mellow it a small amount, engage the mic pad and often insert a proco 20db inline pad before the pre. Then crank up a LOUD, but clean tone at the amp. The pre can be cranked up with the pads as well. Big, chunky sound or shimmering clean chords, depending on how its played. Great player, great gear, and a great guitar make things easier.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Addict

I find that having the clean sound turned up with a slight breakup and then havign the guitarist turn the volume down on the guitar a little and play softly works great for me.

type of mic depends on type of sound im going for.

limiter is also a nice helper since clean sounds are less compressed and volume can be a bit jumpy depending on the player.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
First off, get the amp up off the floor )believe it or not, plastic milk crates work wonders for this...and provide some low end isolation as well...(Carnation or Gandy's are high end )
Carnation works ok but you must go with a local flavor like "Meadow Gold" Once you do that you would never even think about using Gandys. I mean PLEASE. How could you ever even think about that. Straight to low end with that!!!! heh

Ok now for reality. Milk crates do work great and are much cheaper than most alternatives. Can really tighten up the sound.

Michael Greene
Old 24th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
I use 635a for good, clean cab sound

ruudman
I use the AT804 which is the equivalent in the Audio Technica line, dynamic omni without a lot of tizzy high end **** coming through and close placement without un-natural boominess.

The high end on the AT804 is anything but "omni".

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search