The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trident board worth?
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

Trident board worth?

Hello, I think I got, what is an amazing deal on a Trident Series 65... I was wondering if
anyone here could tell me what the market "retail" worth might be? I know the 65's aren't the most desirable, but I think it sounds great. it's in perfect condition etc etc..
it's 24+16
with legs and custom drawers and backboard
powersupply is perfect...

If you owned this board, and you wanted to sell it for as much as you could get for
it, what would a highball price be?

thanks guys!!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I looked at these last year, my guess is $2,500-3,500 as I have seen 32 channel versions going for $4-5K. Plan to recap it and upgrade all the ICs to have a decent board; two friends here in Austin have done that to their Series 65s with excellent results.
Old 19th July 2005
One with big hooves

The 16 channel versions seem to be going for about $3500 or less.

I have a 24x16x16 that I almost sold for $7500 (with bays & cabling) and the buyer didn't flinch at that price so...I'd put the market value around there. Thankfully I managed to call the deal off and keep it! New they were around $35-40K.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Addict

upgrades

Did you do any upgrades to yours? If I got $7,000 for mine, I would be doing back flips!!!!
Old 19th July 2005
One with big hooves

Yeah, there's some secret mods on the 2-mix, rebuilt power supply and blah and blee...
Old 19th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
The 16 channel versions seem to be going for about $3500 or less.

I have a 24x16x16 that I almost sold for $7500 (with bays & cabling) and the buyer didn't flinch at that price so...I'd put the market value around there. Thankfully I managed to call the deal off and keep it! New they were around $35-40K.
Really? I only paid $34K for my brand new from-the-factory 80B in 1983. A 32 frame shortloaded with 28. So 28x24x24. Man, I miss that console.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

i paid 9 g's for a 32x16x16 and you slutz are makin me feel like i paid too much, on the other hand i dont think i am selling it any time soon...... she does sound nice....
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Addict

When did you buy your console?
Old 20th July 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
Really? I only paid $34K for my brand new from-the-factory 80B in 1983. A 32 frame shortloaded with 28. So 28x24x24. Man, I miss that console.
I got that figure from the Orion Blue Book, $35K is what they have listed for the "new retail" price and the desk (at least my version, the 24x16x16) was built around 1990-ish, give or take a few years.

Maybe that number is high but it's the only real point of reference I have. I bought my desk about 5-6 years ago for $7000 and it seems to have held it's value which is a beautiful thing. Either way, I don't care what the desk is worth because at this moment I have no intentions of selling it. Over the years it's played a central role in making records that sound good to me and my clients. I've worked on other desks from SSL's (E to G+) an 8068, various Ameks, Tacs, Yamahas Soundcrafts, Trident 80B's and C's, digital consoles from a Tascam to an SSL Axiom, ITB, etc. The little Series 65 sounds fine to me and gets the job done without getting in the way. Granted, I'm not making $100K records for the majors but I've never had a client (label or otherwise) object to mixing their record on my desk.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
yeah...those things were very cool.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Nut

last year when i bought the studio i was running.....before that the last owner bought it from a pretty big dealer so i assume its been recapped, i know the power supply is modded. no manual though, bummer. Also its the early 65's with peak indicator and different group layout. somically I here they are the same, anyone hear otherwise? Also there seems to be aa bit of a debate about the value of modding the opamps...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search