The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
E47-E49-E47-E49-E47-E49-E47-E49...
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Just so you can hear this mic, here is a clip that was done almost 100% with a Soundelux iFet-7 mic. The only non iFet tracks are 2 overheads which were Earthworks TC-30ks. Vocals, guitar (sometimes tracked at the same time), upright bass, background vocals, front of kit, percussion, brushed snare overdubs- all iFet7 into either the same Great River you have, or a Pendulum Quartet for all the vocals. This was recorded from 10 at night to 7 or 8 in the morning. Yours truly on vocals/guitar, my friend Nick on background vocals and drums, and Alex Hornbake on upright.

(you can now check out the mp3 in the mp3 section)
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Santo:

I called Mike @ Vintageking - and he was very helpful - as has pretty much anyone that has been recommended through here or even here for that matter.

He seems to think the E49 is the way to go for me - based on what I was trying to accomplish with the mic.

So there ya go - it's back to the E49 - and I'm starting to feel pretty good about it.

I'm gonna let this sit for a day - then it'll be time to cut the cheque & get on with life.

Maybe a nice EQ would be handy... heh

Thanks everyone - this has been a great learning experience.

SparkyCanada
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hey - I just noticed I've been promoted to "Gear Head" from "Gear Interested".

That can't be good for the old bank account...

I guess to celebrate - I should buy something.... heh

SparkyCanada
Old 20th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel
Just so you can hear this mic, here is a clip that was done almost 100% with a Soundelux iFet-7 mic. The only non iFet tracks are 2 overheads which were Earthworks TC-30ks. Vocals, guitar (sometimes tracked at the same time), upright bass, background vocals, front of kit, percussion, brushed snare overdubs- all iFet7 into either the same Great River you have, or a Pendulum Quartet for all the vocals. This was recorded from 10 at night to 7 or 8 in the morning. Yours truly on vocals/guitar, my friend Nick on background vocals and drums, and Alex Hornbake on upright.
Nice tack BattleAngel!! Very cool and I like the tones. Lots of room sound on the vox, is that the mic or the mic placement?
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Well, basically everything except the rightmost vocal (there are only 3 vocal tracks on the whole song, and only 2 of them really stay active) is bone-dry in terms of reverb. We were going for an ambient, sort of "location-recording" sound and as such, we recorded vocals and guitar very often through the same mic and tried to get at least a few veins of performance that started at the beginning of the track and stayed till the end. I can't say for sure that we achieved our goal, but I agree that the vocals sound very 'roomy'- I like to think of them as resonant. I try to do that a lot with the performance and really shaping my breath through the mic and imagining the rest of the circuit path's color so that I can give an optimal sound (sounds cheesy, lol). The way we had the Pendulum dialed in really contributed to the silkyness of the sound, and we recorded every other instrument in the room with a high regard to placement. We're none of us professional recording engineers but the sound we're getting now is very pleasing to us. We also have a Wunder PEQ-1 unit, which sees a lot of use, the Earthworks, an Audix d-6 for kick, a royer sf-12, a bevvy of all the usual dynamic suspects, a couple of the 'blue' mics from way back when, and our first record (which I've yet to really talk about here) was done largely with a Wunder C12. I like the soundelux, but to me, the ifet-7 isn't yet the sound I believe is the 'best' for my voice- I would really like to audition a Horch RMJ2 and am dying to hear a Didrik Di Geer. But our rig (which gets filtered through to a Cranesong Spider [man, I'd love another one] just rules for what we do and we're confident that with a little more experimentation, we're going to be able to get a great tone for our first record. Thanks for listening :-)
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

The E49 is on its way!

Thanks everyone for the help on this - I really do appreciate it.

Thanks Santos for the recommendation to call VintageKing - they helped me decide on this mic.

Can't wait to plug this beast in.

Now if only I was a better singer - then we'd have something heh heh heh

SparkyCanada
Old 3rd August 2005

Good luck. I bump a little 3k & 6k when tracking most vocals and it really sweetens it up.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Glad to hear all went well!

Santo
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Good luck. I bump a little 3k & 6k when tracking most vocals and it really sweetens it up.
Ditto
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Well that's interesting - the bumping of 3K & 6K

I don't have a sexy EQ in my recording chain - just the E49 into the Great River & probably either the DBX 166X or BSS DPR 402 (not sure yet) as a mild comp then into an Apoggee Rosetta.

Please tell me I need to spend more money heh

I was thinking of "fixing this in the mix" - or should I get an EQ now? What are the pro's/con's.

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyCanada
Well that's interesting - the bumping of 3K & 6K

I don't have a sexy EQ in my recording chain - just the E49 into the Great River & probably either the DBX 166X or BSS DPR 402 (not sure yet) as a mild comp then into an Apoggee Rosetta.

Please tell me I need to spend more money heh

I was thinking of "fixing this in the mix" - or should I get an EQ now? What are the pro's/con's.

Thanks,

SparkyCanada
See how it works for you before looking into an eq. I find for most sources, I don't need eq, but when I do, it's in the 3K & 6K area. The E49 takes eq very well.
Old 3rd August 2005

spaky,

If the sound you're getting is working then you're in good shape. I use a Chandler LTD-1 as a pre. We really like the EQ on that unit. E49>LTD-1>Distressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search