The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
API Lunchbox
Old 19th July 2005
  #1
Gear Nut
 

API Lunchbox

What products are compatible with the api lunchbox chassis (other than BAE and OSA)?
Old 19th July 2005
  #2
Gear Addict
 
cletus's Avatar
 

Purple mic pre's fit in a lunchbox as well. Never heard one though. Do search on purple and see what comes up.
Old 19th July 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Purple Audio. Five more modules to go. heh

Shane
Old 19th July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

bae 312's rock.
Old 19th July 2005
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Aphex made some modules. They made a rack too.There's someone else too, but I can't emember.
Old 19th July 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 

- API
- BAE
- OSA
- Purple Audio
- Aphex (previously called B&B Sound, 500 series modules were made under both names)
- MAP made a few (Melcor Audio Products, employed people who eventually started API)
- There were some called "Angus" modules, as well as some modules made by Troisi (those two could be related, im not sure).

There are some fairchild modules that have the same dimensions as the 500 series, but they dont have the 15pin edge card connection... whether or not they operate of 16v, i dont know.
Old 19th July 2005
  #7
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
It would be cool if Purple could make an MC-77 codule for the API racks. Thins about haveing 10 in 3 rack spaces...
Old 19th July 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
It would be cool if Purple could make an MC-77 codule for the API racks. Thins about haveing 10 in 3 rack spaces...
heh heh
Old 19th July 2005
  #9
Gear Addict
 
wilcofan's Avatar
 

Averill should design a Neve2254 style and Purple the MC77 in the API frame!
Old 20th July 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 

That would be cool indeed!

I would be very time consuming though to design. For example the there is significantly less space to put everything, particularly on the front panel. You only have 5'x5' approximately to work on (a Lundahl output transformer is a something like 30mmx28mm, pretty big considering the avaliable space), and components can't exceed 1.5'inch in height. There are also other predetermined design factors such as - +/-16v (an 1176 runs at +30/-10 i believe so you'd have to find a away around that), the location of the output and input pins are always the same too which will effect the PC layout.

It is most likely possible, but its probably not on the list of "to do" things just yet i imagine.

On a positive note, OSA are releasing 2 compressors i believe that are ment to be vintage appropriations! I think they are coming in spring.
Old 20th July 2005
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
On a positive note, OSA are releasing 2 compressors i believe that are ment to be vintage appropriations! I think they are coming in spring.


The first one is arriving in around one month....
Old 20th July 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

averill might be making a compressor for the lunchbox format. They were tossing it around when I was there.
Old 20th July 2005
  #13
Gear Addict
 
wilcofan's Avatar
 

Yeah, there's been rumblings Averill might make a compressor eventually. That's why I made the pitch for a 2254 style!

I have some 525's and I agree it must be a challenge to fit components onto that format but here's hoping.
Old 20th July 2005
  #14
Lives for gear
 
timtoonz's Avatar
Cool...

I just picked up what I think is a decent deal on an OSA 8-space rack (2 MP1-L's and the rack for a grand). Those 6 empty slots are already slyly tempting me...

Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious what most folks would fill out the space with. I'm leaning toward 2 more pre's, 2 eq's, and... 2 compressors? Hmmmmmmm.

Any opinions on the purple audio rack stuff?
Old 20th July 2005
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
cfjis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz
Cool...
Not to hijack the thread but I'm curious what most folks would fill out the space with. I'm leaning toward 2 more pre's, 2 eq's, and... 2 compressors? Hmmmmmmm.

Any opinions on the purple audio rack stuff?
I'd fill it out with pre's and EQ's (I'd get a Distressor over the 525, for the money).
I'd go with a couple of the 512c's, and a couple of 550B's... then add one BAE 312 (for a more vintage tone) and a 560 EQ for guitars and kick.

I'm not very familiar with the Purple Audio stuff in the 500 series form-factor.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 20th July 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

I usually have to ask...

Anyone work with the Avedis EQ?
Old 20th July 2005
  #17
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

Hey Max I've posted a couple time about the avedis e15. Seemed pretty nice for the rock applications i put it through..Snare, EGT, Bass cab I was using with a BAE 312. I had it for about a week and found it useful.
Old 21st July 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjis
I'd fill it out with pre's and EQ's (I'd get a Distressor over the 525, for the money).
I'd go with a couple of the 512c's, and a couple of 550B's... then add one BAE 312 (for a more vintage tone) and a 560 EQ for guitars and kick.

I'm not very familiar with the Purple Audio stuff in the 500 series form-factor.

Cheers,
Charles


The OSA MP1-L is apparently heading towards 1272 in terms of sound quality. I think a pair would be a cool addition to the API's.
Old 21st July 2005
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
cfjis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
The OSA MP1-L is apparently heading towards 1272 in terms of sound quality. I think a pair would be a cool addition to the API's.
Very cool... it would be great to have the tonal variety.
Old 21st July 2005
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
The OSA MP1-L is apparently heading towards 1272 in terms of sound quality. I think a pair would be a cool addition to the API's.

The OSA MP1-L is a little clearer in the low mids/faster than my Brent A 1272 that I compared it to though.
Old 22nd July 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Ziggy!!'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
The OSA MP1-L is a little clearer in the low mids/faster than my Brent A 1272 that I compared it to though.

yeah thats why i said "heading towards", trying not to mislead anyone... i think you also mentioned it wasn't as dark as the BAE...
Old 24th July 2005
  #22
Gear Nut
 

Vocal

Which pre (that fits api frame) would be most recommended for vocals -and which for kick/snare?
Old 24th July 2005
  #23
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

For the record, at least on the voices I've tried it on, the U87ai has sounded great on my new API...

TH
Old 24th July 2005
  #24
Lives for gear
 

I think that Peter is planning on releasing the A-Designs Pacifica as a 500 series mic pre in addition to the 19" rackmount.
Old 24th July 2005
  #25
Don't forget about Paul Wolff and Tonelux.

As well as being the founder of API (I believe I have this correct) Paul is a regular here at Gearslutz and in a few PMs months back he told me that the new Tonelux stuff would be 500 compatible but you would loose some features if I remember correctly.

Can't remember the whole deal but I do remember that he said he got so many requests to make his products for the 500 racks he made it happen.

The 500 stuff is a great thing, I would love to see more suff come out for it.
Old 24th July 2005
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new

As well as being the founder of API (I believe I have this correct)

No, not correct. He was a sales guy in the early API days (I'm guessing he was 15 years old give or take when API was started), API was started by Saul Walker (he should have called it Walker Audio) and from what I understand Michael Tapes was extremely important to that time period also (at least according to the guys I know who were around in the 70's). Not that it matters one way or the other, just trying to clear one misconception that seems to be common.
Old 24th July 2005
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
No, not correct. He was a sales guy in the early API days (I'm guessing he was 15 years old give or take when API was started), API was started by Saul Walker (he should have called it Walker Audio) and from what I understand Michael Tapes was extremely important to that time period also (at least according to the guys I know who were around in the 70's). Not that it matters one way or the other, just trying to clear one misconception that seems to be common.
Very cool... Yes that helps clear it up and now that I have the story I will try to keep it straight.

Thanks man.
Old 25th July 2005
  #28
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuntz
I think that Peter is planning on releasing the A-Designs Pacifica as a 500 series mic pre in addition to the 19" rackmount.
Yes, this is true, and the Pacifica is a pretty smokin' mic pre to boot.
Old 26th July 2005
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Knox's Avatar
 

seems the APSI eqs 'may'
Old 5th August 2005
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
No, not correct. He was a sales guy in the early API days (I'm guessing he was 15 years old give or take when API was started), API was started by Saul Walker (he should have called it Walker Audio) and from what I understand Michael Tapes was extremely important to that time period also (at least according to the guys I know who were around in the 70's). Not that it matters one way or the other, just trying to clear one misconception that seems to be common.
Saul was one of many who started API, and Mike Tapes had little to do with any of it. It was another fellow that slipped my mind who designed the parametric API eq and then went on to start Sound Workshop. Nice guy, I can picture his face but can't remember his name.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump