The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Pres for me
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

New Pres for me

I just bought a pair of BAE 312's after demoing them for a week while recording rock drums! They sound pretty sweet! Check them out if you haven't yet. Good addition to the lunch box!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ok so nobody cares...
Old 19th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I just bought a pair of BAE 312's after demoing them for a week while recording rock drums! They sound pretty sweet! Check them out if you haven't yet. Good addition to the lunch box!
Thanks for that info.. I just got some too vintage and avedis 312s. Posted a thread up about which mics to use with them... WHich model 312 did you get? Got any MP3's on your recording?
T.
Old 19th July 2005
Oh yea..

Did you run them through any eq's or just straight to tape with that killn sound you so speak of?
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Interesting !

I also want to buy BAE 312A pres, but I currently hesitate with API 512c pres.
Really dunno, API are a little more expensive but everyone say they are killer on drums.

I know 300 series are more "mediumish".
Could you compare yours to API 512c pres ?
Do you have audio extracts of a recording made with the BAE 312A?

thank you
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I care.

Nick
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Cool I'm glad someone cares..I mean this is gearslutz right?

I used them in conjuction with the avedis e15eqs for snare and api 560.. for the front of the kik i used the 312 and a 414 tl11 with a 512c and a d112 inside the kik.Worked like a charm! The BAE 312's don't really sound that much like a 512 to me but in a good way. I have used them so far in the last week on three separate drum tracking dates and they have their own distinct sound . Kinda sounded like a more agressive neve to me thus far. The bottom and low midas seem a bit more pronounced than the 512 while the 512's are a little tighter on the bottom. I have yet to hear them with a d.i. bass but from what I have been told by a few engineers the d.i. is more usable than the 512. After demoing them I had to buy them. I think it's cool to have a pair of these and a pair or more of the 512's. I'll try to wrangle some samples together.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

The 312 I got are the newest ones they are making. The avedis opamp are supposedly better than the current line of 2520 opamps in the new 512's . Avedis showed me the diff between the new and old API opamps the new ones are smaller and are surface mount to keep the cost down. Avedis modeled his after the heyday era api opamps (huntinton or Melville I believe..) At any rate you can't go wrong with the new 312's by BAE, they are an improved design over their earlier ones they made. Avedis also said they will be releasing a new and improved e 15 eq with more Freq's by the end of the year they will be about the same price as the current e15. so I may be getting one of those.

thumbsup
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, thanks for the info

Does this mean i can use more an API 512c on the snare drum and a BAE 312 on the bass drum ?
Reading your post, it appears I can't go wrong with any of those pres. They rock.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have only tried the the 312's on the outside of the kik as the 512 keeps me plenty happy inside the kik. The 312's worked great on snare too. Also worked great on Heavy EGT and on a bass cab. Can't go wrong with either the 512 or the BAE 312'a IMHO.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

In my experience, the BAE 312 is more like the vintage API 512's than the current 512c's (I have a 512b that sounds closer to the BAE)... not better, just different... but, definitely both are cool (awesome on drums).

-CJ
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

CJ...you totally nailed it about BAE's and that what Avedis said he designed them after.
Old 20th July 2005
Thanks for the info.. Hurry and get some postings up so I can check the sound out. I'm rewiring my studio up now.. How much did the Eq's set you back?
Would you say they are definitely worth it?
Let me know,
T.
Old 20th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
CJ...you totally nailed it about BAE's and that what Avedis said he designed them after.
sweet... that's cool to know.

Congrats on the new (kick ass) pres.
-CJ
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

I didn't buy the avedis eq..I did buy a api 560 which for recording drums among many other things is worth it's weight in gold. I don't know about $950 for the current e15 eq. He's releasing a new version of the e15 later this year which I'm gonna checkout for sure. .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search