The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
No brainer 2mix processors
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

No brainer 2mix processors

I built a studio in my home that's growing pretty nicely. I don't have my ADAM S3a's yet, and the room isn't perfectly tuned yet (not gonna until I move). However, I do quite a bit of professional work, and I'm looking for the most "no-brainer" 2 bus compressor. I used to own a Smart C2 which was cool, but I didn't totally love it. I've used the Manley Vari-Mu a bunch, and it's great it adds a nice color, but the compresson can soften up a punchy track sometimes.

I was curious about STC-8 and API 2500 and Tube-Tech mutiband. I work fast because it's mostly advertising work (from orchestra to everything else). Are these boxes tricky to dial in because they have so many options. Once you slap the Vari-Mu on a track, even with -1 compression, it sounds better (most of the time). I love to know if there is something out there that does that "instant better" thing, but is a little faster than the Vari-Mu. As far as non compressors go, maybe something like a Hedd???
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

both the api and the stc-8 are easy to get sounding good, hard to get sounding bad. both have a lot of glue at 1db GR. the api is way colored, the stc8 is much more neutral. the api offers a lot of options for the sound of the compression, but the sound of the compressor itself is consistent: chunky lows, grungy mids, analog hi's. the cranesong is just plain smooth, very analog.

you better love the api if it's your only box, because every mix will sound like it. you better love the sound of your mixes if the cranesong is your only box, because they'll sound essentially the same on the flip side.

i say play with them; you'll know in less than a minute which you prefer. and have fun, those are great pieces!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Guru

A cool one to Look into: the Thermionic Culture Phoenix..
Big warm sounds.. keeps the freqs and detail.
I've been using it a lot on the bus and drum rooms lately..great.
I a little bored of the slammed sound [ssl,c2] lately..
this thing rocks.
Clean to colored to distortion depending on the input gain. heh
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael
I was curious about STC-8 and API 2500 and Tube-Tech mutiband. I work fast because it's mostly advertising work (from orchestra to everything else). Are these boxes tricky to dial in because they have so many options. Once you slap the Vari-Mu on a track, even with -1 compression, it sounds better (most of the time). I love to know if there is something out there that does that "instant better" thing, but is a little faster than the Vari-Mu. As far as non compressors go, maybe something like a Hedd???
Tube Tech Multiband is "very" complicated, so was the STC8 in the beginning (at least for me)
The API2500 is pretty straightforward and sounds brilliant, but as RoundBadge said before, you really have to listen to the Phoenix. Okay, it's not superfast, but what a sound. The audio seems to come closer to the speaker, it's really amazing !
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm...so I'm gonna assume that the API isn't gonna be the first (or second) choice for orchestral music.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

Try the C1, its better sounding on two mix then the C2. The C2 adds a sheen and brightness, the C1 adds a smack and glues the bottom.

Steve
www.bangrecording.com
www.blacklinerock.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search