The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LEX 480L hints and tips.
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
To give this thread revival some more substance and answer the question that started it, i'll share some tips about the 480L that i found online some years ago. All credits go to the guy from Jamsync who wrote it:

USING THE SAMPLER The 480L's sampler programs that use one machine can capture up to three seconds. This function allows you to tweak without tying up your main playback machine.
Put the 480L in Cascade mode. Load the FWD&REV 1.5 sampler (Bank 7, Preset 5) into Machine A.
Load your reverb or effect into Machine B. Set the wet/dry mix in B to 100% dry. Capture a short sample (about 250 milliseconds) by hitting the REC button.
Go to page two and trim the head and tail by repeatedly pushing the Cue button while adjusting the HEAD and FWD TIM sliders.
Set the “<>” (Play Order) slider to the maximum value.
Set the REV TIM slider to its maximum value. Then, go to page three and set the LEVL REV to “off.”
Go to page four and set TLV to Continuously. Push the Play button to start playback of the loop.
Go to Machine B and set mix back to the normal setting (usually 100% dry). Tweak the effect. When you have finished, change the machine configuration back to your normal mode.

MULTIPLE SOURCES FOR COMPLEX, REALISTIC REVERBS

Try using the Cascade mode and Illusion to create a complex reverb that approximates a natural environment. Illusion is a 40-tap delay effect with randomly modulating voices — sans pitch variation. Feeding it into the reverb creates the illusion of many more sources.
Set the machine mode to Cascade. Load Illusion (Bank 5, Preset 1) into Machine A. Load Large R Hall (Bank 11, Preset 1) into Machine B. Adjust the mix control of Illusion to change the feel of space.
Warning: This approach requires some fine adjustment to get it right once you've found the area of the fader that approximates the sound you need.

SHAPE + SPREAD = NEW SOUNDS
You can create almost any desired envelope using Shape and Spread. The effect is similar to the ADSR (Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release) or envelope generator controls of a synthesizer. Start with Large R Hall (Bank 11, Preset 1) or Large Hall (Bank 1, Preset 1).
Set pre-delay to zero. Set spread to 128. Adjust shape. Low values resemble plate reverb, while middle values (around 128) sound more like halls. Values around 190 sound like gated reverb, and above 190, the reverb has a reverse build, with amplitude increasing rather than decaying. Want something really wild?
Go to page two and set the DCO to Effects to unlink the size control. When the size control is linked, it works to keep the reverb sounding somewhat “natural,” and it changes the RT and Spread values. Unlinked, anything goes. Try a very small size with a long decay time.

REAL-SOUNDING SAMPLES
To make percussion and drum samples sound as if they were recorded in a room, start with Ambience (Bank 13, Preset 2).
Turn the RTL Level off. Adjust “size” to get the correct size of space.
Adjust wet/dry mix on console to set distance of “virtual microphone” from instruments.
Add back RTL Level of reverb as desired.

3-D REVERBS USING PANORAMA
An interaural crosstalk cancellation program, Panorama resembles listening to headphones, except the sound image is outside the head (unlike most headphones) for a 3-D effect. Material that has a strong out-of-phase component will seem to surround the listener. It's almost like having virtual surround speakers, so you can use it to create the illusion of surround reverb. Set the machine mode to Cascade.
Load a reverb into Machine A.
Load Panorama (Bank 9, Preset 0) into Machine B.
Adjust Panorama speaker angle (ANG) to change the 3-D impression.

WHAT'S MY SETUP?
When many people have access to the 480L and they change configurations, it's easy to start a session with the wrong setting.
For instance, if the last person left the machine set to analog, then you won't see or hear your digital input.
Push the CTRL key. Move the STA slider on page one. You'll see the status of key settings scroll by.

Isn't that gold?
Alex, you sir, are the man!! Printed, 3 holes punched, and now bound in the manual!
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork View Post
dude- here's what you're looking for.

snare- small + stage. blend it w/ a PCM70 on locker room and you'll get a very popular snare room sound. blends great. less filling.

vocals- don't use the 480 much for vocal verbs but-

A Plate is popular. Thoener uses that a lot on stuff.

If the unit has the classic cart then go looking for Chamber A or Rich Chamber.

for spaced out BGVs mess around with Silicia Beads. .

Buckram and Brick Wall can sound great
on tighter stuff.

Obviously, this is all song dependant. Hope that helps.

FRS
dag you just brought back memories
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsthang' View Post
"Curious as to why your looking for a 480L and not the 960L. It's our latest mainframe and one will be supporting for years to come. We stopped making the 480L a little over a year ago"

everglass wrote:

Hmm, that would be because it's thousands cheaper.

Go figure.........

Actually the street on a new 480L was about $10K when we stopped making them. The digital I/O version, the 960LD, streets for about $10,995. Not that much different. True, the used market on a 480L is a bit lower but the box is not supported with new software anymore. The 960L is just starting it's life cycle.

"Buckram", "Wood Room", "Fat Plate" are a few of the more popular 480 presets. Version 4.1 was the last software release, that allowed you to use the carts, Classic Cart (old 224 presets) and the Surround Cart (allowed you to mix both the stereo outputs for a 2in/4out configuration, also allowed you to combine both machines to create one reverb)
Doug, I just bought a 960l and I love the box the reverbs and delay are beautiful .
The only problem is lexicon does not give enough value for the price..I can eat the price for what it does but most people wont..I've never used a 480 nor do I want to or need to but I've used a system 6000 and it just has so much more in the box for the money..on the lex I run at 96k sample rates and half my presets go away..yes the reverbs are better for music as far as I'm concerned but the box is capable of so much more.. whats the hold up?
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear
[QUOTE= Now getting it repaired or finding parts when I need them is or will be more of an issue. [/QUOTE]

AMEN!

Remember Lexicon are now part of the Harmen group. Forget spares for the 480L.
Old 30th March 2007
Gear Addict

I've been a 480L user since V1.whatever. I still use it today along with a TC M6000 with four engines. Heck, I still use a Klark Technic 780 and the old Quantec Room Simulator.

But the 960? Between losing functions at 96 k and the extremely non-intuitive remote, I'd rather use almost anything else.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Joel Silverman originally supplied the useful 480L tips quoted in the post above. He was at Lexicon in the good ol' pre-Harman days, then JamSync in Nashville, and now is Operations Manager at Millennia Media. Joel is a source of great knowledge and tips!
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX View Post
I've been a 480L user since V1.whatever. I still use it today along with a TC M6000 with four engines. Heck, I still use a Klark Technic 780 and the old Quantec Room Simulator.

But the 960? Between losing functions at 96 k and the extremely non-intuitive remote, I'd rather use almost anything else.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Joel Silverman originally supplied the useful 480L tips quoted in the post above. He was at Lexicon in the good ol' pre-Harman days, then JamSync in Nashville, and now is Operations Manager at Millennia Media. Joel is a source of great knowledge and tips!
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Doug, I just bought a 960l and I love the box the reverbs and delay are beautiful .
The only problem is lexicon does not give enough value for the price..I can eat the price for what it does but most people wont..I've never used a 480 nor do I want to or need to but I've used a system 6000 and it just has so much more in the box for the money..on the lex I run at 96k sample rates and half my presets go away..yes the reverbs are better for music as far as I'm concerned but the box is capable of so much more.. whats the hold up?
Here's what the hold up is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Harman
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
The design of the 960L is so that we can adapt to changing technology. The 480L was around for 15+ years in a time when technology was also moving quickly. If you want to buy a 480L then go for it.. it's our most famous unit we used to make. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want to get a piece of gear's limited to expansion or do you want a piece of gear that can grow and change with your studio's technology base. If you could buy an old analog board that was popular in it's day would you? or would you pay a little more to get a board that was better suited for today's technology?. That's all, you can't go wrong buying a 480L. We hit a home run with that piece.

Without saying too much, don't want to tip our hand, but I'd hold off any purchase of mid priced high end($3K-$5K) effects processors for a bit.

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon

We have a960L and we use it analogue only (except for a couple of customers). I notice that there are plenty of empty slots in the box. Can I expect to fill them any time soon? (And if so what with?)

I ask because there does not seem to be much movememt around the 960L of late. You have not sold that many recently - I gues all those who wanted or needed one have got one - and we have not heard of any updates for about three years.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

!
my son can use the remote and he's 13 so that's not the issue..lol I love the remote...I've owned the 6000 to so I know the difference...I don't care about that just what's in the box...and what could be in the box..the reverbs and delays are still worth it as far as I'm concerned especially for music not DVD surround...lexicon reverb just seem to blend or sound better with instruments.I have a rev 4000 on the side for some use but not much
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

still no reply from dougsthang??????????????????????????????????????????
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:

But the 960? Between losing functions at 96 k and the extremely non-intuitive remote, I'd rather use almost anything else!

Errr . . . you must have tried the Behringer copy then!

The Lexicon Larc is even easier to use than the Radar session controller. I just do not understand what you are going on about. No engineer that has ever visited our studio has had to read the manual for the 960L.

To state that it is 'non-intuitive' would imply that the person using it cannot read. I can think of no other explanation!
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
We have a960L and we use it analogue only (except for a couple of customers). I notice that there are plenty of empty slots in the box. Can I expect to fill them any time soon? (And if so what with?)

I ask because there does not seem to be much movememt around the 960L of late. You have not sold that many recently - I gues all those who wanted or needed one have got one - and we have not heard of any updates for about three years.
Owners of the 960L have now joined the club with the 480L owners. BTW the 960L is a fantastic machine (verbs are a bit different than the usual Lexi sound but are nothing short of great).

We're in an elite club (much like wing walkers) and right now guys like Jim Williams, and Jim Fabiano are our best friends.

It is guys like them that have taken over the responsible and honorable position that the Harm-on folks SHOULD be doing. Harm-ons loss, and their gain.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 View Post
Its absolutely disgusting reading that...
They such f**cking ars*holes. Throwing away spare parts is unbelievable!!
What other companies have Harmon taken over, i want to make sure i NEVER buy anything from them...
I see someone edited the page, removing the referrence to Studer.

Wikipedia is no longer excepted as a source of fact or info in most universities and institutions of learning. There IS hope after all.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear
surprised no one's mentioned autopark w/ a little predelay - great for making them toms huge.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
I guess you're barking up the wrong tree there. That was 3-4 years ago.

And Doug is probably working at the local liquor store now... He couldn't care less.

B.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barish View Post
I guess you're barking up the wrong tree there. That was 3-4 years ago.

And Doug is probably working at the local liquor store now... He couldn't care less.

B.

LOL..by the way he was talking i thought he was working for them... my bust
Old 24th January 2008
LEXICON 480L

Anyone have any idea where I can get a back plane for a 480l? I tried Lexicon and Fabiano, both are out of business now and there are no parts, thanks in advance for any tips!
Old 24th January 2008
theother
Quote:
Curious as to why your looking for a 480L and not the 960L. It's our latest mainframe and one will be supporting for years to come. We stopped making the 480L a little over a year ago. Used is about the only markey out there, though I do know one dealer in LA who actually has one of the last new 480's in a box.

We also just brought the 300 series to it's end of life.

Doug Marhoffer
Lexicon
Los Angeles
Because the 960L sounds like crap! (ok, that's my take, and some out there seem to love it)

I sold the 960 after 2 weeks, being very very disappointed. Loved the colour LCD on the LARC2 with motor faders though. But the sound? The sound...
It's not even close to a 480L. Closer to a PT plugin.

I'm back on the 480L, 224XL, 200, PCM70, PCM42s now. My all time favourites!

the 300 doesn't sound like a 480 at all. They just used the LARC at a later stage to control it.

I learned it the hard way. When it came out the salespimp said to me it's half of a 480. So I bought it. Until I heard a real 480 next to it and my jaw dropped to the floor.
Yes it was 'half of a 480'. Unfortunately 'half of the sound' and not just one machine of the two the 480L had.
Still, the 300 can be nice for some things. It's just not a 480L.
Old 24th January 2008
480L

The only thing wrong with the 480 L is that no one has parts, and no one can fix them, not to mention the company will not support the most famous digital reverb ever made,
One that is in every studio in the world.
DUMB.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

How do you know Fabiano is out of business? He goes away for a while but he's around. What "back plane" do you need? For the LARC?
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
Because the 960L sounds like crap! (ok, that's my take, and some out there seem to love it)

I sold the 960 after 2 weeks, being very very disappointed. Loved the colour LCD on the LARC2 with motor faders though. But the sound? The sound...

I'm back on the 480L, 224XL, 200, PCM70, PCM42s now. My all time favourites!

the 300 doesn't sound like a 480 at all. They just used the LARC at a later stage to control it.

I learned it the hard way. When it came out the salespimp said to me it's half of a 480. So I bought it. Until I heard a real 480 next to it and my jaw dropped to the floor.
Yes it was 'half of a 480'. Unfortunately 'half of the sound' and not just one machine of the two the 480L had.
Still, the 300 can be nice for some things. It's just not a 480L.
Agree totally!! Have the exact same ones except swap out the 200 for the 300. I use the 300 for the classic stuff that doesn't require as much color. But as for all the rest - ayyup! And nothing beats having a 224XL and 4480L hanging off of one LARC.
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Guru

Hopefully Jim Fabiano will be back this year as he mentioned on his website. I got a box that needs fixing.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

For punchy rock snare stuff, check out Lg Wood Room. You shrink down the room size to 16-22m, and maybe brighten it up a bit. It is punchy and grainy in a good way for percussion. It was one of those "secret weapon" programs for me years back. I'm not sure if it was in ver.1 or not.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Beyersound you're talking about the 480?

(this reader is a bit confused)

Jo
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

I have to respectfully disagree. We use both daily and I find them interchangeable with very little sonic difference. To me it's just an extended 480L with more engines and I/O. I actually prefer the 960L because the LARC is more intuitive. They're both very good units but I could easily live without the 480L.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo View Post
Beyersound you're talking about the 480?

(this reader is a bit confused)

Jo
Yes, the 480L.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomixer View Post
Anyone have any idea where I can get a back plane for a 480l? I tried Lexicon and Fabiano, both are out of business now and there are no parts, thanks in advance for any tips!
er, you obviously didn't look very hard!

Lexicon®

Software/Parts/Upgrades
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Old 25th January 2008
OBVIOUS

The unit went back to Lexicon, they said it was unfixable. They never reccomended anyone, not even Fabiano. I left some email messages and phone messages. I got back automated replies saying he had left the business and had taken on a new job.

Any other constructive comments would be welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre View Post
er, you obviously didn't look very hard!

Lexicon®

Software/Parts/Upgrades
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear