The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your favorite mic used with API for vocals
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Your favorite mic used with API for vocals

Wondering what peoples favorite vocal mics are that complement api 512 pre's and vice versa. I am aware of the fact that certain microphone/pre combos can accentuate qualities of the patricular mic that you are using. I've been thinking about getting an Sm7, Rode NT2, Peluso 22 47, or a Lawson 47. I really just want one outstanding go to mic to do vocals with, one that won't leave me longing for something better. Tell me about your favorite mics that you use with your api's. Thanx y'all!
Old 18th July 2005

Soundelux U99 had always given me good results with male vocals...
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Wot price range + type of vocal?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'd reach for the 58!!! that's the only mic I use with the 512c for vocals. I have to be honest as well, It's the last pre I reach for when tracking vocals. ez
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Maniac

shure sm58 with 512c when you are recording a very very loud and rockish singer, that needs to cut through walls of sounds (think guitars, synths, and loud drums) and processed loops (think NIN).
for everything else, i would look somewhere else.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Since I don't have any 'hi end mics" I'll try to stick to what I know...

Older technology condensors SM57/58s, RE15/16, and so on, seem to give me the best results....followed closely by my old ADK A51 Ser III mics...

Alas - I should not be posting at all...my "API" pres are the OSA MP1C clones, that sound and react just as the 512s I've used....

Do my suggestions still count?
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

In general, a great pre like the API will make a dynamic mic shine. That's why it's such a nice combination to use with the SM7. But, it really makes SM57 and 58 shine as well. I think that's why it's so easy to get a good gtr sound with a 57 when using an API pre. Snares also. When guys complain about not liking the 57 for gtr or snare, I always wonder what pre they're using. If they really heard them through an API, they'd probably fall in love with the sound.

Anyway, you'll also find that most modern, transformerless mics don't really come alive the way a dynamic will. That's sort of the good thing about them when using less than stellar gear overall, but the bad thing when you do have a few top notch pres to work with. The changes in sound between pres is less drastic. But, throw on an older, transformer mic and you'll find some cool pairings.

later,
m
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus
I am aware of the fact that certain microphone/pre combos can accentuate qualities of the patricular mic that you are using.

whereas, i am still unaware of that.
Old 18th July 2005
With my 512, depending on the vocalist I use either a U87, a Soundelux U195 or a Peluso 2247. Most of the time the Peluso wins out.
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Wot price range + type of vocal?
Male vocals. Trying to keep it around a grand to fifteen hundred.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

For a grand, I'd get an Audio Technica 4047 SV and a Shure SM7b. They both sound lovely thru a 512. 4050 is an option, but I prefer the 4047.

That being said, I'm dying to try an AEA R92 on my v. chords.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Max beat me to it. Get the SM7 and something else like the 4047. Then put the extra $800 or so on something else....another API pre. Or better yet a 560b eq....
later,
m
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Male vocals. Trying to keep it around a grand to fifteen hundred.
Get a Soundelux U195, SM58 and MD441, that will cover most of your male vocals and fits your budget (with a little shopping around).

And the good thing is, any decent pre will do, certainly your API preamp...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 18th July 2005

In that price range, the U195 and the SM7!
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've been using a MD441 through a 312 pre and loving what comes out for this singer. Huge wall of guitars and Drums to cut through. Seems to be no problem with this mic. Atleast for this project anyhow.

On a side note, I seem to be constantly supprised by how good the MD441 sounds on alot of things...

ERic
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've never touch a SM58 since I tried a Sure Beta 58. It's another world...

Insomnio
Old 19th July 2005
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I love the sound of an SM-7 through my 512b&c's... and an sm57 sounds surprisingly perfect for a lot of rock stuff (even though I sometimes feel lame using it with other more expensive mics sitting around... but, hey, when its right, its right).

No matter how you slice it, be psyched you're tracking with some API's!!

-CJ
thumbsup
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think it`s funny how people are mostly listing inexpensive dynamic mics.

I love 57`s and 441`s on my API myself but I also love my U99 and 121 and any other mic I`ve put through it for that matter.

The idea that API`s better suited for dynamics is a little off.

API will sound great on ANY mic whether it be a 57 or a $5000 tube condenser.
Old 19th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I tried my Blue Kiwi some time ago on male vocals through a 512c and was really impressed.
Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

The 512c is literally the first 'pro' mic preamp I bought. In fact, if you don't count a Langevin DVC, it's the only kind of mic preamp I've owned.

Reading this thread, I'm thinking it must be the heavyweight champion of low-priced Gearslut approved mic preamps. Considering you can pick up another input channel for around $600, anyway.

I've never looked back anyway!
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

on al schmitt's recommenadation a few years ago i bought a at 4060 and on william wittman's rec. i bought the 512c. together they spank.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Nut

so then given the choice, a 512 would be chosen over a 312? The reason I ask is i've always thought about grabbing an API 3124, but maybe i should get some 512s.

michael
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Is there a place to listen both the 512c and 312 API pres ? (I mean audio extracts)
Just to compare a little...
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamrecords
so then given the choice, a 512 would be chosen over a 312? The reason I ask is i've always thought about grabbing an API 3124, but maybe i should get some 512s.

michael
Who said they sound different? That's been discussed here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...=3124+insomnio

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
whereas, i am still unaware of that.
Is all this a myth?
Maybe, a good pre will make all mics sound as good as they can, and that's it.

Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
Who said they sound different? That's been discussed here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...=3124+insomnio

very cool thread, thanks Insomnio.

michael
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio
Is all this a myth?
Maybe, a good pre will make all mics sound as good as they can, and that's it.

I highly respect wwhitman's opinion on any subject. I would like to know as well if wether or not it's all myth that certain pre/microphone combinations accentuate certain qualities about the mic. I was speculating when I posted, assuming that was the case. Any one with a theory on the subject. Maybe wwhitman could chime in here and shed some light?
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
I highly respect wwhitman's opinion on any subject. I would like to know as well if wether or not it's all myth that certain pre/microphone combinations accentuate certain qualities about the mic. I was speculating when I posted, assuming that was the case. Any one with a theory on the subject. Maybe wwhitman could chime in here and shed some light?
I am obviously not WW and I don't want to speak for him but I gather it is his opinion that this whole mic preamp matching thing is marketing hype. He has posted some interesting threads about it and I must say he has a convincing argument, but so do others. It is still up for debate and I am sure this is just the next round.

Again not speaking for him but he feels that many of the best recordings were done on one console with one set of pre amps and this provided some glue to the mixes to get one tone for a track or a project.

Now he is not saying you can use any ol' preamp, he is talking about quality stuff 1073's, 1081's, 512's etc but the idea has some validity. Others obviously disagree but the one preamp on a project thing works well for him.

So to answer your question, to WW the "myth" is not that certain pres have a tone, that is pretty obvious. To him the "myth" is that you should match preamp tones to the mic and the source, these two concepts are different.

Sorry if I misquoted you William.

For me I still this is worth investigating even though I have a bunch of cool and different sounding pres. When I finally get my studio back up and running this is one of the first tests I plan on making. One whole song with one set of pres and the same song with a bunch of different pres to settle the argument once and for all.... for me at least.....

heh
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

This week, in the "Help me with my pres" thread I was surprised; that guy had seven pres and two mics! When I asked if he really had 'seven pres for two mics' he didn't get it. He thought I was talking about mathematics (7 for 2 ???).

I had several pres and sold most of them when I realized that the main difference comes with the mics, not the pres. How can you have four pres and only one mic? The pres add something to the sound, ok; but you can't compare it with the color of a mic. So, the palette of colors is the paint (mic) not the brush (pre). I’ve never agreed with the analogy of the camera: “the pres are the lens”. That can’t be! The mics have the same influence as the lens, while the pre acts as the body of the camera.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search