The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic pre recommendation for bass guitar..
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Any good DI does the trick and any good preamp will provide the gain for the mic on the cab. I've used API, TG2, IBP and some Ampeg DI output on the amp and to be honest, the differences are small. In fact, after the recording, I wouldn't be able to hear which one I used...

On bass guitar, the bass and the player are so so so much more important than the gear, almost more than on drums IMHO.

However, when I use a mic and a DI the IBP comes in very handy. When using both, I tend to got for a more distorted tone from the amp and a nice lowend fat tone from the DI (I have absolutely no problem compressing severly an a bass DI on the way in).
I'd worry about the compressor more than the DI used, but I haven't heard the REDDI which some people I know seem to dig very much.

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 17th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
The Evil Twin comes as a micpre and DI.... Eclair Engineering... The heat! (AND NOT AS EXPENSIVE AS SOME OTHERS LISTED)
I had one of these in house for a couple of days. My initial impression is thumbsup . I'm going to borrow it a few more times over the next couple of weeks. I'll see if I *really* like it. I may be buying it.

Oh yeah.. Usually API.. Mic and DI.

Andrew
Old 18th August 2005
ever check out a Walter Woods amp? i use the pre as a DI when recording, it has a balanced XLR out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search