The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for Monitors - anything more punchy than the O300, yet as wide?
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Looking for Monitors - anything more punchy than the O300, yet as wide?

Hey there,

I`m currently looking for some new monitors... Having worked on smallers nearfields (Tannoy Reveal, Adam P11) most of the time, I always wanted to get a bigger overall picture...

So now I`ve got the O300`s here for evaluation, and while I like their clarity and width, I have a feeling I am missing the punch I`ve gotten from the smaller ones (like the P11 and the Tannoys). I remember having to fight them hard sometimes but have gotten great results. I felt like their punch made it easier for me to judge compression and transients and mix them the way I`d like them to be.

They would be great - if there wasn`t just the guesswork they`d leave me in certain areas, making it really hard for me to mix complicated or badly recorded material. I really didn`t like the Tannoys (the older passive reveals) for their clouded bass and highs, and I have to say I never grew on the Adams, their ribbon tweeter made me go crazy.

Regarding the O300s, they make me feel like I`m finished with the mix too soon. Due to their lack of the "in the face"-punch of smaller nearfields, I feel it`s hard to judge compression on them.

I`ve heard the Barefoots last week and they have that great transparency going on from top the bottom, but I had the same feeling here. It just let`s you see through the mix, have you step into it, but it does not punch the transients/dynamics out. I guess that`s a feature that I personally appreciate for mixing. Will have to see how it goes when I have them at my place to mix on them.

So far, I`m just wondering: Maybe I`m simply a small-nearfield type-of-guy? Maybe the smaller ones let me reference the "size"/fatness of a mix better.

On the other hand, I know you have to take the time and learn your monitors, so maybe that`s the key with the O300s here. But then again, I feel like I don`t want to miss the punch thing, because it`s probably the way I`d like to mix.

If I just used bigger monitors for reference, but not as my main mixing monitors, of course, I don`t like to spend 4000 Euros on them. What would be a nice "Hifi"-Reference instead?

Or is there any bigger monitor that I`m missing out?
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear
Did you consider buying a sub for your nearfields? I'm not very experienced with subwoofers but I had a listen to adam's sub 10 mk2 and it was really good, it actually wasn't punching it was kicking
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Did you consider buying a sub for your nearfields? I'm not very experienced with subwoofers but I had a listen to adam's sub 10 mk2 and it was really good, it actually wasn't punching it was kicking
Yeah, thought about this, too... I`d be a bit afraid of making "smaller" sounding mixes that way... More on the bottom-shy side of things... But then again, I could use it just for reference, if needed.

I was hoping I could get a solution without a sub necessary, so it would be easier to deal with the room, placement etc...
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

How are the Focals (Solos/Twins) concerning the punch that I like from the Tannoys & Adams?
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Addict
maybe consider adding a set of nearfields for a-b ing with?
Dyn BM6 perhaps?
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Addict

Nico,
PM gesendet.

Beste Grüße,
Leon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search