The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
A compressor for £800?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

A compressor for £800?

Hi guys, I've got up to £800 ($1400) to buy a compressor+limiter, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions... - are there any clear winners in this price range? I only want 1 channel for vocals (i use a u87 into a john hardy preamp) and i'd put it in at the front of the chain, right after the mic. Basically my vocals have a large dynamic range, in particular, loud peaks that suddenly appear and disappear - i blame my lungs. Anyway, I dont think the compressor in my roland 8 tracker is very good. I'd like something that will basically even out volume and get rid of mad peaks, without colouring the sound (optional colouring is welcome). If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

sach
Old 17th July 2005
A used Tubetech CL1B.

Later on you can change the tubes.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

CL1B is my first recommendation to anybody for a workhorse compressor, vocals and bass especially.

It's got a great big hi-fi line-amp and I find myself once and a while checking to see if it's on. FRIGHTNING moment when it's bypassed!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

U can get a Distresser 4 $1,400.....
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Nut

thanks 4 the replies guys. Do you know how the CL1B compares to other units I've been recommended like the distressor, la-3, RNC, something by dbx...

the music I play is mainly rock n roll, but my style varies (main influences - springsteen, libertines, neil young, dylan). My voice sounds quite a bit like dylan's. In singing I tend to have quite rapidly appearing (and disappearing) peaks, which is what I want to get rid off, with minimal colouring of the sound.... are any of those compressor/limiters are best suited to my application?... Are there any obvious main differences between any of these compressors that would help me choose?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

TT Cl1b is a very good one.

But, with minimal colour you said? Why?

I bet "Blood on the Tracks" has loads of coloured compression..

ruudman
Old 23rd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sach16
thanks 4 the replies guys. Do you know how the CL1B compares to other units I've been recommended like the distressor, la-3, RNC, something by dbx...

the music I play is mainly rock n roll, but my style varies (main influences - springsteen, libertines, neil young, dylan). My voice sounds quite a bit like dylan's. In singing I tend to have quite rapidly appearing (and disappearing) peaks, which is what I want to get rid off, with minimal colouring of the sound.... are any of those compressor/limiters are best suited to my application?... Are there any obvious main differences between any of these compressors that would help me choose?

I've never found a vocal that the CL1B does not work on.

Its the most versatile vocal tracking comp/limiter around.

You just put it in the chain and it works.

That being said if you want a sonic signature maybe look at an original 1176.

Its the defacto standard tracking rock vocal comp.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Nut

hey guys i've been looking around for a used cl1b but dont see one anywhere (i'm in the uk). Do you have any other recommendations? I cant really just wait around for one to turn up, I need one kinda soon.

I might like colouring on my vocals, but i'd rather have a clean compressor and the option of colouring, because i like my voice natural, just with a smoother dynamic would be nice, in particular, without those painful peaks.

i'd really appreciate any other suggestions...
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Maybe this is the kind of unit that could be of interest: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/6139/0

A member of another forum traced the comp circuit out, and compared it to the '70s Trident design - it is identical in every way.

Failing that, the only suggestion I would have would be to trawl through Funky Junk's secondhand / discount gear list

FJ are pretty helpful, you could always 'phone Albert or Mark and ask them for a recommendation - bear in mind FJ are in the game for the long-term, and will not recommend junk!

Hope this helps!

Justin
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

thanks justin, i actually that link by google last night, and called them up this morning. They have some old la-3s in, but at £2000 a pair (they won't sell seperate), its too much. La-4s are affordable but i hear theyre not really that good.

i think i'll go for something vintage, which wouold be an investment too...

funky junk have an audio&design f760xrs, a dbx 165a.... anyone know anything about these for vocals?
Old 28th July 2005
Here for the gear

The drawmer 1968 is a good mix bus comp, but I actually use it more for tracking - it sounds really smooth. It's quite hard to make it sound bad really...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search