The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Decision time: Neve Portico or Focusrite ISA 428?
Old 28th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
The Focus stuff sounds boring and sterile to me..I've used the producer pack quite a bit and have been underwhelmed by it.
I find the producer and session packs to be a be pretty good sounding- but I generally have to spend more time with them to pull the sound I want.
With the Vipre I just have to plug in and it sounds great.
Old 29th March 2006
Here for the gear

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
Why solid-state?tutt ...I'd look into a good tube pre.

whats wronge with solid state? SSL, API, Neve...
I would rather have a kick ass transformer in the signal path than a lesser quality one with a tube in the gain stage-
i'm under the impression that transformers add more color and character to the sound, no?
Old 7th April 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizer View Post
whats wronge with solid state? SSL, API, Neve...
I would rather have a kick ass transformer in the signal path than a lesser quality one with a tube in the gain stage-
i'm under the impression that transformers add more color and character to the sound, no?
I suposse there's nothing wrong with solid state... but transformers do not add more color than what high voltage tubes do. Have you compared an old Fender Bassman with some of the new SS fender series?....

or... maybe comparing the brick and an API preamp would show a huge difference in sound and color perhaps...
Old 5th May 2008
Gear Head

Well, I finally got a Portico 5012 and I'm in the look for at least two more channels of high end.

Would it be worth it to get another portico or to put that money on a ISA 428?... I mostly record acoustic rock but I don't want to use those Digi003 preamps on drums...
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaad30 View Post
Well, I finally got a Portico 5012 and I'm in the look for at least two more channels of high end.

Would it be worth it to get another portico or to put that money on a ISA 428?... I mostly record acoustic rock but I don't want to use those Digi003 preamps on drums...
Portico all the way.
Great pre.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaad30 View Post

428 is a very useful & great sounding machine. You can vary impedance on mic pres in 4 ways, going from dark & soft to bright & hard. You get balanced inserts & with the digi card you get converters for 2 X Porticos or what ever, matching the very open Focusrite pres signature. Instrument inputs are very useful too. With this unit your system will immediately turn to a professional sounding setup without breaking the bank.
Old 26th June 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
428 is a very useful & great sounding machine. You can vary impedance on mic pres in 4 ways, going from dark & soft to bright & hard. You get balanced inserts & with the digi card you get converters for 2 X Porticos or what ever, matching the very open Focusrite pres signature. Instrument inputs are very useful too. With this unit your system will immediately turn to a professional sounding setup without breaking the bank.
I was actually leaving the AD/DA issue out of the picture with a stand-alone unit... However, the ADs offered with this digi card do not seem a bat idea.

I would have to get both, damn
Old 30th December 2016
Gear Maniac

I have an Isa One and i love it!!
Very pretty sound and stands next to my BAE 1073 MPF
i dont hear a difference in Quality. Its just a different sound. The sound of the isa always works.
I did not bought it from the pricetag/bang for the money. Money was not an issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search