The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decision time: Neve Portico or Focusrite ISA 428?
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Ive been where you are at also being a digi002 owner. BTW its nice to see you here Joe..Im kinda between homes (DUC and GS). I started the same way you are by buying outboard pres and mics (Avalon, Vintech, Soundelux) and figured I would be floored by the sound. Dont get me wrong the sound is a very big step up but when I finally got my front end together (Mytek AD 8/96) The difference is now WOW. Clocked to a Great Converter and some nice Pre's the 002 is now just a go between to get my music into PT. Basically bypassing everything about the 002. So basically Ive come to the conclusion you cant have one without the other and expect a overwhelming change in sound.

As far as Focusrite and Neve goes, its all about the sound your after and what your wanting to record (style/type of music instrument). Thats where the addiction sets in. lol You get the Neve and then your gonna want something clean and now your a few grand into the game and it gets worse. You will keep going until you have a few racks of gear and still not satisfied.

My advice Sell it all before you need help breaking the addiction. lol

Seriously though you have to try them out and decide whats right for you.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything Focusrite. Not a thing. The last thing Rupert designed, the 9098, was piece of ****. I'm not sold on the idea behind the Portico yet. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me. The best 4 channel pre for the money is the Daking, and it's also in your price range. It's significantly cheaper than the API 3124, and many people chose my Daking over my APIs in a shootout I posted in PSW. You want quality pres. Start there.

As far as PT users suggestions, he is correct about the A/D upgrade, but if you have crappy signal going into your A/D, it doesn't matter.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Guru

Yeah, the Dakings are great.
I've had mine[the cool vertical ones] for about 11 years now and they always sound great .
never,ever a single problem with em..rock solid.
And the EQ kills.
right up there sonically with the Neves, Chandlers,Api's,etc,etc. stike
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S
The Focusrite ISA 482 is a Neve designed pre. .. without the Neve Price tag.
So is the Portico heh ...

Not sure about the wall wart though.

Best

Vari-Mu
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

That Daking Mic pre/ Eq looks great. Nice stuff. But, it is a little confusing as the only available photos show a pair of units. So, do they come as a pair, or is that just how they are shown for some reason? At $1300.00, that would be a nice price for a pair, including the Eq. I am still not convinced that the Portico is NOT the way to go though. It's 100% NEve and there is a money back (unwritten) guarantee if you don't like it. I can't say that for many other pieces if gear out there.

I am still deciding, but so far, the Portico is what I am leaning toward. That is, unless the Daking is priced for a "pair", then I might have to consider them.

Thanks you guys, keep it coming.

Joel
Old 21st July 2005
ISA - Rosetta - Digi 002

I currently own the ISA - Rosetta - Digi 002

The ISA 428 sounds really clean. Now I havn't used the Portico or anything of that caliber
but for what I am doing this set up sounds excellent.

Check out this thread for what my set up sounds like:

Mp3 upload - Work in progress / advice requested / Show & Tell / Artist showcase
Check out this mix

And the inserts are very handy.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Wow. That is a nice song. I really dug it. I suppose just because it is an MP3 (in small format) it is hard to hear everything, but I am betting that the .wav version of that song/ mix sounds really sweet. Now, what all did you track with the Focusrite, and how? (sorry if that question is asking for too much of your time).

Very nice. Hmmmmm...

Joel
Old 22nd July 2005
Thanks

That was a recording performed by my wife and I a week before a Nashville conference.
honestly I wish we could have actally spent more time to get it tight.

Path went something like this:

Mics: AT4040, C 414, 57s, beta 52, Nt-5s
into: ISA > Octopre > Rosetta >optical into Digi 002.

Due to lack of better connectivity the ISA when through the Octopre analog.

Still sounded pretty good but after bypassing octopre It sounds more detailed and open.

HMMM… Imagine that

anyway, I recored Vocals into the 4040 which ended up not being the best choice but sounds pretty good.
-Bass Gtr sounds awesome through the Di section
-Acoustic gtr > nt 5 sounds clean and airy
-Drums sound great (kik, snare, OHs)
toms through octopre

no outboard gear on the recording due to the fact I don't own any although Im starting to have a buget again.

My take is the ISA would be a good deal for the price. of course the Rosetta absolutely makes a bid difference all around. But that will cost you some where around $2600.
The digital card (which cost around $600 for 8 channels pf cpmversion )that goes with the ISA is supposed to be the same converters as the HD converter.

If you go that route you could buy the portico later and have 6 awesome pres with two converters left over for the next pres and then…

Good luck with your decision
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
It's a fine point. The history I've read says Neve designed the 110 module, to add to existing Neve consoles, while he owned Focusrite Ltd.

Focusrite Audio Engineering Ltd. bought his failed company, including the ISA 110 circuit. And then packaged that circuit into a rack mount ISA 110 preamp. I think saying "nothing Neve about" it may be a little exaggerated.

And yes, many Focusrite products are fine.
Let me set the record straighter.

Mr. Neve designed the circuitry in the 110. Subsequently, the same designs were used in the 215 while Rupert still owned the company. I have asked the chief engineer at Focusrite, the new Focusrite referenced above and owned by Phil Dudderidge, and he insists that all the preamps in the Red Range and the new Blue (430, 220, 428) are all the same preamp circuit.

Well, that's not what my ear tells me. It is possible that it is the same identical circuit design with parts substitutions and/or different board layout, which can have significant impact on the sound. The 430 preamp does not sound like an original 110 to my ear. Anyone who wants to hear it for themself can listen to them side by side on the 3D Preamp CD. Those are my ISA-110s that were bought new in 1987 and have not been altered since.

Mr. Neve has not has anything to do with Focusrite in a design capacity since the company went in receivership and was bought by Phil Dudderidge. I know because
when I was doing the first Preamp CD, I asked Mr. Neve what he thought of the ISA 430. "What's that?" he responded. I told him and he admitted not having any further involvement with any Focusrite products.

That being said, I think that the 428 is pretty respectable for the surprisingly low price, considering it's half the price of an API 3124+. Both will be on the upcoming 3D Preamp Summit DVD and you can hear for yourself.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

With all due respect to Mr. Neve the portico looks like a $200.00 piece of plastic. And two mic pres in a half rack? I dunno.
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
That being said, I think that the 428 is pretty respectable for the surprisingly low price, considering it's half the price of an API 3124+. Both will be on the upcoming 3D Preamp Summit DVD and you can hear for yourself.

Oh, yea, there are a few more than just those two, in case you were wondering.

Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mr. Neve designed the circuitry in the 110. Subsequently, the same designs were used in the 215 while Rupert still owned the company. I have asked the chief engineer at Focusrite, the new Focusrite referenced above and owned by Phil Dudderidge, and he insists that all the preamps in the Red Range and the new Blue (430, 220, 428) are all the same preamp circuit.

Well, that's not what my ear tells me. It is possible that it is the same identical circuit design with parts substitutions and/or different board layout, which can have significant impact on the sound. The 430 preamp does not sound like an original 110 to my ear. Anyone who wants to hear it for themself can listen to them side by side on the 3D Preamp CD. Those are my ISA-110s that were bought new in 1987 and have not been altered since.

Mr. Neve has not has anything to do with Focusrite in a design capacity since the company went in receivership and was bought by Phil Dudderidge. I know because
when I was doing the first Preamp CD, I asked Mr. Neve what he thought of the ISA 430. "What's that?" he responded. I told him and he admitted not having any further involvement with any Focusrite products.
FWIW I have Red 7 and 2 - ISA 430's and the pre's sounds very different to me as well. The ISA 430's are great boxes and I use them on most every overdub and have ye to be disappointed by them. I aslo have a couple of vintage Neve 1272's and find the Focusrite's a lot cleaner and less colored than 1272's.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Lynn, where is your Portico 5012?
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

And Lynn,

I don't see any Daking stuff?
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Nut

what a...

Quote:

what a sick ****
Old 22nd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe
And Lynn,

I don't see any Daking stuff?
On the top of stack 5 are four 52270s.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
On the top of stack 5 are four 52270s.

I stand corrected, again. What do you think of them?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

52270s are amazing. I lucked into getting serial #001 in the vertical units. If you do a search in Fletcher's forum on PSW, I posted a mic pre shootout. Neve 1073, API 512b, Langevin AM16, Inward Connections Vac Rac pre and the 52270 on vox and acoustic guitar. If I had the means, I would have Geoff Daking build me a 40 ch console.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

3124+ defeats portico

I just compared an API 3124+ to the neve portico.
The api was better on every source and it cost less per channel than the portico.
Art Johan
Old 23rd July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe
What do you think of them?
They are very nice. I've used them as often as I have the chance. Plus the Trident A-Range on which they are based is one of my two favorite consoles of all time. The other favorite console would be the Helios.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Just to muddy the waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan
I just compared an API 3124+ to the neve portico.
The api was better on every source and it cost less per channel than the portico.
Art Johan
... and I bought the Porticos instead of a 3124+, and kept the Portiocs 'cause I liked 'em better (I made sure there was a return policy). Gotta say, I think next time I've got $2500, I'll get the 3124+, but, while both pres sound absolutely GREAT to my ears, I found the Portico to be way more versatile.

My point is, (duh) it's down to taste. Not that you're suggesting otherwise, Art, but something about your post seemd to have the "ring of truth" to it, so I had to pipe up, esp. since I'd made the exact same comparison and come to the opposite conclusion. -E
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Why not the CIB????......all over ebay(new) for about the same price.
I remember someone talking about a MOD to place the EQ after the comp.

Quote:
Pure Path by Mr. Rupert Neve
Only the Pure Path® range of signal processing devices can bring you the latest technology designed by Mr. Rupert Neve and crafted by AMEK. Full operational and technical information on each of the units in the Pure Path range is available on a dedicated Pure Path® website, www.purepath.co.uk, including Channel in a Box, Driver in a Box and the new DMCL.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

It's funny, the only people I've ever heard put down the Portico haven't heard it .
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

a rosetta 200 and a portico for $2200? If you can swing that deal , great. I'd look at an apogee Mini Me, used under $1000, that will give you better clock,2 apogee converters, and two really nice clean pres. STill leaves you with 12 bills for a colored pre, BAE 312 fits in that budget, I believe. Yes, it's always a tough choice.
You'd probably have enough left over to buy you and the Mrs. a quarter pounder with cheese at McDoogals. Best of luck.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderM69
It's funny, the only people I've ever heard put down the Portico haven't heard it .

true. and in all fairness, *most* of the people who praise it haven't heard it either.

all hail gearslutz!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

I've yet to hear a Portico, but I'm sure it sounds great. If you really want to save some $$ and get great pre's check out Seventh Circle Audio. This stuff is the real deal. There are currently 4 of the better flavors available from this guy, those flavors being API 312, Neve 1272, John Hardy, and Millenia type...
I'm sure that a Trident style is not far off.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

cib anyone? i think its great.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
cib anyone? i think its great.

Do you have a CIB? If so, how does it sound on male voice and acoustic guitars?

I am curious about SC stuff to, But I can't figure out the ordering! I want two A12 channels in the Box, ready to plug in, but I can't figure out what else I need! HELP ME! I AM AN IDIOT!!!!!

Joel
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Myth busters.

1. The Portico uses a Boa not a Wallwart. Different thing.
2. The Portico is indeed great sounding, I bought one.
3. It is not a $200 peice of plastic but is all metal and very heavy by the way. At least as heavy as a rack mounted 1073.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
Myth busters.

1. The Portico uses a Boa not a Wallwart. Different thing.
2. The Portico is indeed great sounding, I bought one.
3. It is not a $200 peice of plastic but is all metal and very heavy by the way. At least as heavy as a rack mounted 1073.

Awesome.

And I suppose using the Portico with the Apogee 200 through my line level "ins" on My Digi 002, will be a massive improvement over using just the converters and pres on my 002 alone?

Man, I hope the answer is an emphatic, "YES".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search