The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 500 series tracking compressor? 500 Series Dynamics
Old 21st March 2009
Gear Maniac

Best 500 series tracking compressor?

With all the 500 series gear out there. Whats the current best tracking compressor. The very least, I would prefer a compressor that does not alter the sound incase I chose certain pres to achieve a tone and if the tracking compressor does alter the sound, I would prefer that it would make it fatter but not thinner.
Old 21st March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman View Post
With all the 500 series gear out there. Whats the current best tracking compressor. The very least, I would prefer a compressor that does not alter the sound incase I chose certain pres to achieve a tone and if the tracking compressor does alter the sound, I would prefer that it would make it fatter but not thinner.
1)What kind of music are you doing?
2)What is your current record chain?

Is your question about the "best choice" or the "best of all time"? I think I just now see the light. At any rate. I've been digging the Alta-Moda AM-10 compressor/limiter. There are SEVERAL ways of using this animal, either OUT of the way, or IN YOUR FACE!! Its limiting distortion is like the old school limiters of yesteryear, and you can gently caress it into color. I would suspect it will help with bringing out the low level detail in the audio. But it can be varied in an number of ways, too many to list in a post. You can get BIG OPEN solid drums sounds with the AM10, or nice clean and round limiting for tracking.
Old 21st March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
1)What kind of music are you doing?
2)What is your current record chain?

Is your question about the "best choice" or the "best of all time"? I think I just now see the light. At any rate. I've been digging the Alta-Moda AM-10 compressor/limiter. There are SEVERAL ways of using this animal, either OUT of the way, or IN YOUR FACE!! Its limiting distortion is like the old school limiters of yesteryear, and you can gently caress it into color. I would suspect it will help with bringing out the low level detail in the audio. But it can be varied in an number of ways, too many to list in a post. You can get BIG OPEN solid drums sounds with the AM10, or nice clean and round limiting for tracking.
This AM-10 product is too new for me to trust your judgement on it. Are there any reviews or audio samples of it? There's nothing in the search engine.

I guess more of a general tracking comp for vocals, instruments, samples all the way down to bass if it's possible.
Old 21st March 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
This AM-10 product is too new for me to trust your judgement on it. Are there any reviews or audio samples of it? There's nothing in the search engine.

I guess more of a general tracking comp for vocals, instruments, samples all the way down to bass if it's possible.
OUCH! Since when did the Mercenary Guys not prove their worth with their wealth of knowledge and constant help time and time again?
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

By the way, I have wanted to ask this same question for months.

sorry to hijack, but I want to ask the same question....
the instruments for me are the human voice, bass guitar, electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I will not be using it for any radical compressing, just tracking, never mixing.....and for me I do jingles/ads/multimedia music so it is basically very differing genres.
rsp
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
OUCH! Since when did the Mercenary Guys not prove their worth with their wealth of knowledge and constant help time and time again?
I think he would have been able to recommend an older product in the market that's been proven thru time, than a new product that hasn't even gotten a few user reviews here.

I did check out his recommendation but found nothing on it. Still it would have been better if he had recommended a more experienced not new product as a recommendation than one that just came out with not many user's review online or a bit of both.
Old 22nd March 2009
Quote:
The Buzz Essence fits this perfectly IME. Do a search, it gets a lot of love from the people who own and know it. It's basically the same type of comp as the Buzz SOC too, but the SOC is slightly more neutral sounding where the Essence has a hint more color in comparison. But the way they react is the same.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
... Still it would have been better if he had recommended a more experienced not new product as a recommendation than one that just came out with not many user's review online or a bit of both.
You're lucky you got any recommendations at all, especially with your opening question.

You want recommendations or not? Then at least be polite.
Old 22nd March 2009
I have always been curious about the Essence too....if the essence sounds like the SOC1.1 then I can say that it would fit the bill. I track with the Buzz SOC1.1 all the time. Its great on vocals, bass, acoustic and even drum OH.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

i've been researching this like crazy and to me it comes down to Buzz essence for clean, Anamod 660 or Bac 500 for colored and smooth!
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
I have always been curious about the Essence too....if the essence sounds like the SOC1.1 then I can say that it would fit the bill. I track with the Buzz SOC1.1 all the time. Its great on vocals, bass, acoustic and even drum OH.
Hey Croaks

I have the Buzz soc 1.1 and the essence. The buzz soc 1.1 gives like a smooth honey tone. The essence essentially gives the same honey tone but there is a thicker gooiness to the honey tone.

If you havna tried the essence on vocals/bass/drum room mike- do yourself a huge favour and try it. My essence is always in my vocal/acoustic guitar/bass chain -availability permitting.

Hellava comp.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
By the way, I have wanted to ask this same question for months.

sorry to hijack, but I want to ask the same question....
the instruments for me are the human voice, bass guitar, electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I will not be using it for any radical compressing, just tracking, never mixing.....and for me I do jingles/ads/multimedia music so it is basically very differing genres.
rsp
The 525 slays on bass, is great on acoustic and when set up properly does a great job on voice. As far as electrics go....I'm sure it works for that too but I have never tried. I let the tube amps do that.
Old 22nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Hey Croaks

I have the Buzz soc 1.1 and the essence. The buzz soc 1.1 gives like a smooth honey tone. The essence essentially gives the same honey tone but there is a thicker gooiness to the honey tone.

If you havna tried the essence on vocals/bass/drum room mike- do yourself a huge favour and try it. My essence is always in my vocal/acoustic guitar/bass chain -availability permitting.

Hellava comp.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Ya Im sure its great, Buzz makes some nice gear.
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Addict

The only old 500 series compressors are the API 525 and Buzz Essence. Everything else is pretty new. Adam was just giving you a heads up on what he was digging at the moment.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Croaks

Hellava comp.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Hmm, interesting. I have a Buzz Essence and love it too, but think of it as more transparent compression than gooey. Anyway, use it all the time on vocals, bass, and acoustic guit and am very happy with it. Must agree it's a fantastic unit.

GZ
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Maniac

Best 500 comp

Quote:
I think he would have been able to recommend an older product in the market that's been proven thru time, than a new product that hasn't even gotten a few user reviews here.

I did check out his recommendation but found nothing on it. Still it would have been better if he had recommended a more experienced not new product as a recommendation than one that just came out with not many user's review online or a bit of both.
Wow man. So you should´ve said somethin like "don´t recommend any nu gear".
Unlike you i´m always interested in nu gear. All the good old proven peaces of gear have been nu sometime. Everybody has their own taste for things but they also know thing or two @ mercs cause they´ve tested/ and used a lotta gear.....

Somehow i got the impression that you were asking for a personal opinion and not what someone might think what others might think of gear that has been used by someone else. Makes sense not?

Hope you find what you´re looking for. I´m also interested in the same kinda thing u see. What´s the "best" all arounder 500 comp? Though i´m looking for the possibility to get some color as well. The 500 series is obviously constantly evolving since its kinda new thing vs older outboard gear..so there are propably sweet things coming.. Though i think i´m going to get EL9 Mike-E instead of 500 comp for now. That unit is really promising. I´ve ordered one to test and will keep it if it´s what i expect it to be. Maybe you should check it out too. Not 500 but otherwise sounds a lot like what you are after. It´s new! Sorry to mess with your thread. You wanted to talk about 500 and i ended up talking about something else instead. My apologies.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

I have a buzz essence on the way. Pretty excited. I have used the purple action for a couple months and will be able to draw some comparisons in the next couple weeks. Didn't find the purple to be useful at all for vocals so I am hoping the essences can give me a smoother less obvious compression but with slight thickening. From the reviews I have read the essence should do what I want it too. The side chain eq's seem pretty awesome and reminds me of a distressor feature with way more extras. review soon.
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Maniac

I do not know why people are offended. I said how it is. I researched what he recommended and found nada, so I could not trust what he said because it is a new product. I felt because it's a new product, it would have this big stigma of the wow factor until time will eventually get a better evaluation of it.

Can you honestly say that the release of a new product could earn the title of "Best 500 Series Tracking Compressor". I would think a piece of equipment would need to generate more exxperience or user feedback before gettin such a title. Thru my search function and google, the Essense has gotten more user feedback than this AM-10.

If I had not researched what he said and based my opinion only on him being a retail seller and it's a new product he's selling, then I would be rude. I think you calling me rude is rude.

That compressor looks new to me or maybe its because I don't shop at Mercenary so I do not know what their latest gear is? Anyways, thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Addict

I'll vouch for the buzz essence as a quality all rounder. Very much a top shelf product.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
Hmm, interesting. I have a Buzz Essence and love it too, but think of it as more transparent compression than gooey. Anyway, use it all the time on vocals, bass, and acoustic guit and am very happy with it. Must agree it's a fantastic unit.

GZ

Hey GZ

I think of the SOC 1.1 as having a golden honey type sheen in a transparent smoothing way. Compared to a portico 5043 which is totally transparent (if set slow attack/fastish release) there is a sorta golden honey sheen (my ear)-ie the highs are filtered in a golden sheen.

To my ear the essence makes the signal a little more dense in weight (hence my term gooey). So using the golden honey analogy- is a thicker golden honey with essence.

Gooey is probably the wrong word - my bad-gooey with a smack squash I associate with FETS.

Sound is so hard to describe. Would love to hear from Buzz Potion users if those users also have used other FETS to compare with.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 22nd March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
Adam was just giving you a heads up on what he was digging at the moment.
Precisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman
I do not know why people are offended. I said how it is. I researched what he recommended and found nada, so I could not trust what he said because it is a new product.
I think we have our lines crossed, or my posts are pin 1 hot, because I didn't jump into this thread to recommend the "Best 500 Compressor", though in retro-spec, perhaps I shouldn't have posted at all? I think this above statement says a lot about what your expecting to get from the internet. So, what you are saying is that because its new, and I liked it when I tried it, you can't trust me based on the fact that no other people have used it and reviewed it on the boards? That makes sense to me!! I'm pretty sure, I was NOT asking you to trust me, as I am simply giving you my experience, with this option. I'm pondering how you can trust anything other than your aesthetic and musical guidelines to make this choice. My guess is there is no iron clade answer to the true nature of your question, which is why Mercenary, and other self respecting boutique gear dealers offer a Demo/Trial Period. We as engineers know the only way to figure this out is trying the stuff. Only you can tell us what "best" means. This 500 stuff is candy, and welcome to the Wonka Factory. Do you want "fizzy lifting drinks" or "everlasting gobstoppers"?

Quote:
I felt because it's a new product, it would have this big stigma of the wow factor until time will eventually get a better evaluation of it.
Perhaps trying it yourself, with your studio and music, is really the only true way to decide on such personal thing. That goes for anything in this game really.

Quote:
Can you honestly say that the release of a new product could earn the title of "Best 500 Series Tracking Compressor". I would think a piece of equipment would need to generate more exxperience or user feedback before gettin such a title. Thru my search function and google, the Essense has gotten more user feedback than this AM-10.
I think "Best" In regard to audio gear, is a "end user definable term only".

Quote:
If I had not researched what he said and based my opinion only on him being a retail seller and it's a new product he's selling, then I would be rude.
And I don't think you're being rude. I think some people took to how you were adding "rules" to the answers given when you really didn't give us all the information we needed to yield a positive, trustworthy, reliable recommendation for a product that YOU might be able to define as "best" for the music you are doing and the applications you have. There are plenty out there, I think there's been three or four mentioned thus far.
Old 22nd March 2009
Lives for gear

Well, to me, a great "tracking" processor is one that is clean and accurate, low distortion, low noise, high fidelity and very flexible.

Vince at Speck Electronics had recently announced that he is working on a new 500-series compressor / limiter... if it turns out to be anything like his other offerings, you can bet it will be an incredible tracking tool. Much looking forward to it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...k-product.html
See post #10.

Old 22nd March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
The very least, I would prefer a compressor that does not alter the sound incase I chose certain pres to achieve a tone and if the tracking compressor does alter the sound, I would prefer that it would make it fatter but not thinner.
If you don't want to alter the sound then maybe don't use a a compressor

If your not sure go demo a bunch.
there really is no best.just different
API,BAC,Buzz,etc,etc
Old 23rd March 2009
Quote:
If you don't want to alter the sound than don't use a a compressor
I would recommend the Emperor's New Compressor. Inside it there seems to just be a wire from the input to the output. But, if you listen very carefully, you can hear how much it improves the sound. Only people with highly refined senses of musical taste can really appreciate how much it improves the sound, so many people underestimate it's power and value. I have one for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I would recommend the Emperor's New Compressor. Inside it there seems to just be a wire from the input to the output. But, if you listen very carefully, you can hear how much it improves the sound. Only people with highly refined senses of musical taste can really appreciate how much it improves the sound, so many people underestimate it's power and value. I have one for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do not know why people are offended. I said how it is. I researched what he recommended and found nada, so I could not trust what he said because it is a new product. I felt because it's a new product, it would have this big stigma of the wow factor until time will eventually get a better evaluation of it.

If I had not researched what he said and based my opinion only on him being a retail seller and it's a new product he's selling, then I would be rude. I think you calling me rude is rude.

That compressor looks new to me or maybe its because I don't shop at Mercenary so I do not know what their latest gear is? Anyways, thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Your logic is way off. Why must something be around a long time to know it's awesome? I've tried things that I've never heard of period that were flat out amazing at first listen. Remember, everything was new at some point, and whether there were tons of reviews or not, if they are known as great now, then they were obviously great then.

If you're just looking for reviews go read a bunch of reviews. I ask questions here to get the opinions of the people that would really know having played with a bunch, and that's exactly what you got.

In any case somehow you managed to catch me the wrong way, and that's weird because I'm pretty much an asshole.

Maybe next time just tell the man thanks and avoid telling him his opinion isn't worth consideration because of a lack of reviews...
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
Do you want "fizzy lifting drinks" or "everlasting gobstoppers"?
Oh how I've waited for this. I'll take a case of your fizzy lifting drinks!!

Is overnight shipping an option??
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Maniac

Adam, not everyone has access to trial and demo products. Some people rely on reviews or feedback solely for their next purchase of gear and I bet you, youre store has made excess amounts of money from people that do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
Your logic is way off. Why must something be around a long time to know it's awesome? I've tried things that I've never heard of period that were flat out amazing at first listen. Remember, everything was new at some point, and whether there were tons of reviews or not, if they are known as great now, then they were obviously great then.
Mesa4x12er, I am not stating that a product has to be around a long time before someone knows its awesome. I just think that atleast more than 1 person or some of you call experts in this field should have given an opinion about the same product to verify a person's findings.

Adam recommended a product that was new(no reviews, no feedback) and I can not rely on one person opinion to justify buying an AM-10 for myself and I asked him to justify it with samples and reviews. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Why don't we throw in the new Behringer MDX-500 into the mix. Behringer has decided to jump into the 500 format with their top selling Composer compressor. A single mono channel currently takes up 6 slots of the API Lunchbox.
Would you all just agree to what I have posted or would you go, hold on, is there any other reviews or feedback on this new unit or can you show me samples so I can judge for myself because I might be interested?
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey GZ

I think of the SOC 1.1 as having a golden honey type sheen in a transparent smoothing way. Compared to a portico 5043 which is totally transparent (if set slow attack/fastish release) there is a sorta golden honey sheen (my ear)-ie the highs are filtered in a golden sheen.

To my ear the essence makes the signal a little more dense in weight (hence my term gooey). So using the golden honey analogy- is a thicker golden honey with essence.

Gooey is probably the wrong word - my bad-gooey with a smack squash I associate with FETS.

Sound is so hard to describe. Would love to hear from Buzz Potion users if those users also have used other FETS to compare with.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
I too would love to hear from Potion users. Been toying with getting one to replace the purple action which gets very limited use right now. Only problem, 6 space lunchbox is already full

GZ
Old 23rd March 2009

I don't have a lot of experience with 500 series comps but I've been getting great results from the BAC 500. It has a nice umph to it but doesn't over color the track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search