The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 500 series tracking compressor?
Old 6th November 2009
Hi pilopio

Thanks for the feedback!

tapehiss

Doubt there would be room for the Carnhills and a stereo comp in 2X 500 slots. Those transformers are pretty large.

Best
Roger
Old 6th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
what would be cool is if roger made the twospace 500 unit called the "iron foote" that was a stereo comp that also had the carnhill output just like the 1u 19'' version.

all for $1299.00
The rack-unit-rack-unit-rack-unit-rack-unit IS the IRON FOOTE!!!!!!!

I don't see ANY room for these transformers ANYWHERE inside this module.

Plus, there are options, and options are the spice of life. Though, lets not get too carried away with all of these options. You've gotta make some choices and decisions about your recordings, and these designs help you do that. You can pick up the Rack with the IRON, or the identical compressor for 500 series without. You also can't just get a mono rack unit, either. THAT'S ENOUGH CHOICES!!!!

You can easily make a DIY project box with pair of Carhills to patch the P3500S into.

We did it with a pair of old Neve output Transformers. Though, When I reach for the P3500S, I don't care about the IRON so much, since the mic amps and microphones I am using already have enough in them!! The P3 and the P3500S have already made the recall list for my next session!!!
Old 6th November 2009
This is why you won't see these transformers in a P3500.
Attached Thumbnails
Best 500 series tracking compressor?-p3500_carnhills.jpg  
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

Exactly. I'm betting a pair of those Carnhills might not even fit in a single 500 space chassis by themselves.
Old 6th November 2009
Quote:
Exactly. I'm betting a pair of those Carnhills might not even fit in a single 500 space chassis by themselves.

We found that we can just fit one of these Carnhills and the bypass circuit into a single 500 slot.

Best
Roger
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

not quite sure why, but im really drawn to these compressors, theres something about them...............
hopefully i'll have the rack version sometime in the near future.

i thought it might be possible because of this pre, but your carnhills are red so they may be different. and im sure theres more guts inside your comp then there is in this pre.

Lunchbox Mic Preamp, 500 Series Mic Preamp, DIY Mic Preamp, Power Supply Kits - FiveFishStudios.com - X-72mk500 with UK/Carnhill Trafos
Old 6th November 2009
That preamp, most preamps for that matter are very simple devices when compared to dynamics processors so yes, there is only about 1/10 the parts inside.

I have some of those transformers and they are gapped. They will not have the low end that an ungapped transformer has. This is fine with mic preamps where you really don't want extreme low frequencies. The FCS compressors have a low end response of -3dB @ 8Hz.

That transformer probably comes close, but I like to be able to pass everything my circuit is capable of without the transformer rolling the low end off.

The other issue with that transformer is that the height is 1.52", wider than a 500 slot's ideal 1.497" width. So unless the preamps' neighbors are slimmer than normal you will probably get interference with adjoining modules.

Roger
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerFoote View Post
I can see it now... The first four space 500 series "module"!

Roger, I am still very much looking forward to hearing the PICO one day.
Old 6th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Komit compressor is transformer based...but not those big boys.thumbsup
Old 6th November 2009
Lives for gear

the Komit is definitely not has these transformers! My lawnmower and my truck both have engines too.
Old 7th November 2009
Gear Nut

I don't think there is any ONE compressor that is the BEST for the 500 series. But, if you are looking for a compressor - you might want to check this video out...

YouTube - Pete's Place Audio BAC 500 Series & Electrodyne with Joe Barresi
Old 7th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
the Komit is definitely not has these transformers! My lawnmower and my truck both have engines too.
Doug, I never said they were akin to the monsters in my Marantz amp, but it is transformer based....I helped design and build the Komit in it's original incarnation.
The new re-vamped version with new led meters and a faceplate/knob makeover but the same guts will be released by Radial very soon and offers a great value in this jacked up economy. Just sayin' for all the guys who are looking to fill out a 500 rack, something to consider. Trust me we are fans of any designer who utilizes good ole anchors in a design, too many chips-in-a-box these days. My bad for only reading part of a thread. Trust me I've had the fortune of working for and having long discussions with Mr Neve about such things...2nd and 3rd order harmonics ect. Transformer design and selection is a dying art form in my opinion.
Regards,
Mikel
Attached Thumbnails
Best 500 series tracking compressor?-komit1stproductionunit07012008.jpg  
Old 7th November 2009
Quote:
Transformer design and selection is a dying art form in my opinion.
True. To make matters worse, most current transformers are so clean that they are absolutely transparent. That is great for Galvanic isolation but doesn't do anything for "color".

Roger Foote
FCS
Old 7th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
True. To make matters worse, most current transformers are so clean that they are absolutely transparent. That is great for Galvanic isolation but doesn't do anything for "color".

Roger Foote
FCS
Roger, Most don't understand the number of hours spent looking for that "one"....there are specs then there's the ears and all that vodoo stuff! Sounds cliche but it's true "they don't make them like they used to".
Regards.
Old 7th November 2009
Mikel

Yes. It would also be difficult to understand the time and monetary investment in researching the different transformers. In my case, since 1969, storage and weight become an issue. And moving?

Best Regards
Roger Foote
FCS
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Ah, I grasp the Komit comment now!

The bread and butter of the FCS is the dbx type RMS detection. It can really thicken up a sound, increase presence and sustain, without negatively affecting the peak transients. It leaves a good bit of crest factor. It sounds more like turning up the low level details to match the peaks, rather than smacking down the peaks. RMS mode can really increase the presence and thwack of drum tracks, while leaving them open and lively at the same time. The NL setting is in the RMS realm, but increases attack time on transients, while staying slower on steady state material. It 'sound's like adaptive ratio, and can give smack on drum transients in a mix without pumping or negatively affecting anything else. I seldom use the peak mode by itself, but see uses for the combo of peak and RMS together. Then there's addition of attack/release controls, and feedback versus feedforward modes, which change the timing constants of each mode in unique ways. I suppose what I'm getting at is there are lots of combos of detection here, and I've always been able to find a combo that suits the job at hand. My Distressors and various tube vari-mu limiters have been lonely because of these!
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The bread and butter of the FCS is the dbx type RMS detection. It can really thicken up a sound, increase presence and sustain, without negatively affecting the peak transients. It leaves a good bit of crest factor. It sounds more like turning up the low level details to match the peaks, rather than smacking down the peaks. RMS mode can really increase the presence and thwack of drum tracks, while leaving them open and lively at the same time. The NL setting is in the RMS realm, but increases attack time on transients, while staying slower on steady state material. It 'sound's like adaptive ratio, and can give smack on drum transients in a mix without pumping or negatively affecting anything else. I seldom use the peak mode by itself, but see uses for the combo of peak and RMS together. Then there's addition of attack/release controls, and feedback versus feedforward modes, which change the timing constants of each mode in unique ways. I suppose what I'm getting at is there are lots of combos of detection here, and I've always been able to find a combo that suits the job at hand. My Distressors and various tube vari-mu limiters have been lonely because of these!

The Foote VCA design is impressive. Roger is a genius.
Old 20th November 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I would recommend the Emperor's New Compressor. Inside it there seems to just be a wire from the input to the output. But, if you listen very carefully, you can hear how much it improves the sound. Only people with highly refined senses of musical taste can really appreciate how much it improves the sound, so many people underestimate it's power and value. I have one for sale if anyone is interested.
I didn't know they made that in a 500 module!!!! i have the rack mount version and looooove it. I also have a one with a longer wire wound in circles on a core: 'The old Emperor's compressor' made by Peerless.
Old 21st November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
I didn't know they made that in a 500 module!!!! i have the rack mount version and looooove it. I also have a one with a longer wire wound in circles on a core: 'The old Emperor's compressor' made by Peerless.
Price?
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post

The Foote VCA design is impressive. Roger is a genius.

+1 on that....
It is now the only compressor I use for vocals, bass guitar and electric guitar.
rsp
Old 21st November 2009
Adam
Thanks man!

zvenx
Hey, glad that it's working out for you!

Roger
Old 6th December 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Price?
priceless
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

Shadow hills vandergraph is a giant iron,, iron, iron. It can't be made to sound atrocious. We have the purple audio action nice. The igs tube core vari-mu, and igs one la(opto), are fat super on vocals this one is. Bac 500 is a no brainer, the elysia good unit, igs photon great on vocals (opto). Neve 543(vca), igs alter (fet), is a snare giant. Last place for us in white lion prods., studio daking 500 comp (vca), transparent no transformers or tubes, all discrete clean good compression no distinct tonal character or color just good clean compression no squashed sound.
Old 9th October 2014
Old 10th October 2014
Here for the gear

It's probably more of a color piece, but I really like the Crane Song Falcon for tracking because it's nearly impossible to get a **** sound, especially on vox. So if your sessions are really fluid and jumpy (ie write / record / write ) , it's great cause it takes very little work to dial in a tasty sound that will also cover the overloads. But full disclosure, I'm from the cowardly camp that doesn't like to commit to a comp during tracking, so I'll print both a dry + wet, let the artist monitor the wet, and then dial in a better sound later off the dry.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman View Post
The very least, I would prefer a compressor that does not alter the sound incase I chose certain pres to achieve a tone and if the tracking compressor does alter the sound, I would prefer that it would make it fatter but not thinner.
5 years later ...
Elysia 500 series is right choice for you.
It positively compares to some of finest rack compressors I routinely use and I can warmly recommend it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search