The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 710 Twin Finity Opinions Single-Channel Preamps
Old 17th May 2010
Gear Addict

Yeah I got to try one out about a week ago.

Definitely was made in China not Santa Cruz.

Tranny side sounded ok. Tube side sounded horrible until the thing warmed up and even then it was more along the lines of ****ty guitar amp tube distortion than subtle pleasing tube warmth when you push it.

In my experience trombone is not a hard instrument to record - usually throw up a condenser or a ribbon, get a level, hit record and you are done. This is the first time I've ever run into a preamp that managed to assify my King 3B (and we tried the same mic with different pres and the 710 was definitely the culprit). Once it warmed up it sounded alright on Clarinet and Bari sax, but even then the tube side tended to be hissy in a bad way.

Another concern I had was that the thing felt really cheap. Lots of lightweight plastic. Knobs and switches that seem like they would break very easily.

Ultimately seems to me like there are much better options in this price range. It could be that Guitar Center sold my friend a lemon (which he ended up returning anyway) but my impression was pretty much bleh...
Old 18th May 2010
Here for the gear

@Amanitas:

I totally agree with your opinions, including that the unit needs a good 1/2 hour heating in order to achieve an acceptable sound on the tube side (and that's physiological). With a cold unit, the blend knob seems to be without effect. After some time, you can see a nice compression effect on transients, on tube side, but nothing like a Solo/610, anyway...
I have a M-Audio DMP3 dual preamp, very cheap (less than 180 euros) and very well built... On solid-state world, I find it deeper and even more detailed than the solid-state side of the 710; coupled with a nice tube compressor (TL-Audio) gives me a more satisfying analog front end than the 710.
I need some more time to work with in deep, but... I don't know... Probably I'll give it away for another 610.
Old 18th May 2010
Lives for gear

I just realized that my earlier response was about the 610 and not the 710.

I have used the 710. It's not bad. It's versatile, but I must say that I favor the sound of the 610 more.
Old 23rd June 2011
Lives for gear

I went to GC yesterday and decided to give one of these a try....

I gotta say, so far I'm liking it.

I've been looking for something to bring my U87ai to life....

...and the UA 710 pre seems to very compatible with the U87...gives it that
something that's been missing from it since I ditched the Avalon
Old 24th June 2011
Here for the gear

I have it, it's got one job to do and that's a one of a kind over drive on a DI'd electric. The main guitar on "What am I going to do with you" is a cheap ibanez artcore hitting the 710 dimed, both input and output, then going into an LA-3A.

Love it. but it's boring on everything else. Almost has a cheap console preamp vibe when running clean. Wooly.

Here's a link to the itunes page:
Secrets & Keepers by Alicia Kurtz - Download Secrets & Keepers on iTunes
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

wow, I've been futzing with the UA 710 and am discovering that you really
have to experiment with the combination of Gain and Output....with the right
combination I can create in Solid State mode a tone and feel very close to my
John Hardy M-1 but a tad more vintage.
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

I have two 710 4 d four channel versions with 1176 type compression on every channel and I absolutely love them on everything.
They really made my drums come to life and for me,they are fantastic.
I also have a 6176 which I also love.
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Head

I woudn't go with the twin finity. The sound is plastic.
If you want a warm tube sound you must go to the UA LA-610.
I've used the twin finity in the past but I sold it. I must say that I'm really happy with my LA-610. It's trully a great preamp
Old 26th June 2011
Interesting Hybrid Pre

It is a great idea to have two different topologies that are blendable.
This pre is a good training device, because it helps to study the difference between solid state and tube. I find myself most of the time keeping the blend all the way to tube because it sounds so much fuller. It definitely makes tracks sound non-digital. On one song of mine with direct input guitars, the overall sound had a nice, dark, tape-like quality ( I only had a few tracks). Homey don't play digital amp emulation.
I do not recommend this box for generating obvious fuzz-like distortion because it doesn't sound good. The breakup can have an unpleasing quality, and it can pop up in your track as an undesirable artifact.
For the price, the flexibility and sound quality make it a no-brainer as a first quality preamp. Mine says made in Santa Cruz (or perhaps Scotts Valley, which is right next to it.) I feel jealous. I used to live in that area, and it is God's country (and perhaps the home of God's preferred vendor).
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridelica View Post
Mine says made in Santa Cruz (or perhaps Scotts Valley, which is right next to it.) I feel jealous. I used to live in that area, and it is God's country (and perhaps the home of God's preferred vendor).
Originally 710 Twin-Finity was made in Scotts Valley, but since January 2010 production has moved to China. I happen to have a USA made version from the end of 2009 and a version with a VERY early production number from January 2010, made in China. The cheap knobs are still the same, but in many details of the box you can see differences. Different paint, different face plate thickness, different screws, different metal hardness of the plating. I cannot comment on possible differences in sound, as I have not tested this on enough sources.

Anyway, I try to avoid Far East made sound equipment as much as possible due to too many disappointments with quality consistency. I was pretty miffed to see that UA had moved their production over to China, where at first they were bragging about their USA-made 710. What kind of pride is that, if it can be exchanged for a few coins more at the cost of normally paid jobs?
Old 7th July 2011
Lives for gear
The dollar is on it's way down and the Chinese cost is moving upwards. Things are adjusting. Miktek microphones are already produced globally, not just in one country, but also not just from the US or China. The world is changing. By the way: Korea is also rising, and more stuff is coming from Australia.
Old 7th July 2011
Gear Head

I own one and I have had very good experiences with it...
I have run bass through it and really liked the sound and have also run some synths that where previously recorded and they really took that analog and warm sound I was looking for...
About recording voices with the 710 I have used a Shure SM7 and an AKG C3000... The Shure SM7 - 710 combination was REALLY good, although I needed to give a lot of gain to the mic... This has to do much more with the microphone than with the preamp itself. Very upfront-in your face-warm-beachboys vibe vocal sound...
Old 8th July 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Sorry to be disappointed with everybody, but I checked the 710 vs LA610 and solo110 and I concluded that it sucks, it is a totally waste of time and money. The famous tone blender transistor-tube pot sounds to me as a classical ear candy, maybe as Paris Hilton, very pretty but nothing inside.
In my point of view I prefer to buy a 610 and a 110 better to a 710. Even I have a La610 I´m thinking to buy a solo 110 to complete my preamps section. The solo110 and the 610 preamp are totally different and could offers you a great palette and flavours of tones.
Post audio clips, this is why people are always asking in these forums the same questions over and over again. You can't talk crap about a product when you don't have evidence to prove that it's a bad product and warn people that it would a waste of money and time. For people that give positive reviews the same goes to them. Damn it, its like me saying Thor is stronger than Hulk.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Maniac

the 710 isnt all that great

one word to explain the 710 is DIRTY
if you have an SM7B stay away from the 710
the 710 shines with a good condenser mic.
although I must admit, their are better preamps out their.
many could be had for the same price as well.

check the attached mic shootout with an at4050 going through the 710
and an sm7b going directly into the apogee DUET.

if you own a mac, i suggest getting a duet. great pre's, excellent A/D and its sexcy heh
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Maniac

shootout

here's an audible example. including the rambling. lol
Attached Files

SHOOTOUTT.mp3 (5.31 MB, 1731 views)

Old 22nd May 2015
Here for the gear

I had this pre, but sold it and got an ISA instead because I needed clean. Now I miss the twin-finity it a lot!! I will get another one as soon as I can find a good deal.
The reason I didn't like it was that it wasn't truly "two pre's in one" as reviews and advertising said. The clean transistor is not clean enough and the tube side isn't tuby enough. It's also pretty pricey, retails for $800 plus tax in the US.

While it didn't meet my expectations, I realized the tone is still great and I miss it a lot. It has a clean and tight, but slightly dirty sound that gives a nice edge to instruments (especially bass) and rock/metal vocals that would sound pretty flat and hollow through a clean pre like the ISA. It's pretty grainy sounding so it doesn't work for everything. Some say the would favor the 610 over the twin-finity but I don't think you can compare them. They both sound great, but they have totally different sound.

Also, I really like having dual stage gain, so you can dial in a clean but loud output tone, as well as over drive the input gain without getting a too hot of an output going into the interface.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search