The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AD/DA or replace the Portico?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

AD/DA or replace the Portico?

OK, Fella's here's the deal... Got the Neve Portico, have the Tampa and the 1620 Onyx...really like the Portico btw, but we're not talking a HUGH difference sonically.

Question is, do I try a different flavor pre...or look at better AD/DA, I currently have a Delta 66.

...If yes on the converters which? Looking for 2ch. maybe 8 max.

Any feedback appreciated!

thx

-Stixxs
Old 17th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

The Firewire card for your Onyx would be a nice step up from the 66. That said, if you're looking for a 2 channel AD / DA it would depend on budget. If you plan on buying both with a $1440 (cost of Portico) I'd go Lucid.

War
Old 17th July 2005
I would say hold on to the Portico and get some nicer converters. I would assume that your portico will have a much larger difference in quality after comparing with the better converters. After I got my Benchmark I noticed a lot of stuff I didn't hear before. I could tell very fast what were my cheap mics, and what were the "big boys".

Some great options are the benchmark, UA 2192, Apogee Rosetta 200, Lucids, Myteks, etc. I have not used all of these, this is just rehashing other opinions from the forums However I can attest to the benchmark, and I am ordering a 2192 on Monday so I will know more about that one next week.

If your budget is lower, then I agree with the Onyx converters, or something like an RME multiface.

Good luck
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks dudleys, good advise!

Do tell how you like the 2192. thumbsup

Warren,

My understanding is the 800r is not the same as the Onyx firewire... as far converters are concerned. Any truth to this?

Problem with the "card" is summing with only 2ch. return to mixer.

The Lynx Aurora 8 is looking pretty good.

-Stixxs
Old 17th July 2005
what do you listen with?

i made the experience that it is much harder to hear differences between gear t thru crappy loudspeakers. after upgrading to k&h with sub i now hear all the things that high end gears does to your sound.

but the most important is still: what kind of mic do you use? the portico wont make a 57 sound like a brauner

deft:::
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Deft,

HR824's/SonyMDR7506's. Mic's AKG Solid Tube, A/T4033, C-1.

I'm thinking converters are the weak link, but what to try is like what pre to use...everyone's got a different take.

...Any thoughts?

-Stixxs
Old 17th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixxs
Warren,

My understanding is the 800r is not the same as the Onyx firewire... as far converters are concerned. Any truth to this?
They are completely different as the Firewire goes to 96k and the 800R goes to 192k, but I'll have to find out which chipset they are actually using in each.

War
Old 17th July 2005
that's good enough

i'm using and loving the great river preamp me1-nv

hedd is my converter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search