The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lavry Converters
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Lavry Converters

Hey everyone. I have got a amd64 3700 laptop 1gig, cubase sx3. I am looking into
getting 2ch ad lavry blue converter. Would it be a dumb idea to use something like a m-audio firewire solo just for the spdif connection to get the lavry converters into the laptop? Is there any other way? Rosetta 200 looks interesting and comes with firewire card. Just looking to get the best 2ch Ad into my laptop. Thanks
Old 17th July 2005
I probably sound like a broken record, but Lavry is the best by far, the low end is extended and the highs and mids are accurate and wide sounding...much better than the Rosetta 200 IMHO. I see no problem using the SPDIF connection on your card, then going off to firewire, it should work fine (you'll need two cables digital cables, and one 75 ohm to 110 ohm transformer to do that, which shouldn't be more than $75 for all three).
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks Nathan.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've hauled along a MOTU 896 with my laptop to remote gigs, just to use the AES/EBU inputs (w/ my Mytek ADC 8x96). So, you wouldn't be crazy to do this.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I just took XLR-Jack cable and put RCA reduction on the Jack end... and guess what? It's working without a glitch (with RME Hammerfall card).
Old 17th July 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha
I just took XLR-Jack cable and put RCA reduction on the Jack end... and guess what? It's working without a glitch (with RME Hammerfall card).
Yup... that'll work if your signal has to travel 20 ft. [6 meters] or more... I'm a bit paranoid so I use the transformer if the run is over 10 ft. [3 meters]... but that's just me.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I probably sound like a broken record, but Lavry is the best by far, the low end is extended and the highs and mids are accurate and wide sounding...much better than the Rosetta 200 IMHO. I see no problem using the SPDIF connection on your card, then going off to firewire, it should work fine (you'll need two cables digital cables, and one 75 ohm to 110 ohm transformer to do that, which shouldn't be more than $75 for all three).
Depends on what you do and what you expect at the end of the day.
Firewire with Rosetta 200 would be fine, simpler that Lavry and sonically in same league. But, Rosetta 200 clocked by Big Ben was accepted by all our engineers as better and more pleasant sounding than Lavry Blue in test we accomplished. Specially mixes done with Apogee sound overall better, although for some aplications Lavry could exceel, too.

GYang
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I will be recording rock music, Heavy guitars, bass and vocals through the converters I get. Why are the lavry converters so much more money then the rosetta 200. Are they that good or overpriced? t. I am looking for clarity and transparency and a high end that sounds real smooth and the low end not to over emphasized but present. From what I understand Lavry fits the bill. Any comments.
Old 18th July 2005
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
Firewire with Rosetta 200 would be fine, simpler that Lavry and sonically in same league. But, Rosetta 200 clocked by Big Ben was accepted by all our engineers as better and more pleasant sounding than Lavry Blue in test we accomplished. Specially mixes done with Apogee sound overall better, although for some aplications Lavry could exceel, too.

GYang
Wow... your mileage has definitely varied from my mileage... this wasn't the test I heard about where they lopped off everything from 500Hz down to hear "the imaging" better? ...or was it? Head to head, pound for pound I have not shared your experience... doesn't mean you didn't have the experience, just means that I haven't had a similar experience.

Then again... there is someone I've never heard of who seems to work at Paisley Park pushing the Liquid Channel in the ad at the top of the page as I type this... this person says the Liquid Channel is better than sliced bread... so there we go with another engineer having a different opinion from mine... go figure.
Old 18th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang

GYang

I find the Lavry more accurate. Is it more 'pleasant' or not than the Apogee? That's subjective, everyone likes one or the other or neither better. But personally I'm not looking for color or alterations of the original source by my A/D/A converter. I'll leave that to my vintage mics, 2" tape machine, colored preamps, and colored outboard processing. All that stuff doesn't leave much room for any extra coloration or 'flattering' does it? I'm happy to have the accuracy when I transfer the 2" 16 track into the computer, it leaves it alone and sounds a lot like what was coming off the original reel. It also makes it much easier to estimate what it's going to sound like during the final mix instead of thinking 'oh, I don't want to use this preamp because my converter is going to bump the lows, or attenuate the highs' or whatever. YMMV.
Old 19th July 2005
Lives for gear

I sure hope the Lavry is head and shoulders better than the Rosetta 200...why else would one fork over an extra grand for a 2 channel AD/DA?!? And seriously, when was the last time you thought an otherwise great sounding record was ruined by using Apogee conversion rather than Lavry or Mytek?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search