The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone using the klark teknik dn780? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 19th March 2009

anyone using the klark teknik dn780?

i would love some feedback on its tone and where its sits alongside other units ? its pros and cons ? any good for super large spaces or weird spaces ? is it more natural or more unatural ?

cheers

matt
Old 20th March 2009

Can i tempt anyone to an adjective - unreal - real ? maybe - i feel like a man who woke up to find he was the only one left on the planet - but strange figures could be felt lurking in the shadows.dont be shy , i like the look of the infinite / freeze reverb on this myself in the manual , how is this machine for super large spaces i wonder . . . they seem to still fetch fair money but obscure , surely we can find a word for the dn780 between us.

cheers

matt[/quote]
Old 20th March 2009
Gear Addict

The dn780 was quite ahead of the other reverbs of the time in what effects it could give, especially for the modest cost. I still like to use it in mixes. It has reverb sounds not found anywhere else. It's not capable of being fairly realistic like some current reverbs, but I find the dn780 to be an extremely useful tool, especially in a thicker rock or pop mix. The two I have access to at a local studio have never had trouble either. Yes, the "freeze" effect has its uses, especially if you manipulate the return further in the mix.

Old 20th March 2009
Lives for gear

I liked it a lot when I had it, but given my other choices I didn't reach for it as much as some others. If you listen closely, you can hear a bit of a metallic grain/sizzle on the tails. Works great for snares and other types of percussion. The Ambience preset is kind of similar to the AMS RMX but only kind of.

Other plusses for the DN780 is that there's a fair amount of control over the sound w/o needing deep menu diving. Everything is laid out along the front panel, which makes it quick to tweak.

If you have some natural/transparent reverbs, the dn780 is a good addition if you want character and something different than the Lexicons.
Old 18th May 2018
Lives for gear

So I just got a KT DN780 and a Roland R880. I find both sound great, but wondering if I really need both. Both sound a bit too bright unless the HF dialed down a bit, but once that's done, both get some really wonderful spookiness going on. The R880 is I think a bit warmer and deeper sounding, the KT a tiny bit more lo-fi, thin, upfront, but equally as wide. The KT oddly reminds me a little of what I imagine a real plate would sound like, only a little thinner. The major upside of the KT is how immediate it is with the remote, can dial in anything really quickly. Both are definitely quite nice. I've got my Lexicon sound covered, for those who've used both, any sense of which to keep? Leaning towards the R880, but damn its the opposite of immediate. Not sure if the KT sonically copmlements the R880, or if that cash is better spent elsewhere (ie: a cheaper or more expensive eventide).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search