The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Slutty Guitar Rig
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

The "Tim" overdrive/boost, made by Nashville's Paul Cochran is fantastic. Same idea as a fulldrive but much better IMHO.

I've also been hearing about the "four-speed overdrive" made by Pedal doctor. It's been getting rave reviews from guys I trust.

http://www.pedaldoctor.com/
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp71
BTW, slightly annoying about the musictoyz website is how everything is advertised as if it's the greatest thing to ever happen.
Did you ever see a gearsite where they DON'T do that?

I was just very impressed with the musictoyz service with the 3 or 4 orders I made so far.

I sent the online order, got the confirmation of the shipping within minutes or 2 hours at most and the stuff arrived here in Switzerland within 2 or 3 days.

I just got a new Pedaltrain Pro board, most stores won't deliver to Europe because the shipping would be to high. Musictoyz sent it by UPS for a very resonable $ 120, I still save more than $ 100 compared to ordering it from nearby Germany. (Only Music Produktiv seems to carry it in Germany and that's one of the
worst stores ever, Europe's answer to Banjo Mart basically)

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

thank you all for your great suggestions and eye openings. My only conclusion at this point is that cyber shopping recording gear is so much easier.

Could someone with lot's of experience trying out pedals for years build me a guitar chain ? I know it's most in the hands, but the "guitar sound i'm looking for" could be found in Oasis records. as my music is trying to go on that direction. Amp recomendations would be awesome to. My friend has a jazzchorus, and I love it, I would like to purchase one.. or something along the lines. Thanks again, and sorry for being so amateurish.. but the truth is, I had a 2112 digitech for 10 years now and broke. I think it's time to look for something more serious.! thanks again.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you're into the Oasis sound my first guess from hearing their records is that they use Vox or Vox-type (4xEL84 power section) amplifiers, or some other older amps like 60s Fenders Deluxes or Marshall 50 watters.

If you like the Roland Jazz Chorus, you definitely want a nice clean amp. The Jazz Chorus is solid state and if that satisfies you, you probably don't need to drop $,$$$ on a high end boutique tube amp - your basic reissue will do ya.

It sounds like you want a 30-60 watt tube "combo" (that means the amp and speaker are in one box), with either 1 or 2 12" speakers. These types of amps are very popular because they are portable and can get loud enough to jam with a drummer.

I would recommend Vox, Fender, or Marshall reissues (HW if you can swing it!).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0217300000
http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC30CC
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--MSH1974X

Reverb is not necessary and should be avoided unless you get addicted at an early age.

Guitars you should start with a USA Fender or Gibson, thats just how its done (strat or les paul for rock, jazzmaster or 335 for jazz, tele or 175 for country/blues).

A starter FX pack would include a distortion/fuzz, a wah, a chorus/flange and a delay.

If I was buying 4 pedals, I would buy a Foxrox Zim, a Teese RMC1, an Electro Harmonix Small Clone and the little gem known as the Line6 Echo Park.

There's tons of stuff out there, these are just a few simple high quality choices I would recommend to anyone, which you would probably want even if you had 50 pedals. But nobody has or needs THAT many pedals, unless they were some sort of sick, demented guitar tone fiend. Luckily, I don't know anybody like that.

www.musictoyz.com

Have fun man.
Old 18th July 2005
TYY
Gear Addict

Get an AC30, get a fender deluxe (any era).

Get a fuzz (fuzzface or something harder), get a harder distortion pedal (guvnor, dynared, etc), get a tubescreamer (TS808, TS9, fulldrive, sparkledrive, etc.).

With a few good guitars (tele, paul, maybe some P90s) you can get 1000 guitar tones.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

wow Thanks Cdog for your detailed response, I really appreciate you taking the time. I don't have the cash to upgrade my guitar... (gibson studio les paul) which I would truly like to get rid off. I'll see if I can sell it. We don't have big music stores like in the U.S. and if I don't go there, with a specific idea of what I wan't... I usually get a head ache and just go to the acoustic department , jam for a sec, buy some picks and leave the store : ) I will do my homework with the things you suggested, thanks again!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY
Get an AC30, get a fender deluxe (any era).

Get a fuzz (fuzzface or something harder), get a harder distortion pedal (guvnor, dynared, etc), get a tubescreamer (TS808, TS9, fulldrive, sparkledrive, etc.).

With a few good guitars (tele, paul, maybe some P90s) you can get 1000 guitar tones.

Fuzz and Overdrive are two different type of distortion right ? I'm not much of a Fuzz style distortion, if that is what that means ? **** sorry for the stupid question but I'm discovering complete new territory here, so please be patient. I've always had a 2112, and just turned and turned the dials until programing something I liked, never really knew what I was doing just listening. In any case, a slight overdrive is what I like. so is there a "you can't go wrong" overdrive pedal ? I'm seriously shocked with the inmense amount of pedals and brands.
I would also like a pitch pedal with different pitch settings and combinations. Thanks again!1 oops, almost forgot very important tremolo!!
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Fender hot rod delux amp...has a drive and MORE DRIVE option...bought a new one last month to use with a tele and 335.....man, what beautiful chunky clean sound.....kick in the (supplied) footpedal....MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE,
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Since this is high end forum, this one deserves a mention...

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/

But anyway, you should probably look here to see some examples of well known guys' setups.

http://guitargeek.com/
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka
Since this is high end forum, this one deserves a mention...

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/

But anyway, you should probably look here to see some examples of well known guys' setups.

http://guitargeek.com/
Thanks Yutaka for reminding how much it sucks to be a poor slut with expensive fantasies : (

That petercornish site rocked ( first time I hear of that brand) who gilmor happens to be a happy costumer at.... oh dude, I went cyber (fantasy) shopping for hours.. plus, these high end places have high end lynks attached.. that just ruin your day : (

Thanks for the link! : )
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enharmonic
Musictoyz is pretty nuts...tons of pedals.

Analog Man is a good site too.

That store is amazing. Wow.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Apparently, Chris took everything that was in the La Cienega Black Market Music and stuck it in storage. I like Chris, but I thought most of the guys who had been working there the last couple of years were a bunch of stuck up assholes. Oooo! You sold Jon Brion and the guys from AIR some gear! I'm so impressed! Not.

A former Black Market employee started Future Music, on Sunset Blvd at Gardner. The guys in there are really great. They are not online and they don't have the endless piles of crap that BMM did, but I have found some real gems in there in terms of rare synths and guitar pedals. In fact, they have maybe more pedals than BMM ... and these ones tend to work. Best of all, the prices are always spot on. Jack, the owner, understands the value of moving lots of gear for the going rate, and not sitting on it hoping somebody who just got an advance from their label doesn't care that he's overpaying for something.

Don't even bother with Vintage Gear, which is two doors down. Another group of guys who think they are really nifty because they sold gear to a couple of cult rockstars. Their prices are ****ing ********, too.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
Fender hot rod delux amp...has a drive and MORE DRIVE option...bought a new one last month to use with a tele and 335.....man, what beautiful chunky clean sound.....kick in the (supplied) footpedal....MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE, MORE DRIVE,
And if you work at it, you can wire a pedal that won't access the horror of that. The only other amp I've played with as annoying asound was the Peavey Triumph.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search