The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
need advice for studio speakers, genelec,Adam or Dynaudio
Old 15th July 2005
Here for the gear

need advice for studio speakers, genelec,Adam or Dynaudio

Hi ,
I have a home studio , but with good gear.
till now I was mixing with an old jbl & tannoy reveal .
I want to upgrade & my budget is +/- 2000€ for a pair.
We dont have a place in my city that I can go to listen.
can you advice me?
My option is between :
Genelec 8040 or 8050 , Adam P22a or P33a , Dynaudio BM6a & Far AV6D .

I'm doing mostly Fusion Musik as a bass player & producing some pop & rock groops.

I dont need to be very loud , but I need something that is flat as possible & have a good bass response that translate good to the real world sound.

I dont do techno stuff .

ant advice ?

Thanks
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Gonna give you another option you really should check out imo: PMC TB2S-A.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm in the exact same position. I also have a home studio and I'm looking for new monitors. I'm not into the same kind of music, but my budget is roughly the same and the speakers you meantion are some of the ones I've been looking at as well.

I guess I'm a bit more lucky because I've found a place who carries all of these brands, including PMC. I will probably take a visit in two weeks time. I won't be able to listen to the Genelecs though. The music store told me that they removed them from the listening room because people simply didn't think they were good enough.

If you're patient I can give you a full report later. heh
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Gonna give you another option you really should check out imo: PMC TB2S-A.
I am seriously considering to replace ADAM S3A with PMCs. They are huuuge thumbsup .

GYAng
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
I am seriously considering to replace ADAM S3A with PMCs. They are huuuge thumbsup .

GYAng
Yes they are fantastic speakers. I replaced Dynaudio BM15 with them, also moved out the Paradigm Esprit Reference, SLS, Infinity, JBL... everything in the studio and the home theater went away, replaced by PMC TB2+.

Steve
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Replaced my BM6P / Chevin A500 combo with S3A's and loving it.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Check out PSI. New Swiss brand. Have em in the studio.
Amazing monitors, not cheap, though.

Cheers, Julian
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

BM6a's here...mixes translate v.well...all clients love'm......dying to hear ADAM's stuff tho....
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
BM6a's here...mixes translate v.well...all clients love'm......dying to hear ADAM's stuff tho....
It is something I don't like on ADAMs and I can't exactly figure out what.
Although ADAMs have much more resolution and depth than much cheaper Events or Dynaudios (I like them both) I didn't notice improvement in mixes done on ADAMs compared to lesser designs. What I really like on PMCs is how extremly pleasant and true everything sound on them.
I think that 80% of works I'll as usually do on workhorse nearfields and final check and mix done on PMCs.

GYang
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Who sells the PMC's stateside?
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysjo
Who sells the PMC's stateside?
Check the PMC website, they list dealers there: http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com
I believe Bryston handles the distribution in USA, so any place that sells Bryston probably also sells PMC.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Barefoot MM12's are the *&&^^t if you can dish out 10Gs.

http://www.barefootsound.com/mm12.htm

Other than that, ADAM S3A's are sick. That's what I have.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

matter of opinion

I own a comercial facility so i have had the luxury of using and owning quite a few of your candidates. here is a list of my opinions...

Genelec---never heard a set I could stand to use for more than a few hours. the top is totally synthesized and hyped (the only exception would be the s30c, which is a decent speaker)

PMC's---I own a set of 1b1's and I have to say that they would make a great set of speakers for the house. in studio use they are very inconsistent and unreliable (be sure you have a box of mid's and tweets handy)

Dynaudio---I believe these are the best speakers made today (with the exception of Meyer x-10's). They are reliable, consistent, un-hyped and an exceptional reference. The bm15's are great and are a proven studio monitor.

Just my opinions. There is some other stuff out there that is a cut above, but not within your budget. If you want to up the ante check out ATC. They are a solid speaker.

Ari M.

P.S. don't buy anything you can't hear first...and certainly don't buy on someone elses advice (YOUR ears should be the final verdict).
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yep, sure are personal difference there. I threw the BM15s out fast as I could, once I got the PMC TB2+ in. No comparison for me, especially in the quality of the mids -- as in "not there" on the Dynaudio, and can hear every word on PMC.... <shrugs>

Steve
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike66
Dynaudio BM6a & Far AV6D
Don't overlook some of the "hifi" Dyns. I have a pair of Contour 1.3SEs -- paid about $2000 for a very lightly used pair (audiogon.com is your friend). Fantastic monitors, with incredible bass extension (37Hz) and a truly world-class tweeter.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Just to make it more difficult for you to decide, I would recommend a pair of the SR-823 speakers made by Daedalus Audio

I have a pair of the SR-823s and a pair of the W-803s. If you do some research on Daedalus speakers you will see what many audiophiles have to say about the quality. I use the 823s as monitors for recording right now, and they are truly wonderful, top notch!

Check them out.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've got BM6A's as well and love 'em.
Old 16th July 2005
Here for the gear

Got my Genelec 8040

Finally I got the Genelec 8040 ( here in Belgium for 1250€ for the pair)

I found a place that I could hear them all & I prefered the Gennie.

when you here them first , you have to adjust the Desktop control , Bass roll off , Bass tilt ( I didnt touch the treble tilt) control .
it is very important , because if you dont do that you might think that they dont sound ok , but it is the room fault.

I'm very happy , I can hear new detailes on my mixes & reference songs ( I even heard a chair moving in one of my reference C.D.'s lol)

Tell you the truth , in the begening before I adjust the tilt & roll of control I had too
much Bass & the trable & mid's wasnt cutting like it should, but as soon that I adjust , the problem disapeared & it sound just great.

poor mixing will suck big time on this speakers.

This speakers are super & I listened 5 hrs of music on them today & I feel still fresh (on my Tannoy & jbl my ears were going to be tired)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search