The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CL1B with Vocals -- starting point? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

CL1B with Vocals -- starting point?

Hey,

I've got a Tube-Tech CL1B for the weekend and want to try it out tracking vocals. Anybody who uses it for that on a regular basis, how do you usually set it up? (There's a lot of knobs!). Any tips appreciated...just looking for a good starting point to tweak from.

Thanks.
Old 14th March 2009
Gear Addict

It's a POS-I'll take it off your hands for cheap.............OK,I tried. Do a search here for it and look up James LA Lugos' comments.He found some successful settings.
Old 14th March 2009
Lives for gear

slowest attack, fastest release, 2/1 ratio and adjust threshold to get 2-3 dB on peaks. Most of the time the needle should just sit there on no reduction.

That's one of many, many ways to start. All dependent on type of vocalist/music/desired results. The more aggressive the music the more aggressive the CL1b can be used.
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy1533 View Post
It's a POS-I'll take it off your hands for cheap.............OK,I tried.
Ha ha. It didn't take using it long to figure out that's not the case! heh
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 15th March 2009
Old 15th March 2009

To me the most important thing with CL1B's is don't slam it. 4 - 5db in the hot spots and it'll sound like a record! Great comp!
Old 15th March 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Power: On
I tell ya, there is really something magical going on with that switch... thumbsup
Old 15th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Brain View Post
I tell ya, there is really something magical going on with that switch... thumbsup
It's the little things, ya know.

There's one other secret I left off the original settings I posted. But now I feel guilty, so I'll spill the beans. The real magic happens when you grab that left bat handle switch and put it in the UP position. There, I said it. No more secrets.
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Typical starting point for me when tracking

in: "in"
gain: 11 o click
Ratio: Noon
Theres: -10, dependent on how much signal is going into the unit
Meter: compression
Attack: 1 o clock
Release: 11 o click
Att/Releas: fix./man.
SC link: off, or left+right in the plug in version if comping itb

Useless.

If I use a lower ratio, I typically set my attack and release times slower. The sweet spot for me is usually around 5 db of gain reduction. Try floating around there for a while and you'll know when it's appropriate to use more gr, or less. If I want less pocket for my vocal, I may go more in Rick S's direction. I also compress less with the plug in version.

The mainup gain is very smooth, so I often feed the compressor a softer output signal from whatever mic pre I'm using and use the makeup gain for my level to tape/daw. Play with it. It's an easy box to make sound great when you know it. Main thing I'd watch out for is setting my release too fast.
Old 15th March 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Owned one for over 10 years. Here's where I start, at least for vocals.

Power: On

Are you sure? heh
Old 15th March 2009
my settings are similar to Lynn's except I use the attack release set to fixed. You don't want to hit it too hard on the way in but if you have this for the mix then you can fool with smacking it and messing with the attack and release. It's a really great compressor
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Typical starting point for me when tracking

in: "in"
gain: 11 o click
Ratio: Noon
Theres: -10, dependent on how much signal is going into the unit
Meter: compression
Attack: 1 o clock
Release: 11 o click
Att/Releas: fix./man.
SC link: off, or left+right in the plug in version if comping itb
When the Att/Rel i set to "Fix/Man", I think that the attack is fixed and the attack setting is overridden.
Old 15th March 2009
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. Loving the compressor. I'll post a few thoughts about it later when I've got some more time.
Old 16th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
When the Att/Rel i set to "Fix/Man", I think that the attack is fixed and the attack setting is overridden.
No the release is auto and the attack is manual
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No the release is auto and the attack is manual
Ah, there you go.
I know something was "auto"...
heh
Old 16th March 2009
actually I'm wrong about that. Peeder sent me a part of the manual, sorry about the misinformation
Old 16th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
actually I'm wrong about that. Peeder sent me a part of the manual, sorry about the misinformation
Yea, the opposite is true.

I always though that in Fix/Manual, the ATTACK knob was completely bypassed. I was wrong. So much for 10 years of experience. {:-0

From the manual:
Quote:
There are three settings of the switch:
1. Fixed.

Attack time: 1 msec
Release time: 50 msec

2. Manual.
Attack time: from 0.5 msec to 300 msec
Release time: from 0.05 sec to 10 sec

3. Fix/man.
This setting combines the release times of fixed and manual
mode. The attack time is as in the fixed mode.

The fix/man mode always has a fast attack, but it is possible to obtain a release time
depending on the input signal, e.g. get a fast release when the peak disappears, then
superseded shortly thereafter by the release time selected by the release control.
From the time the peak disappears, until the selected release time takes over, is dependent
upon the setting of the attack control.
That is, the attack control changes function from a pure attack control, to a control of delay
with the same time range.
The more CW the attack control is turned, the longer time before the release control
takes over.
The more CCW the attack control is turned, the shorter time before the release control
takes over.
This function is valid only if the time of the peak is shorter than the setting of the attack
control.
If the peak of the program is longer than the setting of the attack control, or if the attack
control has reached the full CCW position, it will respond as in the manual mode.
The fix/man mode acts as an automatic release function with a constant fast attack time and
fast release time for short peaks and a longer release times for longer peaks.
Old 25th March 2009
Lives for gear

thanks Lynn Fuston
Old 25th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Sousa View Post
thanks Lynn Fuston
You're welcome. I'm always eager to learn, even if that means learning I was wrong.
Old 9th February 2010
Gear interested

old thread but very interesting as i just picked up a CL1B. anybody have any suggestions on the input level feeding it?

my vocal chain:

Sony C800GPAC-->Great Rivers MP2NV-->CL1B

thanks in advance!
Old 9th February 2010
Lives for gear

I love that comp... one of my favorite ever... very easy to dial in the sound you want... just fiddle with it a bit... no need for presets...
Old 9th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mDay View Post
old thread but very interesting as i just picked up a CL1B. anybody have any suggestions on the input level feeding it?

my vocal chain:

Sony C800GPAC-->Great Rivers MP2NV-->CL1B

thanks in advance!
Since you have a 2NV, just set the preamp up so that it's not going into the red (red LED lighting) and hand that to the CL1. It has a threshold control so you can adjust it to whatever signal is coming in, even if it's really low.
Old 10th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
slowest attack, fastest release, 2/1 ratio and adjust threshold to get 2-3 dB on peaks. Most of the time the needle should just sit there on no reduction.
This is how I start.
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Head

Cl1b

I know this is a old thread, but I just recently purchased a cl1b and was interested on other peoples preferred settings for recording vocals. I do mostly hip hop, and so I'm looking for something thats aggressive in capturing the dynamics, but also remain modern and transparent.

My chain is a u87>1073.

I would also appreciate any other favored settings for other applications e.g. aggressive vocals, smooth vocals etc.
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diff caliber View Post
I know this is a old thread, but I just recently purchased a cl1b and was interested on other peoples preferred settings for recording vocals. I do mostly hip hop, and so I'm looking for something thats aggressive in capturing the dynamics, but also remain modern and transparent.

My chain is a u87>1073.

I would also appreciate any other favored settings for other applications e.g. aggressive vocals, smooth vocals etc.
Slow attack in manual setting is great for tracking, but I absolutely love it on fix/man and att/rel both at 12:00 when mixing, pushing about -10db of gain reduction! I love smashing rap vocals with this thing, it makes the words absolutely more intelligible and it just "pops". Love the way it shapes the transients on vocals.
I understand some people like fast attacks on rap vocals, but I like mine with some space to make those consonants spike out.
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post
Slow attack in manual setting is great for tracking, but I absolutely love it on fix/man and att/rel both at 12:00 when mixing, pushing about -10db of gain reduction! I love smashing rap vocals with this thing, it makes the words absolutely more intelligible and it just "pops". Love the way it shapes the transients on vocals.
I understand some people like fast attacks on rap vocals, but I like mine with some space to make those consonants spike out.
Thanks for a quick response. When your smashing vocals how much are you taking off and what ratio?
Old 30th September 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave Crux View Post
This is how I use it to, With 1073 and a pultec (10k boost) after With old u87 - great solid sound - and the smashing in mix powerful tool indeed!
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search