The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio Design
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Studio Design

I am process of looking for a company to help in the design of my recording studio here in Brasil. I have bought a building and just need help with the floor plans, isolation specifications (wall layering details, door/window specs, etc.), acoustic treatments, guidelines for electrical/hvac. Could you please recomend some top notch people. I will be putting together the facility myself, and just need the designs to work with.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
I am process of looking for a company to help in the design of my recording studio here in Brasil. I have bought a building and just need help with the floor plans, isolation specifications (wall layering details, door/window specs, etc.), acoustic treatments, guidelines for electrical/hvac. Could you please recomend some top notch people. I will be putting together the facility myself, and just need the designs to work with.
Go to www.johnlsayers.com everything you've ever wanted to know about studio design but was afraid to ask.

Go to the Forum section.

Rob
Old 14th July 2005
Here for the gear

Check out the usual suspects: Russ Berger, John Storyk, Pilchner-Shoustal, FM Design, etc. Talk to some of their clients. Find the designer who has the same sense of purpose and asthetic as you do and contact him/her.

BTW-

I hired Fran Manzella (www.fmdesign.com) to design my studio. The money I spent was more than saved in the end. It's much easier( and much more fun) to build a good studio once than build a bad studio twice.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have worked with studio bau:ton and have gotten great results everytime.

Their website is www.bauton.com.

A great designer is someone who listens to what you want to do and does it while also creating a great recording / mixing space.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

www.wsdg.com

John Storyk is great...and I'm pretty sure he has done work in Brasil.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Guru

There are also some great designers who may be less well known than the big names, such as my friend Wes Lachot. You can see a lot of his projects here:

www.weslachot.com
Old 14th July 2005
One with big hooves

Wes does great work! He had some input and designed my old live room and man...that room sounded about four times bigger then it actually was.

Are you going to be doing the building yourself?
Old 14th July 2005
member no 666

Fran Manzella, Wes Lachot, Bob Alach http://www.alactronics.com/archit/archit.htm or Chris Pelonis http://www.pelonissound.com/ are some of the only guys I would feel good recommending... I've worked in a bunch of facilities that Bau Ton and WSG have fukked up to the point of uselessness... I sincerely doubt I would let John Storyk or Peter Mauer design a dog house for me, never mind a control room.

Of the "famous" guys, George Augsperger, if you don't get involved in "suggesting" anything does some pretty damn fine work... some of the work I've seen from Russ Berger hasn't been too bad too...

Best of luck with your search
Old 14th July 2005
And a couple more guys I like that haven't been mentioned yet - George Augspurger and Vincent Van Haaff.

For some info one George - I don't think he has a website of his own:
http://home.comcast.net/~elmstudios/glabio.html
(323) 660-9351

And Vincent's website:
http://www.waterland.com/
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally quoted by Duffster:
just need help with the floor plans, isolation specifications (wall layering details, door/window specs, etc.), acoustic treatments, guidelines for electrical/hvac... I will be putting together the facility myself, and just need the designs
That's exactly how I built my place... limited budget ($35,000) for designing AND building/finishing a ctrl room & small tracking room within an existing building. I had one "in-person" meeting and several phone & fax conversations with Martin Pilchner from Pilchner-Schoustal, and with detailed specs on my building/situation he put together a package of drawings (covering all of what you mentioned) that I gave to my contractor. I had to be extra vigilant in making sure the carpenters adhered to the plans (they kept wanting to take shortcuts & "cover it up with the finish"!), but I'm very satisfied with the end results.

Pilchner-Schoustal website = http://www.pilchner-schoustal.com/

Good Luck!

Oger
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

I am also relocating my studio to a new facitlity. It will be built in an unfinished shell and I plan on doing the majority of the construciton myself with the help of a local crew, but I would like the assitance of a professional for the initial design. I have begun contacting designers including fmdesign among others. There is a design firm which is reasonably close to me called Wave Space. Has any one here had any experience working with Carl Yanchar and Wave Space (wave-space.com). Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shaun
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Nut

great links!
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Wes does a great job on a budget. As a designer and an AE I've had a great time designing rooms on a small scale for several folks. It's something I'd like to do more of but the AE thing eats up all that time...

As someone who knows both sides make sure you create a program that you'd like, keep an open mind, clearly articulate what you want up front and realize that changing your mind costs money.

Aesthetically bring pictures for communication but realize that the sum of you and your designers efforts will make it yours rather than a copy which may not be ideal in your location... Anywho, sleep on stuff, be proactive and good luck.

Fletcher,

Let me know when your wife wants to get back into it, it'd be great to team up with the real talent in the family. Knuck knuck.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

WHITEMARK (HIT FACTORY, REAL WORLD ETC.

AINT SURE OF ADDY, BUT SEARCH IN GOOGLE AND WILL COME UP!!
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

What's Michel Blackmer up to these days? Anyone worked in his rooms?
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

bump... want a few more choices
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
...I have bought a building and just need help with the floor plans, isolation specifications (wall layering details, door/window specs, etc.), acoustic treatments, guidelines for electrical/hvac. ...I will be putting together the facility myself, and just need the designs to work with.
What would be an estimated cost for this type of thing? Since I too am overseas it would just be the design and consulting through phone and net I guess, as the construction progresses.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search