The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor Stands of quality??
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Monitor Stands of quality??

Hello guys.
I am looking for a good pair of height adjustable Monitor Stands.
The ones that appear to be built with some quality are the Sound Anchors that I am sure all of you have seen advertised in Mix etc.
Is there any alternative to those? $ 450 (plus $70 shipping to LA) isn't exactly cheap but I don't know of anything else (and need them soon).

Suggestions?

Also, if anyone in LA knows of any local options, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

RM
Old 14th July 2005

Sound Anchors are the only stands I would be able to recommend if you have large monitors....
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Addict

Do a google on OSIRIS stands.They are out of buisness but for a long while there was plenty of backstock around the audiophile retailers.Fill them with sand or lead shot and blue tac the bottoms of the speakers and your in buisness
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks for replying.
It's hard to believe that Sound Anchors is all we have here in the US.
Good for them I guess.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovibe
Check out Lovan Inc., or StudioTech, or Target Audio Furniture. (At least I *think* Target is made in USA).

And if you can put nationalism aside, it's definitely worth looking into Ironworks Audio Designs from Canada.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantovibe
Thanks for replying.
Good for them I guess.
That's more than we have in Europe, though. I got a friend of mine to make me some custom stands. The design is a bit ripped off the Anchors, but he made a really cool improvement: there's a handle and a large fixation screw, which makes it possible to adjust the height without tools and the help of somebody else, while the monitors are still placed on the platform. The whole thing is filled with sand and I like the raw "industrial" look very much.

The best part is, they only cost me €100,- each!

Old 14th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Check out Lovan Inc., or StudioTech, or Target Audio Furniture. (At least I *think* Target is made in USA).

And if you can put nationalism aside, it's definitely worth looking into Ironworks Audio Designs from Canada.
Bob, thanks for the reply.
Funny the thing you say on the nationalism.
I just live here (Venice Beach CA) but I was born and raised in Italy (Venice...the vintage one) and lived there until I was 25. So, US nationalism is definitely something that does not apply to me tutt .

Now Italy.... well that's another story .

I'll look into Ironworks Audio Designs.
Thanks a lot for the tip.

Renzo Mantovani
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've tried lots of stands. Some looked good, none sounded as good as the Sound Anchors. That's it, that's all there is for great sound that I have found so far. I sue them for all ATC demos.

There's lots of high end consumer stuff i you want to get into that.

Brad
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

One of the few stands I know of that are designed for studios would be these: Click on Products

The company works in conjunction with the AAA Group. AAA count Abbey Rd and Pink Floyd's "Astoria" studios amongst their clients.

Justin
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you don't mind building stuff yourself... I built a few pairs of stands out of Oak and Plexiglas that worked and looked pretty good. The top was 1" thick Plexiglas which is fairly heavy and looked a little Stereophile'ish. Not adjustable though. You also have that satisfied feeling of another half/ass job...
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

SOUND ANCHORS.

$450 is pretty cost-effective when you consider the possible damage to your speakers and/or board caused by the failure of cheaper stands.
Old 23rd July 2005
Another vote for Sound Anchors - worth every penny, imo...
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

I just discovered these: http://www.reference3a.com/stands.htm

Might be worth looking to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search