The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Josephson c700s mic test Condenser Microphones
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Nut

Josephson c700s mic test

OK-
So I just got this mic, new, and I'm only touching the surface of its capabilities. If anybody wants, I'll post the three individual files of the W, X, and Y capsules. Once you have these, you can do almost anything with the patterns- from mono to surround. In this example, I took the three waveforms and created six tracks as follows:
1) W center- this is the omni forward facing capsule
2) X center- the figure 8 forward facing capsule
3) Y left- the side facing figure 8 in forward phase panned left
4) minus Y right- the same side facing figure 8 panned right and reverse phase
5) X capsule panned hard left
6) X capsule panned hard right
#s 5 and 6 just round out the sound, and I suppose aren't necessary, but like I say, you can do anything with this mic.

I'm using two Millennia HV3b mic pres, all set at the same gain, dedicating one channel to each of the three capsules.

I'm using a 1931 Martin tenor guitar- and yes, I'm a really crappy player, so get over it! The strings need to be replaced so it is kind of dead sounding. With new strings this guitar comes alive, but you'll still get a glimpse of the tonal character of this mic. Keep in mind the Millennias tend to be a little critical in the upper midrange.

There is NO compression on this- so I kept the level low as I tap a couple times on the guitar body at the end to give you a feel for the dynamic range of this mic. Unfortunately, hearing the mp3 after recording it at 88K direct into Nuendo, well it sucks compared to running all six tracks full bandwidth and dynamic range, but keep that in mind if you listen.

If you want to know more about how this mic works there is a great pdf available on the Josephson site, which details everything from theory to practical examples.

I spent a lot of time looking for a stereo mic- this thing does that and so much more. I couldn't be happier with it so far! I bought this mic from Vintage King because they had it in stock and gave me a good trade-in on some old gear. I have zero connection with Josephson.
Attached Files
Old 12th March 2009
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for sharing this. Definitely a mic that I'm interested in.
Old 12th March 2009
Gear Nut

I'll definitely post a better test when I get some actual talent over here- I'd like to test as a drum overhead, on voice, and in a classical setting. We are breaking ground on new studio space this month.
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

This is a real service. Thanks! I can't wait to try out the tracks you captured.

I am also interested in one of these -- when / if I can afford it!
Old 21st March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danharr View Post
#s 5 and 6 just round out the sound, and I suppose aren't necessary, but like I say, you can do anything with this mic.
As you're saying, these are not needed (because you already have an X panned center). But the level of W compared to X and Y determine the resulting polar patterns, so the balance of signals does make a difference. No W gives two fig-8's (Blumlein).

Martin
Old 23rd March 2009
Gear Head

This must be the nicest mic i've ever heard.
It shows even on the mp3 although the difference is huge with hi res files.
btw lovely guitar you got there!

Put that mic in front of something like
-a drum kit
-grand piano
-upright bass (in a good room..)
-string quartett
-big orchestra
-choir in a church.. stikestikestike..

Then try to find another mic / set of mics which sounds as good or better.. that will be very hard!
Have fun with it,
michiel
joystick audio
Old 23rd March 2009
Lives for gear

thanks dan really nice mic its on my list for rooms mic now

need now a tryout with my masalec pres
Old 29th July 2011
Gear interested

I'll definitely post a better test when I get some actual talent over here- I'd like to test as a drum overhead, on voice, and in a classical setting. We are breaking ground on new studio space this month.

Hey Dan, sorry to resurrect a super old thread, was wondering how the studio is going ? any new potential clips of the C700s? totally cool mic, thanks for sharing your last demonstration

Rock

the Bomber
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search