The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves Gold or... outboard?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Waves Gold or... outboard?

I have a PT mix system with an Apogee 800. I have the Waves Rennaissance bundle which gives me the Ren. reverb, Ren. EQ and Ren. Compressor.

I used to have the Waves Gold bundle (in the OS9 days) and I liked it a lot. Now that I am using OSX and need some more options I am thinking of buying the Gold bundle again but I am somewhat freaked out by the Waves upgrade policy. Although I don't remember specifics, I do remember people saying they had to shell out big just to keep up with OS updates.

My other option would be to keep to the Ren. bundle for EQ & compression and buy a higher end Reverb or multi-effects outboard box such as an Eventide Eclipse, Lexicon 81 or 91, etc. I figure these boxes will keep their value and won't be a product that requires continuous payment.

So, I guess I am asking:

1) Are the Waves upgrades really that bad?
2) Is a hardware box a better bet in the long run?

-Marlowe
Old 13th July 2005
waves are costy, yes. i used them too with pt mixplus and os9 and i was satisfied...

...untill...

yes, untill i got my first 1178, then distressors, pendulum and massive passive.

"WOW, NOW i know what i missed all the time" that was my reaction. save your money and go for real outboard. btw i think there better plugin solutions in price to performance ratio.

deft:::
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe
I have a PT mix system with an Apogee 800. I have the Waves Rennaissance bundle which gives me the Ren. reverb, Ren. EQ and Ren. Compressor.

I used to have the Waves Gold bundle (in the OS9 days) and I liked it a lot. Now that I am using OSX and need some more options I am thinking of buying the Gold bundle again but I am somewhat freaked out by the Waves upgrade policy. Although I don't remember specifics, I do remember people saying they had to shell out big just to keep up with OS updates.

My other option would be to keep to the Ren. bundle for EQ & compression and buy a higher end Reverb or multi-effects outboard box such as an Eventide Eclipse, Lexicon 81 or 91, etc. I figure these boxes will keep their value and won't be a product that requires continuous payment.

So, I guess I am asking:

1) Are the Waves upgrades really that bad?
2) Is a hardware box a better bet in the long run?

-Marlowe

1) they are not bad, only expensive,
2) YES, a very good hardwarebox for sure, i don't spend money anymore on plugins as long as they are not comparable with the real thing, i.e. reverb, compression, eq...
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hardware all the way.. Buy good stuff and it will hold value. Software won't.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

That's what I meant. If a new version of OSX comes out does that mean I have to pay $600. to keep the plugs? How much are the updates and when are they needed?

>1) they are not bad, only expensive,
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

The upgrade policy isn't all bad, last year I got two plugs for free because of it (two good ones too, L3 and RenAxx). If they'll continue to throw in freebies I think it's worth it.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

hmmm ... I've had the gold bundle for years in OS 9. The only thing I ever use consistantly is the Ren EQ which quite frankly I'm not completely in love with. All my reverb and a good deal of my compression goes OTB to some very tasty stuff. ITB comp goes to UAD ... which is the main reason I'm just about to switch to OSX as they've finally got their drivers together.

I really don't want to upgrade the Waves when I transfer over and have looked forward to the tasty AU EQ's out there. I have a problem though In that bundle are two minor plugs I dearly love .. enigma & mondomod ... they don't get used that often but when they do, they're indispensible. It just galls me to shell out the bucs Too bad you can't get these ala'carte.

Anybody know of anything out there plugwise that emulates these ?

Don't mean to highjack the thread btw ...

back to topic:

Made the decision a long time ago to go OTB in regards to verb ... CPU hogs (especially back when) and they just sounded better (perhaps untill recently). And I can tell you this much ... my next 2 purchases are a pair of distressors and a Chandler TG1 to go along with my other fun otb comps (Trakker, Thermionic/Phoenix & Sonicomp) .... so ... that's my 2¢
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck
Hardware all the way.. Buy good stuff and it will hold value. Software won't.
thumbsup
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Outboard is amazing. The best of the waves in my opinion is the RennMax bundle. Kind of bread and butter plugs for a descent price. Save the rest of the dough for some great outboard. The masters bundle could also tide you over if you don't see some nice back end gear in your near future.

Hope that's helpful,

- proxy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search