The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AD-16x, weak on the low end?
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

AD-16x, weak on the low end?

I ran bass through my ad16x and experienced a drastic, very noticeable drop in the low end section. As a matter of fact, anything that was ran through it with some sort of bottom, sounded weak in the low end area. Note: I am talking strictly the lightpipe output. At the time, this was my only option because I was running it to a 002. Has anyone experienced this? Does the quality in lightpipe have anything to do with its ability to transfer low frequencies? And if so, would it be a very drastic change? I ask this only because I used a cheap HOSQ lightpipe.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

What you are hearing is a lack of phase shift. You need to learn to mix with it. Listen to tons of music through them if you have the da 16x and you will understand.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Or a broken converter. I don't know about the "lack of phase shift" argument. Usually when a circuit is well designed, it doesn't sound thin.[edit] And I know these 16X series are well designed.

There are lots of converters and other pro audio gear out there that don't have massive phase shift or sound thin. Don't think that Apogee somehow did something right that everyone else has always done wrong.[edit]

Edited due to my audio **** comments earlier.
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

This sounds like an impedence issue. Are you using, DI, line in????

The 16X series rules supreme. Lightpipe does not affect frequency response.

Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

I agree with cdog. Likely impedance. Use low capacitance cables, and if you only need 15', don't use 50'.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

same here!

hi! i have the exact same issue! could you perhaps remember what it was that was wrong?

need some guidance

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search