The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most transparent DI on the thru
Old 13th July 2005
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Most transparent DI on the thru

I have a P-bass/SVT combo that I love the sound of but is very susceptable to loading issues. Most DIs I've tried have affected the sound of my bass through the amp (using the "through jack" on the DI) far too much for my liking.

I'd like to be able to find a high quality DI (active preferably) that I can use on the road and not be subjected to crappy in-house models, as well as be able to use at home and in the studio for recording (my favorite DI in a recording situation has been the DI on an API 312 if that helps).

Primary importance is that the "through" option on this DI be as transparent as possible. I'd be interested to hear opinions on this matter especially.

Thanks,
Z
Old 13th July 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I'm using a Radial JDV... very clean with lots of headroom (very precise transient handling). But I'd recommend you to borrrow a couple of DI's and test them under your conditions... also with "clean" DI's the tastes ar suprisingly different.
Old 13th July 2005
  #3
pgk
Gear Nut
 

I'm using a Radial JDV... very clean with lots of headroom (very precise transient handling). But I'd recommend you to borrrow a couple of DI's and test them under your conditions... also with "clean" DI's the tastes ar suprisingly different.


ditto on the jdv or the jdi
Old 13th July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Wow. Great minds thnk alike.... or you're the same person.
Old 13th July 2005
  #5
pgk
Gear Nut
 

Wow. Great minds thnk alike.... or you're the same person.

umm, no man. one of me is plenty enough......
Old 13th July 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Wow. Great minds thnk alike.... or you're the same person.

umm, no man. one of me is plenty enough......


...yeah, two of me would be definitely too much.
Old 13th July 2005
  #7
Gear Head
 

use the "quote" button when you quote someone. it will save confusion.
Old 13th July 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Doublehelix's Avatar
 

If loading is an issue, try the JDI (passive) instead of the active JDV.
Old 13th July 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehelix
If loading is an issue, try the JDI (passive) instead of the active JDV.
...I'm not sure if you confused the issue? The active JDV will not load down the pickup as the passive JDI do, because in a passive design the basspickup has to load both, the DI line and the "through" line... that could cause a weak punch.
Old 13th July 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Doublehelix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
...I'm not sure if you confused the issue? The active JDV will not load down the pickup as the passive JDI do, because in a passive design the basspickup has to load both, the DI line and the "through" line... that could cause a weak punch.

You are so right!!! CRAP!!! Sorry about that...

Andreas has it right...active DIs (like the JDV) will not load down the pickup as much...

My bad...
Old 13th July 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_man_barzel
I have a P-bass/SVT combo that I love the sound of but is very susceptable to loading issues. Most DIs I've tried have affected the sound of my bass through the amp (using the "through jack" on the DI) far too much for my liking.

I'd like to be able to find a high quality DI (active preferably) that I can use on the road and not be subjected to crappy in-house models, as well as be able to use at home and in the studio for recording (my favorite DI in a recording situation has been the DI on an API 312 if that helps).

Primary importance is that the "through" option on this DI be as transparent as possible. I'd be interested to hear opinions on this matter especially.

Thanks,
Z
You could try the Little Labs Multi Z PIP, and take the buffered 1/4 output and run it to your amp. I LOVE the sound of this DI, plus the output is line level so the signal will not degrade over long cable runs nearly as much as a mic level signal may. plus you can optimize the impedance to your bass.

One question -- do you keep a tuner in line with your bass? I have run into more tone issues with tuners than I care to remember. The thing i do mostly with the Little Labs is hook up the buffered out to the tuner, and use the through to go to the bass amp. This keeps the tuner on a completely different signal path...

good luck...

John
Old 14th July 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 

countryman type 85

You might try the countryman 85 active DI.

It never seems to affect the loading on my passive jazz basses.

Another thing you could do is put the di in line with the speaker out. You have to use speaker cables, put the pad in on the di and make sure you put a speaker cable from the thru jack to your speaker, or have a nice fat resistor to use as a load.

With the last band I mixed for live, I had 3 channels at front of house for bass.
mic amp
DI (input)
DI (in line with speaker)

The majority of the sound blend came from the DI on the speaker output.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump