The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
At Last: Nicerizer 16 vs. ITB (aif's & mp3's)
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

These go for 3 grand per channel, but it would probably be the shiznite for your style of music. They had some tracks on their website, and it had a singer/songwriter type vibe to it for sure. I think yours is better though.

Revolution Redd 47

Anyway, they appear to be built to last.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
don't i know it. one layer at a time, this is an expensive path we choose!

i was going to splurge for 2 channels of eq to open up the 2buss, but lucey's work has reassured me that i can mix dark and have the top opened in a very pleasing way. so i believe my next step, hopefully before i track the next tune, is a big lush 3D pre. budget is limited to one channel, so my plan at this point is to audition the phoenix drs-1 and the tab funkenwork v78. currently i'm using the langevin dvc.

do people think i'd be better off getting a sweet drum/bass compressor than a better pre? all i track is vocals and nylon string.

such tough choices, life is good. think i'll start a thread with this question.

gregoire
del ubik

Yeah... a Portico..havn't heard one bad thing about em'..looks like a winner.
great deal.
or..
For your music, a Wunder PEQ 1 would be very nice as well..
I use em for rock and always great for delicate stuff[strings,acoustics,vocals]among other things..
Or a good old V76 ..which I use all the time for everthing.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Now I listened to the mastered mp3, it's ok, but I'm floored the ME didn't fix some of that crazy out of phase/anti-phase rhodes going on.. Well well, different strokes.

Well, I thank Ubik for an interesting experiment, it was interesting to hear what this box does, but this experiment really has very little to do with the actual SUMMING going on ITB vs. OTB. If you treat the nicerizer sort of like a creative effect, it's all good, but if someone had done the stereo imaging ITB, aiming for the same, sort of wide sound as the nicerizer mix, there's no way, and I repeat NO WAY, the stereo field would "collapse" due to ITB summing.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

I've been working with the N16 for 3 + weeks now
and breaking the same 16 tracks uneffected thru ITB and the n16
..same exact panning and levels.
the N16 wins everytime for depth & wider stereo imaging..
But hey..diff strokes
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

change the phase of one instrument ... in mastering?

the Nicer mix is changed mostly due to distortions from the trannys. ITB doesnt "collapse" it just sits there. again, mastering likes either one just as well ... it's a dealers choice thing IMO.

RK .. are you a Nicer convert now? I thought you were all about ITB?
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

No big difference to take it seriously and that's largely the reason some vote for N1 while others for N2 being sounding better. Both sound equally too distorted and dare I say dirty to me. I liked the song, though. Anyways, having said that, I like the mix number 1 better - it is rounder, better glued yet not too much and it makes distortion a little less obvious and sharp. That's what a good stereo compressor usually does for me. I summ digitally.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Goler
...dare I say dirty...

oh yeah baby, say it! SAY MY NAME!

you guys all rock. especially big props at this moment to juicemaster and alphajerk, our different strokes are what makes the world go round. without your cleaner aesthetics my mixes wouldn't sound grungy and blurry, and vice versa.

contrast makes things visible, can't have the one without the other.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Oh, I see now.. I'm a bit late Thanx for this test ubic.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Addict

btw links for audiofiles posted are dead ,just wanted to share this discussion with a friend but uhm i lost files .Ubik ?
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

the files should be back up within 24 hours, give or take. my host had to move my site to a different nameserver because of the increase in data transfer. over 10gigabytes in 3 days!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

If you encode those AIF and WAV files into FLAC you'll only eat half the server bandwidth.

Free Lossless Audio Codec
Old 16th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
without your cleaner aesthetics my mixes wouldn't sound grungy and blurry, and vice versa.

how you know i wouldnt run it all through a RAT pedal?!?

damn, i will have to check back to when i can hear the tracks.... time has gotten away from me and now your server has gotten away from you. im more keen on hearing the song.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
c

RK .. are you a Nicer convert now? I thought you were all about ITB?
I'm all about whatever sounds good mitigated by an efficient workflow, with half an eye on the cashflow. Everyone has to strike their own balance in that regard. Mostly, ITB sounded better than my Trident 24, so that's where I went.

I had tried one summing box and sent it back--in what I thought were fairly well controlled tests there really wasn't enough difference to warrant a change in work methodology, and I'm not sure the difference was even positive. I was actually sort of pissed off that I had spent so much time even checking it out. However, I've always liked the sound of the DRS2, so I impulsively popped for the Nicerizer, and so far I'm enjoying it. I've got it set up so that during the course of my work flow I can patch tracks into it as I create them or not. So far, everything I've put into it has stayed there, but it's been mostly MIDI stuff, samples and synths, so like I told Shaun I'm withholding any real judgement.

Come to think of it, though, I did a mix yesterday of some old bluegrass tracks I cut and was never happy with, and the mix just came together really easily and it's really the first time I've just plain enjoyed listening to that piece.

Convert? I dunno, it's really not a matter of religion to me. But I've been cutting on tape lately too, and the Nicer feels like that sort of thing. I loved Ubik's track. It's great to use just a few elements and have each one be so big.

I get this sick feeling I'm going to end up with another analog console someday.

-R
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
I've been working with the N16 for 3 + weeks now
and breaking the same 16 tracks uneffected thru ITB and the n16
..same exact panning and levels.
the N16 wins everytime for depth & wider stereo imaging..
But hey..diff strokes

any files, you want to share?
:-)
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7
any files, you want to share?
:-)
If I can get the Artists to clear it.
They aren't big fans of these forums..
but i'll have some other stuff thats cool to post soon.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

thumbsup
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
If I can get the Artists to clear it.
They aren't big fans of these forums..
That's interesting. May I ask why?
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
That's interesting. May I ask why?
They don't want me posting their unreleased stuff on an internet forum ..
Oh well... who am I to argue..they're paying..
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Okay. I thought maybe they didn't like their engineers constantly posting and reading over some internet forum (wasting time).

tutt
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

On a session, Nope...but after hours..thats my time baby.
But comping vox on my own today
Jason.. how are you diggin your's?[N-16]
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I really dig it heavily man! And so far I've only fed it raw tracks off the multitrack. So I haven't even done a proper mix through it yet. That's because I'm having a software decision crisis at the moment.

Since my previous mixing setup was Fairlight Merlin multitrack -> Sony DMX console, and I sold the DMX, it looks like I have to get some sort of DAW software. I meant to do it weeks ago, but haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Hopefully by Monday I'll make a decision and roll with it. Otherwise I'll just bring the Fairlight into a studio and get the mixes done. It looks like my Soundcraft Delta 8 console won't be ready for another 2 months, so those are my options.

Back to the Nicerizer 16...... It sounds like a really nice analog console. Basically that's what it is, though a stripped down for DAW version. I can't imagine working with one and not liking it. ITB is fine if it works for you, but I think this can offer more and better options for good sound and happy mixing.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
the files should be back up within 24 hours, give or take. my host had to move my site to a different nameserver because of the increase in data transfer. over 10gigabytes in 3 days!

gregoire
del ubik
D'oh, my jones!
Old 16th July 2005
There is only one

okay, i did a quick total pre-reveal [post reveal are biased for this even if they didnt "cheat"]

#1 vs #2
1: 4 liked it
2: 8 liked it

right or wrong of which was which:
right :12
wrong: 8

anyone can audit my numbers if they wish.... there were some comments i couldnt tally to one side or the other. some only counted on one of my polls and not the other...

this is the first summing box that people WERE able to pick out with a higher degree of accuracy as being a summing box. yet more people preferred the ITB mix than the SB mix.
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk

im actually more interested in hearing the tune than A vs B from the comments. thats the part that MATTERS.

but this laptop wouldnt do it justice so i shal wait until i can hear it on my monitors.
AJ.. I take it you heard the AIFF's and prefered mix 2?
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
okay, i did a quick total pre-reveal [post reveal are biased for this even if they didnt "cheat"]...

anyone can audit my numbers if they wish....

pre-reveal, i get 9 for the nicer, 10 for itb. it is noteworthy, as you said, that regardless of how you felt about it, the nicerizer made a big difference that was noticeable. i think if you make a piece of gear where everyone can hear the difference, and 50% love it, you've done something powerful.

more importantly though (to me) is the overall response to the song... i'm thrilled! 7 more in the works, i'll be sharing every one as they come along. next time i'll probably do a comparison mix w/o the api, just so people can hear pure itb vs. the nicer.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

more importantly though (to me) is the overall response to the song... i'm thrilled! 7 more in the works, i'll be sharing every one as they come along. next time i'll probably do a comparison mix w/o the api, just so people can hear pure itb vs. the nicer.

Cool, Ubik. Next time make a mix where you don't push the nicer as hard (as I suspect you did.. new toys and all that), would love to hear another example of both the nicer and your music.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Addict

What I think would be interesting.... would be to see what the mix would sound like not summed but rather a simple sterio pass through the nicelizer......and then compare the actual sum....
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
okay, i did a quick total pre-reveal [post reveal are biased for this even if they didnt "cheat"]

this is the first summing box that people WERE able to pick out with a higher degree of accuracy as being a summing box. yet more people preferred the ITB mix than the SB mix.
This is precisely why you don't let the band come in during the mix.

-R
Old 17th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman
This is precisely why you don't let the band come in during the mix.

-R
no way man... i love having people in sessions.

and if you are mixing to the API dont let these people tell you other wise if you like doing it. i always mix to a comp i LOVE compression

i actually havent heard the songs yet... when i went to DL them on my studio machine they werent available :( soon i hope. honestly, my opinion doesnt really matter anyway, if he preferred the SB mix, then thats what he prefers...
Old 17th July 2005
There is only one

none of the tracks are available still...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search