The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
35k for a recording studio. what do you get ???
Old 9th March 2009
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Dude,
If you have 35K call Sweetwater music and they will give you some killer options and ship it for free with no sales tax. Yes you can get alot of suggestions on Gearslutz and thats cool but why not contact people who actually sell gear and have them put together a package for you. There are sellers like Guitar Center that will probably beat Sweetwaters price by atleast 10% but if you need advice after your purchase Sweetwater will be your best bet. Also you have a full month to try your new rig with the option of sending it back with no worry. If I had 35K I would be on the phone yesterday.
don't know if you work for the company but your post screams this... If i am sophisticated enough to come ask this question at gearslutz what makes you think i would even entertain the thought of asking a sweet water sales rep hahah ... im sure there are some good ones but gee. As for prices, thats not my concern, i need a gearlist than i shop around
cheers
Old 9th March 2009
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I'm using my gearslutz decoder ring to guess that you're talking about a very advanced product called CLASP.
haha excellent detective work sir ... it reminds me of something you may get in Vegas, interesting name choice haha... but it looks like a really cool peice of equipment and very advanced. Definatly don't see it in my budget or practical near future, but it seems like it would be pretty cool...
i enjoy watching those vids anyway :P
Old 9th March 2009
  #33
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
haha excellent detective work sir ... it reminds me of something you may get in Vegas, interesting name choice haha... but it looks like a really cool peice of equipment and very advanced. Definatly don't see it in my budget or practical near future, but it seems like it would be pretty cool...
i enjoy watching those vids anyway :P

ps. have you or anybody used one? what would be the advantage to this , rather than just recording to tape and dumping it to your daw after?
thanks!
Old 9th March 2009
  #34
Lives for gear
 
goldenlotus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Dude,
If you have 35K call Sweetwater music and they will give you some killer options and ship it for free with no sales tax. Yes you can get alot of suggestions on Gearslutz and thats cool but why not contact people who actually sell gear and have them put together a package for you. There are sellers like Guitar Center that will probably beat Sweetwaters price by atleast 10% but if you need advice after your purchase Sweetwater will be your best bet. Also you have a full month to try your new rig with the option of sending it back with no worry. If I had 35K I would be on the phone yesterday.
That's probably the worst way to decide how to spend 35k possible.
Old 9th March 2009
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
That's probably the worst way to decide how to spend 35k possible.
I disagree. I believe that a serious conversation with a professional sales person from any decent company (whether it be Sweetwater, Mercenary, Vintage King, Sonic Circus, etc.) will help one clarify one's own actual objectives that lead to a logical, purchasable conclusion. Moreover, such a conversation will likely lead to a clear set of tradeoffs after a matter of 30-60 minutes. How long does it take to reach such a conclusion on a pubic bboard? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months?

I think that forums like this are great for discussing a wide range of topics, from individual gear performance to workflow tradeoffs to handling very difficult people/situations. But when it comes to a concrete and finite design, I've found there's no substitute for talking with people who have defined, specific relevant experience and who can be accountable for their recommendations.

I've had a number of conversations with people from all of the above-listed companies when I've contemplated a major move in a major direction, and then have all been extremely helpful for helping to guide me in the right direction for my situation. And occasionally they have talked me out of trying to approach a problem in a particularly bone-headed way. (My apologies for not mentioning others...the four I listed above are certainly not the whole game by any stretch of the imagination.)

I would not call a sales person to ask "why does my snare sound like ass when use Microphone X with Preamp Y", gearslutz is great for that. But I would absolutely talk with a sales person (or a paid consultant) if I were going to commit a specific 5-figure or 6-figure amount of money to build a specific new capability--moving from OTB to ITB, moving from ITB to OTB, adding a mobile rig, integrating video, etc. And I would trust that if that sales person had no points of reference from which to offer advice, they would tell me, and I'd bring the question to gearslutz, such as I did on April 1st a few years ago about how many Mackie Preamps I would need to gang together in series to get a good stereo recording of the sounds in deep space.

It's all about using the right tool for the job--whether microphones and preamps or forums and salespeople.
Old 9th March 2009
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Slaytex's Avatar
 

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the room?

You can have killer gear, but if you are forced to track in a bathroom your kinda screwed.
I'd spend extra money ~20-25 grand on a big nice treated room and spend 10-15 grand on gear. $15,000 can get you a nice setup these days. Just don't buy half ass stuff to get you by. I'd rather have less stuff but it be top notch high end gear.
I know a room isn't slutty like gear, but it's the most important factor and is what makes a studio a studio IMO.
Good luck.
Old 9th March 2009
  #37
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 

Old 9th March 2009
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Slaytex's Avatar
 

Forgot to ask; will you be recording at other people's studios with this gear our are you making a entire studio from the ground up?
I have some nice gear but no studio. I still get good sounds at my house using gobo's, but I will rent out another studios room in town just for the room. I don't care about thier equipment. This way I always know my gear and can work fast and track in a good room at the same time. Lot's of engineers do this.
Old 10th March 2009
  #39
Gear Head
 

2.5K computer & monitor
3K Real Traps bass traps and diffusors
4K Tascam DM-3200 w/meter bridge, 16 input digital mixer
.3K native DAW platform of your choice -- DP or Logic
3.5K 4 channels Neve (Portico) mic pres
1.8K Sebatron VMP-4000 tube mic pres (4 channels)
2.6K API 3124 mic pres (4 channels)
2K Neve Portico 5043-H two channel compressor/limiter
3K Pendulum Audio OCL-2 dual comp/limiter
2K Furman balanced power unit (can't remember the number)
1.5K Argosy furniture for mixer & outboard gear
1.4K B&W 6083 speakers
1K Rotel 1080 amplifier
3.2K Microtech Gefell UM 92.1 microphone (or maybe a Wunder CM7)
1K Josephson C42MP matched pair mics
2.7K Royer SF-12 stereo microphone
1K 3x Sennheiser MD 421 microphones
.3K 3x Shure SM57
.4K EV RE20 microphone
1.2K 2x Beyerdynamic M160 microphones
2K 2x AKG 414 B-XLS
2K snakes and other cabling

OK, this is pushing 45K, but it includes lots of little things one might forget (furniture, monitoring, slutty & non-slutty gear alike).

On a higher budget, I wouldn't go with the Tascam DM-3200 for your AD/DA conversions. But on your budget, your money will be better spent on good outboard pres, comps & microphones.
Old 10th March 2009
  #40
Lives for gear
 

35k for a studio and what do you get?

hi,

"another day older and deeper in debt".


[not really ]


right.
Old 10th March 2009
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
ps. have you or anybody used one? what would be the advantage to this , rather than just recording to tape and dumping it to your daw after?
thanks!
Well, I personally have never used this device, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how it works in application in any shape or form. I simply know of it; which is why I pointed it out.

What I can tell you from my experience; printing your basic tracks to a well maintained, well aligned multi-track, and dumping the audio into the DAW for overdubs, is really the best of both worlds. You get the organic vibe of tape with the drums and rhythm section, and any other "in room" tracks, coupled with the non-linear precision and non-destructive editing of the DAW, you can move forward creatively with the project. I think with great performances in great rooms with great microphones, you can achieve amazing sounding recordings with AD/DA converters and a DAW.
Old 10th March 2009
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa View Post
$30k?

Macbook Pro
Logic Studio
BFD2
Prism Orpheus converter
API 2500 compressor
Dangerous D Box
Genelec Triple play
Shadowhills GAMA & Avedis e27 inside an Avedis R52

--is one way you could go...
can't forget a SM7b & SM57!

you could go: Powermac/ProTools HD instead of Prism/Logic/Macbook Pro.
(which may be better if you're commercial)
Old 10th March 2009
  #43
Lives for gear
 

I would spend it mostly on mics, micpre's, a killer computer and good converters, and protools with a used procontrol which is amazing bang for the buck. Waves studio classics plugins are awesome and the best way to go on a limited budget and still have a nice analog vibe. Also Cranesong Phoenix, URS Saturation plugin, Massey tapehead, Chandler plugins, for more analog sounds. I would buy mostly used, great deals right now. The following prices are mostly used prices.

New 8 processor mac pro $3,200
Protools HD used $6,000
Apogee AD16X, DA16X $5,000
Procontrol 16 fader $3,000
Neuman M149 used $2,500
Blue Bottle Pair used $5,000 (or a cheaper pair of tube mics by Telefunken, Peluso, etc..)
Sennheiser 421 (3) $900
AKG D112 $200
Shure SM57 (3) $250
AKG 451 (2) $600
Royer 121 (2) $2000
API 3124 $2000
Wunder or GML 4 ch. pre $2,200
Aurora Stereo Micpre $2000
Manley Stereo Tube pre $1,500
Waves Studio Classics $1,500?
All Massey Plugins $500
URS saturation plugin $200
Cranesong Phoenix plugin $300?
Distressors (2) $2,000

Monitors, if you could swing it - Adam S3A's, Barefoots, Focal twins, Dynaudio Bm15A's, etc...

You could save at least $5,000 by going with Logic and Euphonix controller instead of protools, I much prefer protools for rock music. I would go logic if you are more into Dance, techno, hip hop.

A little over budget, but I would want to have all of these to start pro.
Old 10th March 2009
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
That's probably the worst way to decide how to spend 35k possible.
my thoughts exactly. Work out what you think you need, find opinions/ask if you have to, then make your own decision. If you don't feel like you know enough about something to drop the cash, then wait until you do.

A rep from a high end dealer like vintage king might be better, but every one will have the ultimate goal to sell you something. Who's going to recommend the product that might be perfect for you if they don't stock it, buy instead stock something which will do 85% of the job?

And a box shifter like sweetwater....they'll be stocked with knowledgable pros won't they? There won't be any kids who know nothing but retail....
Old 11th March 2009
  #45
Lives for gear
 

OK, I'll be the smartass/voice of reason. If you don't already know what to do the the $$$, you shouldn't be doing this.

I just hate it when I see people with a wad of cash wondering, "what to buy?" You should "earn" your way up to that point by learning and doing. Then when you have the money, you'll know what to get with maybe a few indecisions.

I guess everyone's an overnight superstar these days.

Oh well.
Old 11th March 2009
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
I would spend it mostly on mics, micpre's, a killer computer and good converters, and protools with a used procontrol which is amazing bang for the buck. Waves studio classics plugins are awesome and the best way to go on a limited budget and still have a nice analog vibe. Also Cranesong Phoenix, URS Saturation plugin, Massey tapehead, Chandler plugins, for more analog sounds. I would buy mostly used, great deals right now. The following prices are mostly used prices.

New 8 processor mac pro $3,200
Protools HD used $6,000
Apogee AD16X, DA16X $5,000
Procontrol 16 fader $3,000
Neuman M149 used $2,500
Blue Bottle Pair used $5,000 (or a cheaper pair of tube mics by Telefunken, Peluso, etc..)
Sennheiser 421 (3) $900
AKG D112 $200
Shure SM57 (3) $250
AKG 451 (2) $600
Royer 121 (2) $2000
API 3124 $2000
Wunder or GML 4 ch. pre $2,200
Aurora Stereo Micpre $2000
Manley Stereo Tube pre $1,500
Waves Studio Classics $1,500?
All Massey Plugins $500
URS saturation plugin $200
Cranesong Phoenix plugin $300?
Distressors (2) $2,000

Monitors, if you could swing it - Adam S3A's, Barefoots, Focal twins, Dynaudio Bm15A's, etc...

You could save at least $5,000 by going with Logic and Euphonix controller instead of protools, I much prefer protools for rock music. I would go logic if you are more into Dance, techno, hip hop.

A little over budget, but I would want to have all of these to start pro.
thanks man for the good reply! thats what i was looking for... I was thinking of going the logic/euphonix route... why do you prefer pro tools over logic for recording rock music... workflow?

this thread is becoming tiresome with the warnings, i really appreciated the good advice and knowledge alot of stuff has made absolute sense that you guys have said! But studio project , plz read the whole thread. i DO have an idea of what im going with, I am looking for other opinions/options which i will consider and research on my own.


and I am not looking to be an over night superstar, whatever the **** that means. I am just looking to record good albums with a studio that merly sustains it self while honing my craft... I have another source of income.... whats so hard to understand about that?
Old 11th March 2009
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
one of my friends taught himself poker with the crazy idea of "winning" enough money to put himself through drama school...he ended up winning the european poker championships (or something like that - £200k of prize money), now commentates on a poker channel, and yes makes a lot of money gambling online....oh and he was poker consultant on "casino royale"!

If you're good at it...why not?!
i also got a friend who nearly made a half mil last year in the online poker circuit. he only plays on sundays.
Old 11th March 2009
  #48
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davido View Post
For god's sake man, get your head out fo your arse.

If you dont agree with the question, then dont provide an answer. He's asking a question.

It's the one thing that really bugs me about Gearslutz sometimes, people like you who feel the need to lecture.

awesome lecture sir! top notch!




gregory scott - ubk
.
Old 11th March 2009
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

messing around on vintage king last night



and with poker money ill get shortly after


+ ats-1
+ nizetic 16 summing mixer
+ 2 anamod 660s stereo pair w/
Old 13th March 2009
  #50
Lives for gear
 
meymia's Avatar
for a mono studio:

fire face 800 for it is cheaper (and arguably better then rosseta) and from a good company.1.7k

1xneve 1073 around 3.5 k +(lunchbox = 1 k) so 4.5 k and u got your eq's and preamps arguably one of the best preamps and eq's of all times you wont be dissapointed and oyull have a grerat name in you studio.

1xdistressors el8x =1.5k and you got your compressor it is agood compressor arguably there will be other suggestions like ua las2 la3a or api 5xx series but still the compressor is a good one and u cant make a mistake using it.

adam s3a one of the best high end monitors out there in my opinin you cant go wrong.=6k and you got your monitors.

1x neumann u87ai (i know i know i have blue kiwi myself) and you got your condenser 9i mean i know lots of people dont like the new versions of it but it is still a good condenser wich i recommend you to buy cause of its quality and mainly his name.=3.5

big lcd acreen or even two for the show off and a big A#@ midi keyboard with lots of knobs and lights again for the show off sake=2.5 k?

1xfender american strat deluxe ash (for noisless pickups)-1.8k a standart allmost liked by all guitar cant really go wrong there...

1xfender american jazz bass deluxe ash (for noiseless pickups) -2k a standart allmost liked by all guitar cant really go wrong there...

1xmartin d-28 with fishman rare earth blend pickup the legend of the acoustic world used in alot of albums. the pickup is agood fishman one cause the martin d28 is not amplyfeid for some reason 2.6k

1xyamaha piano 2nd hand 3k=yamha is agood name in piano context go for it.

buy the best most expesive cables you can get they make a diffrence do lets say around 500$

akg k271 headset they are proof to sound leaking and are satisfing= 200$

pop filter mic stands shure sm 57,58=500$

acoustics here i dont know much but lets say only the spunges will be like 2k approx?

try to make the buy in a single place so ull get a discount.

now the daw i dont recommend getting ANY dsp cards meomory is getting cheaper and computers-better no need for support anymore.

ull need a pc 1gb corsair ddr2 800 mhz cl 4 memory--quad core q6600 intel chipset--a good gygabyte mother board with a good chipset (you can watch mine for deatails) a good power supplyer a strong one!--1 raptor hd for wondows and programs--a sequencer program i use cubase 5)a good quiet case like my antec that wil be around 2k tops.

up to here we are at approx 34.3k .

then of course u get ur vst and plugins myself i use bfd 2--sonnox dynamics and eq--east west colossus--melodyne--spectra sonics the bass module i forgot its name. that could cost alot.

thats it buddy this is what i whould get and the reasons for why i whould get it hope i helped
Old 22nd March 2009
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforest4 View Post
You could save at least $5,000 by going with Logic and Euphonix controller instead of protools, I much prefer protools for rock music. I would go logic if you are more into Dance, techno, hip hop.
What about Cubase?
Old 22nd March 2009
  #52
Gear Nut
 
The Private Room's Avatar
 

be smart and buy my TC Reverb 6000 system I´m selling for 6999,- Euro (it has a new price of 14.600!)
Old 22nd March 2009
  #53
Gear Maniac
 
shakermaker3's Avatar
 

wow thats alot of money for reverb!
Old 22nd March 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
thanks man for the good reply! thats what i was looking for... I was thinking of going the logic/euphonix route... why do you prefer pro tools over logic for recording rock music... workflow?
I prefer protools hd for it's compatibility with the high end pro world, better reliability, easier and better workflow for mixing, and I'm just used to it and mainly a protools user. Procontrol is a very solid controller for less than $2,000 used for the main 8 fader unit(was $9,000 new!), the faders are excellent and it feels rock solid, the euphonix is a toy in comparison. I now have an Icon but still miss some features on the procontrol like the 32 button matrix, 8 character scribble strips, and the smooth light touch of the faders. If you are starting new, and you need to save the money, logic is amazing bang for the buck considering all the plugins and softsyths that come with it and will work fine. Protools LE is also fine to start, except for no automatic delay compensation for plugins which is a major drag when mixing. One thing to keep in mind with protools is that it is due for an upgrade in the next year or so, so maybe stick with your protools le or logic for now and switch later.

As far as cuebase and digital performer, I'm sure they are both pretty close to the level of logic, but not that familiar with them. I would go with logic over these, because it is backed by Apple and not going anywhere, and seems to be the next most popular after protools in the high end pro world.
Old 23rd March 2009
  #55
Lives for gear
 
slaves666's Avatar
Check out my room. I have over 50k in stuff, but knock off all the instruments and amps, and you're pretty close......
Old 7th February 2019
  #56
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the room?

You can have killer gear, but if you are forced to track in a bathroom your kinda screwed.
I'd spend extra money ~20-25 grand on a big nice treated room and spend 10-15 grand on gear. $15,000 can get you a nice setup these days. Just don't buy half ass stuff to get you by. I'd rather have less stuff but it be top notch high end gear.
I know a room isn't slutty like gear, but it's the most important factor and is what makes a studio a studio IMO.
Good luck.


I agree. Spend for the best, quality gear - less is more, if your budget is challenged.

Truly assess your needs, and go with the best gear you can afford: which is pricier, but so worth it down the road.
Old 7th February 2019
  #57
Gear Addict
 

This was ten years ago haha
Old 7th February 2019
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Sigma's Avatar
35 k will get you a good mac a pt hdx 2 a converter and a bunch of software and a set of monitors
Old 8th February 2019
  #59
It will get you $35k in debt and $15 per hour to pay it back.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
toneguru / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
pearldrum944 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
17
eleviah / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
30

Forum Jump
Forum Jump