All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Neumann U87 or Neve 1073
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

GR ME-1NV + U195 = cost $2,000

Sounds like $2,000,000

http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivmp1.html

http://www.mercenary.com/soundeluxu195.html

You can try things from Mercenary, delivered to your door, for free, assuming you ultimately buy something.

But obviously you're not listening.

I'll go now.

Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog
GR ME-1NV + U195 = cost $2,000

Sounds like $2,000,000

http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivmp1.html

http://www.mercenary.com/soundeluxu195.html

I'll go now.

Word. I certainly plan on buying a GR MP-2NV.
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Ok thats better. LOL. heh
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riad
I think I'm leaning toward an option like this. A Neve 1073 DPA (dual channel AMS neve for about $2800) or the GTQ2 mkIII (same price), then rent a U87 and a AT mic so I can check them out and see which one works best.

And the saga continues...
Hey man like I said initially, the 1073 will make more of an impact than changing your mic. I just got my 1073 dpd about a month ago and all I can tell you is.... it is absolutely wonderful. AMS NEVE did a superb job. It's my favorite piece, with my ad16x being a close second. But I have that same combo (1073dpd/ U87ai) and I'm extremely pleased. Goin' in the right direction!
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisK
I would love to hear what you guys hate about the 103 in detail.

i wouldn't use the word 'hate' to describe my feelings for the 103; 'mild annoyance' is more like it.

on the most basic level, everything i audition thru that mic sounds unappealing to me. it has a pinched quality, a smallness, especially in the top. it's not grainy, but it's not smooth... is there a word for that in-between place? silty?

the bottom line is that there is always another mic laying around that does the job better. some mics sound great on a lot of things, some sound amazing on just a few. as far as i can tell the 103 sounds so-so on everything and fantastic on nothing. and for whatever reason, gear that is mediocre incurs my wrath much more than gear that sucks.

again, this is all extremely subjective and this is just my (admittedly snobby) opinion. i'm only chiming in because you actually asked ; )

gregoire
del ubik
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
i wouldn't use the word 'hate' to describe my feelings for the 103; 'mild annoyance' is more like it.

on the most basic level, everything i audition thru that mic sounds unappealing to me. it has a pinched quality, a smallness, especially in the top. it's not grainy, but it's not smooth... is there a word for that in-between place? silty?

the bottom line is that there is always another mic laying around that does the job better. some mics sound great on a lot of things, some sound amazing on just a few. as far as i can tell the 103 sounds so-so on everything and fantastic on nothing. and for whatever reason, gear that is mediocre incurs my wrath much more than gear that sucks.

again, this is all extremely subjective and this is just my (admittedly snobby) opinion. i'm only chiming in because you actually asked ; )

gregoire
del ubik
I'm very curious to hear how my 103 sounds through the 1073DPD I'm getting tomorrow... me thinks it will definitely help the mic!
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Rob, any update on this?

I also have U87 and TLM 103, and Im considering 1073 DPA.

How was the improvment over the avalon?
thx
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

You should go for that 87. Personally that is what I use. I have a couple of 87's an 89, a couple of tlm-103's, a 4050, and a couple of 414's, and more than a few pre's but for some reason my favorite is always the 87 through an Avalon 737. I record on 2" tape so that's why I like what that chain does for me. You should get rid of that tlm-103. I've got 2 of those and never really use them for anything but spare room mic's. You can use that $ for a down payment on a new pre. Dude why don't you try americanmusical.com. I've bought a ton of gear with those guys. Here's the way they work. If you buy something that costs say $2000, then you get like 4 or 5 payment plan. The first time they will charge you the first payment plus delivery, then every month they will charge you the regular payment. I dont know what kind of budget your on but when I started buying gear, I was always and still am always on that website buying gear. They have Avalon's, GML's, Focusrites and a few other ones. You should really check them out.
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Head

I got my chameleon 7602 + u87 ai shockmount = 2400$
pluss the 1176 it would be the killer
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Get rid of both, pick up a Gefell UM70 and a John Hardy M1, with spare money to boot.
Well that's a pretty nice rig, especially the Geffel idea.

I'm gonna say to find a nice older 87, pre 1990, and that'll be sweet. Also, if you haven't tried the Great River ME-1NV or the Chandler Germanium, iI'd give 'em a listen-see. Either of those will give great character. Obviously the GR is 1073-based, with the Germanium being it's own phat thang.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get rid of both, pick up a Gefell UM70 and a John Hardy M1, with spare money to boot.
One more vote for the UM70. Sounds like you've already got a new pre, but that M7 capsule is IMHO one of the warmest, deepest, most flexible sounds going.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Definitely try the U195/GR MP-2NV combo.

I work with a R&B female singer and it's what I use, it sounds fabulous.
Old 7th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k

gregoire
del ubik
I'm with you on this..... except that I do quite like the 103 on rack toms...... sometimes.....
Old 7th July 2006
Gear Addict

First of all I had a look at your homepage, and it looks very well designed and interesting to click through. Also your studio and equipment seems fine, all except the tlm103 which is not up to the standard of the rest you got. So a better mic is what you need. But after that I can't help you.

Personally I have the U195 which is the best I could find for my Mark Knopfler like voice, better than a U87 recorded in the same session. As to preamp I have narrowed down the choice to a ME1NV too through listening to what I can find on the net. Also my test recording were done with a GR, though not the nv variety. Now I just need the money for that that me1nv. So I am with cdog on the choices, but that may no suit your female artist.
Old 8th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta
Hi Rob, any update on this?

I also have U87 and TLM 103, and Im considering 1073 DPA.

How was the improvment over the avalon?
thx
I think the improvement over the Avalon is huge. I would love to get 4 more of the 1073DPD's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search