The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 STA-LEVEL for bus compressing ? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Head

2 STA-LEVEL for bus compressing ?

Hello There !

I'm starting to look for a bus compressor. I already have a RETRO STA-LEVEL, and ADORE it !

Is buying another STA an option ? I know it is, but anyone using 2 STA on the bus ?

Thanx

p
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Addict

sta level

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdesj View Post
Hello There !

I'm starting to look for a bus compressor. I already have a RETRO STA-LEVEL, and ADORE it !

Is buying another STA an option ? I know it is, but anyone using 2 STA on the bus ?

Thanx

p
That is a lot of rack space to use for the 2 bus on a mix...of course it probably would sound great although I personally think it hits a bit too hard for that function. I like the C2 on the 2 buss and the sta level on drum or bass busses. It is all personal taste but some compressors just seem to work better in certain situations for specific duties.
Old 8th March 2009
Gear Addict

2 bus

I also love the STA. Have you looked into the Shadow Hills Mastering Comp on the 2 bus? Some serious mojo. It does however take an eternity to get one.

Cheers,

John
Old 8th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdesj View Post
Hello There !

Thanx

p
I've done it for medium tempo jazz and acoustic pop stuff.
sounded good.not something i would gravitate towards generally for rock,faster electric pop,etc. ..a little too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
I also love the STA. Have you looked into the Shadow Hills Mastering Comp on the 2 bus? Some serious mojo. It does however take an eternity to get one.
I love the SH.use it on about 80%.
Old 8th March 2009
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that the Sta-Level, like most vari-mu units, has a very high compression ratio and will tend to squash things heavily when it goes into limiting. Unlike the 176, it's sort of an "all or nothing" unit - either it's limiting hard, or doing nothing, with little ground in between. For the mix buss, wouldn't one want a unit with a more gentle dynamic and a lower compression ratio?

Many vari-mu limiters actually have a negative compression ratio when you start hitting them hard - increase the input level, and the output level goes down. Fine if that's what you want, but not so good if you are just after "normal" compression.
Old 8th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post

Cheers,

John
i don't think the wait on the SHMC is as bad as it used to be. mine shipped out about 3months after ordering it.
Old 8th March 2009
Lives for gear

Check this out.

This was posted in the new product section.
The DuaLevel is essentially a dual Sta-Level with triode output stages for improved linearity and line driver triodes for output from the vari-mu stage like Fairchild, and greatly reduced heat and power consumption. These are wired for 6386's, and are supplied with our special wide-range tetrodes. They feature three-position release (the two Sta-Level speeds, plus fast) and two attack speeds: Sta-Level and fast. Input and output levels are independently adjustable. The channels may be dual mono or stereo sync. There are two versions: the $4000 version features Hammond HQ transformers, a +20dbm output and two meters. The $3400 version features +6Dbm output (soft clipping at +16dbm) and a single switchable meter.
Special-order three and four-channel sync/separate versions are avaliable on one chassis.

DuaLevel units feature lifetime repair and recalibration, free. The owner pays shipping both ways, and purchases only parts needed, either directly from suppliers, or through us at no mark-up. DuaLevel is built to last 50+ years.

PLEASE CONTACT BOB EBELING AT [email protected] FOR ALL INQUIRIES.

Gear Addict

For me two Sta-levels would be too much. I do use two retro 176s more and more on the master bus. yummy.

Sean
Old 18th March 2009
Lives for gear
LOVE THE STA RETRO

BEST compressor for voice for me.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Nut

Bumping this thread because I just ordered a retro sta and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a second for stereo sources.

For example, acoustic guitar, synths, and bass where it's the lead as well. There's been a lot of dance pop tracks where the bass is stereo.
Old 8th August 2014
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilson View Post
Bumping this thread because I just ordered a retro sta and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to get a second for stereo sources.

For example, acoustic guitar, synths, and bass where it's the lead as well. There's been a lot of dance pop tracks where the bass is stereo.
I don't have any experience with the retro sta level, only with the original Gates built unit but I don't remember any stereo linking connections.
Are Retro sta levels fitted with stereo linking because if not the stereo picture in the assumed stereo bus is going to get a bit jumpy.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmec View Post
I don't have any experience with the retro sta level, only with the original Gates built unit but I don't remember any stereo linking connections.
Are Retro sta levels fitted with stereo linking because if not the stereo picture in the assumed stereo bus is going to get a bit jumpy.
Even if they do link, they will still trigger in slightly different ratios. I even hear this with two linked Disstressors.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I own a matched pair, which includes a one rack space Retro logo'd link switch - very spiffy looking. While I don't use them for overall 2 bus compression, I do use them for parallel drum compression, where they work just fine.

And yes, they kill on lead vocals, background vocal stems, bass, etc.

Phil is making some very cool **** these days.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Nut

i have a gates sta. it's great on vocals for sure. i have never tried it on any bus 'cause i have just one; but i can't imagine it working to well on the main bus of anything up tempo. but who knows.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmars View Post
i have a gates sta. it's great on vocals for sure. i have never tried it on any bus 'cause i have just one; but i can't imagine it working to well on the main bus of anything up tempo. but who knows.
I think that's a good point, tempo can equate to usefulness with retro/gates sta levels.

My absolute favorite use for them is bass, but only when the bass isn't moving to fast. I mean the Retro versions have quite a few speed settings and can work, but a slow dark ballad with a bunch of whole and half notes, nuttin better.

As someone said once the release shouldn't be measured in milliseconds but hours.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search