The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"Trim" on 1073s
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

"Trim" on 1073s

Why did they put a trim knob on the Neve 1073 besides the 5db steps? Even the clones have this knob and I'm wondering what the importance is... Perhaps part of the Neve sound is clipping the pre and then trimming the driver stage so that you don't overdrive tape/AD??? This may be a stupid question (contrary to popular belief there IS such a thing), but I'm curious... Many Thanks, Martin
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

The trim is just the equivalent of the fader on the console...On my 1073s(originals) I can disengage the trim pot on the rack and come right off the preamp if I want.
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Guru

There are a bunch of slutz that know more than me, but to my recollection, no original Neve Pre's had that trim knob on there. It was an add on to make up for the lack of a fader when you record direct from the Pre. The consoles were designed for you to use the direct outs (post fader) to go direct to tape. But without a real Neve console, you're stuck with a stepped situation. So the trim was added. I never use mine as I have distressors after my pre's with continuous knobs.

Hope that helps, and more importantly, I hope I am correct.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

we dont have trim pots on our 1073's. i just use another piece of gear(la-2a)to act as a trim.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

1073's have plenty of headroom. You kinda have to try to clip them. They do however fatten up a bit when you drive them harder.
Old 11th July 2005
On most Neve consoles the direct out was pre fader. It was the path "Direct Out" of the 1073. If you wanted to use the fader as a output control you would have to send the ch. to a bus. On racked 1073 or any pre for that matter, the output gain control does make life easy if you want to hit the pre hard, but want control over your level to tape.
Old 11th July 2005
DAW setups are often 'faderless' so it is handy to have a level control..folks using outboard gear often skip a console and go from one outboard box to another - then straight to the recording device..

and yes.. you can 'drive' the pre's by turning up the gain and lowering the output - although I never seem to remember to do that.. or be drawn towards doing it..despite haveing the chance to with my pair of Neves.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules

and yes.. you can 'drive' the pre's by turning up the gain and lowering the output - although I never seem to remember to do that.. or be drawn towards doing it..despite haveing the chance to with my pair of Neves.

you shoud give it a shot sometime,it can be great on the right source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search