The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question for AEA R84 owners
Old 15th July 2005
Well, in that case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim light
I didn't know that, everyday is a learning day!

I have no chance to demo these mics.

I may have just what you need. Or would appreciate, whether you need it or not.

Take a look.

http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ul...c&f=1&t=001465

It's an article about a dozen ribbon mics, and there will be a CD of the recordings. Should be out by September. That's the goal.

Check out the pdf for lots of good reading and pictures.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have been working a lot with my new AEA R92 on guitar cabs, and I just don't get it! It sounds "ok" imho, but nothing spectacular. I listened to War's audio clips, and was encouraged, so I continued on, but still no dice.

I mentioned this to a friend who loaned me his Royer R121...Ahhhh....now *that's* more like it!!!

I know this is all a matter of personal taste, but to my ears (and the talent in the studio during this test), the R121 was a much better sounding guitar mic for the amp/style/player/song etc.

I haven't given up on the R92 yet, but I am so far a bit underwhelmed.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Guru

if you love it, it's better

(mic to pre matching and impedance are an issue as well)
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
if you love it, it's better

(mic to pre matching and impedance are an issue as well)

Agreed! I have heard that the ribbons are most sensitive to impedance changes compared to condensers and dynamics.

I tried all of the pres that I have available in the studio: API, Great River, Telefunken (not enough gain) and the ISA428, and tried different impedance settings as aften as were available. I did not try the console pres (Soundtracs Topaz), but that is all I have left!
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

I was saving up for an 84, but after some more reading/thinking- I think the 92 may suit my needs better.

- my room sound is , so distance miking doesn't really "add" to the recording
I'd like to get closer into the instruments, and it sounds like the 92 is more suited for that

- my sound sources aren't too bright as it is, so I'd like the brighter of the two

- that's $200 less I have to save (I know they're reasonable priced, but I'm broke)

- if I want a more "84 sound" I an use the back side of the 92 (false?)

for my situation, do you agree with my choice?

thanks
Old 17th July 2005
I'd go along with everything but your last statement. Neither side of the 92 sounds like an 84. The back is smoother on top, but doesn't have the warmth of an 84, regardless of distance. It was designed out of it.
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston
I'd go along with everything but your last statement. Neither side of the 92 sounds like an 84. The back is smoother on top, but doesn't have the warmth of an 84, regardless of distance. It was designed out of it.
ditto

the 92 and a good eq and you're home free
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks for the feedback guys - I think I may go for the 92.

And a little OT comment: Lynn, those interview mp3s on your site are great. It was inspiring and makes me take a little step back ( if that makes any sense.) And man, is Massenburg entertaining to listen to.

: )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search