The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bricasti Horror Video (now with .wavs) Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I do agree so just gave my opinion on their demonstration room (which was well setup and away from anything to disturb)
Maybe too much hype deflated it a bit. Everyone saying it's the best thing but I didn't get that with the demo I heard anyway.
I could certainly hear it well enough to know it's not what I look for in a Reverb. Simple as that. Could be the best reverb ever for 99.9% of people. What I heard didn't do it for me.
I'll gladly listen to it in a more controlled environment though.
Dont worry it doesn't get me over excited either...I bought mine secondhand pretty cheap when they first came out..the guy I bought mine off wasn't impressed at all..hence the sale.

To me it's just another effects box with a cool sound much like all the other reverb boxes I own..however it has it's place and does it's job well..it certainly hasn't replaced all my vintage reverb boxes..that's a ridiculous notion anway. But then I dont want emulations.. I want new exciting options and sounds.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

This is probably way out of line ( as I cut the line after watching the youtube clip) and I haven't followed the thread though its course.

But wait a second:

Are we supposed to make critical decisions regarding reverb tails based on some $2.00 on-camera mic capsule though a $1.22 TLO72 and a crap on-camera 16 bit a/d converter in a room we don't know, as played through a pair of nearfield monitors at low level while a guy is talking?

It's like wine tasting in a fart-filled port-o-let.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

the bricasti is an amazing sounding unit. it's real strengths are in the rooms and chambers. oh - and the halls! wow.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eganmedia View Post
though a $1.22 TLO72
Wow, you would pay a buck 22 for a TLO72. Send me your order!

Quote:
I was doing just that last night, and the nose on a really nice 2005 Sterno cut right through.

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

casey,

i'd love it if bricasti would put together a preset sheet that briefly describes the stock patches. i'm still surfing around thru presets looking for the best ones to start with in my mixes. i have some faves of course, but have failed to memorize them so far.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray dsr View Post
casey,

i'd love it if bricasti would put together a preset sheet that briefly describes the stock patches. i'm still surfing around thru presets looking for the best ones to start with in my mixes. i have some faves of course, but have failed to memorize them so far.
I encourage folks to just drop me a note and start a discussion as to what you are looking for. Sometimes this goes beyond just finding a starting point and gets into tweaking the system.

We have tried to provide meaningful names for each preset, but this can still leave questions. Drop me a note, and we'll go through it.

Describing presets is more difficult than you might imagine!

In any case, we hope that after ten years the M7 will be like an old pair of jeans, and we stand ready to help it get there. Mix by mix!

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is probably way out of line ( as I cut the line after watching the youtube clip) and I haven't followed the thread though its course.

But wait a second:

Are we supposed to make critical decisions regarding reverb tails based on some $2.00 on-camera mic capsule though a $1.22 TLO72 and a crap on-camera 16 bit a/d converter in a room we don't know, as played through a pair of nearfield monitors at low level while a guy is talking?..
Well, yes but the 'difference was huge wasn’t it and easy enough to hear in spite of the $2.00 on-camera mic capsule though a $1.22 TLO72 and a crap on-camera 16 bit a/d converter in a room we don't know, as played through a pair of nearfields.

More the point though is someone(s?) took what was likely a set-up difference -or just as likely just a booboo, as a measure of quality!
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:

But wait a second:

Are we supposed to make critical decisions regarding reverb tails based on some $2.00 on-camera mic capsule though a $1.22 TLO72 and a crap on-camera 16 bit a/d converter in a room we don't know, as played through a pair of nearfield monitors at low level while a guy is talking?

Umm Yeah.. you probably should've read the whole thread.
it was like kinda one of the first things we discussed[in bitchy valley girl speak]heh
Old 11th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
What do you expect? Your video almost made me sell my M7 and go shopping for a real plate. For no reason.

So let me see if I have this right.... you actually HAVE an M7 in your rack but you were willing to let a video, produced in a studio that you have never stepped foot in, arguably with questionable testing methods, on a recording that you had no hand in tracking change your opinion of a piece of gear you already owned and seemed to like?

On top of that you were willing to let this test push you to the edge of selling your M7, the same M7 that you seemed to be pretty happy with before said test?

With all due respect, that is just amazing to me.

You have the M7... here is a suggestion... ohhhhh, I don't know..... maybe use the M7 YOU ALREADY HAVE and see if you like it on your recordings and don't make large gear decisions based on testing done by others.

So many people just chase their tails around here. If you have something that works use it and go record something. The answer to better sounding productions doesn't lie over the next hill in some magic box, it comes from experience recording and mixing, most of the time over years and years.
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

So many people just chase their tails around here. If you have something that works use it and go record something. The answer to better sounding productions doesn't lie over the next hill in some magic box, it comes from experience recording and mixing, most of the time over years and years.
Someone sticky this pleasethumbsup
Old 11th April 2009
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Dont worry it doesn't get me over excited either...I bought mine secondhand pretty cheap when they first came out..the guy I bought mine off wasn't impressed at all..hence the sale.
I'm a gear slut when it comes to reverbs, owning EMTs, Quantec, TC System 6000, Lexicon 300, etc., and probably a targeted customer. But the Bricasti M7 is not the right concept for me, no matter how it sounds - and from the examples I heard here on GS it may sound great. First it has no surround capabilities (big oversight in my view). Then it has a fan and no solution with plug in style remote editing (VST, AU). The M10 remote is too expensive for what it does - I compare it to the TC Icon which I like and use a lot. There is AD/DA in the box. Preferable would be a slim, cool staying box like the ones from Quantec without converters but surround.
That are the points that prevented me getting a test unit so far. And I listened closely when dlmorley stated that he was not impressed as an experienced EMT user.
But I wish Bricasti success nevertheless. Maybe they come out one day with a M7.1 and ADAT lightpipe in a blind plate case with plug in and remote support?
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
Maybe they come out one day with a M7.1 and ADAT lightpipe in a blind plate case with plug in and remote support?
We plan to build the same M7 for at least a decade, and no others.

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
We plan to build the same M7 for at least a decade, and no others.
So you decided in advance against having a surround reverb for a decade? You must have very strong arguments against surround capabilities. Or is there a technical issue with your algorithm? Curious ...
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
And I listened closely when dlmorley stated that he was not impressed as an experienced EMT user.
Listening closely to a guy who heard it briefly on the show floor?!
c'mon.really?
I'm an experienced 140 user owner too and the Bricasti really shines with the best of em.and the guys in the room with who also swear by the EMT's hear it too.
I really didn't get it until i had the thing with me in the room w/ the EMT 140 & 240.
remember you can tweak this thing to sound like a lot of things ..and v 2.0 is gonna up the ante considerably
Your doing yourself a big disservice by not trying it yourself in your own room
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

I take it this has been said more than the 5 or 6 times I read it scanning this thread, but I just can not resist. You need to put up REAL audio tracks recorded direct if we are to make any accurate judgement of this. It happens all the time. Millions of dollars worth of gear sitting in the background while we, the supposed judges, listen through plastic cups on a string on the other end. You can not tell at all from that video what it sounds like.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
On top of that you were willing to let this test push you to the edge of selling your M7, the same M7 that you seemed to be pretty happy with before said test?

With all due respect, that is just amazing to me.
Yes, I'm an amazing guy! Really.
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Then it has a fan and no solution with plug in style remote editing (VST, AU).
You could easily use software like Sounddiver or Midiquest or similar to get into the guts of the M7 remotely like people have been doing with midi controllable hardware for a long time. Alternatively, you could use any one of a number of different development platforms to build your own unique M7 editor that's taylored to your own personal remote interface preferences. We built pretty cool editors for a couple of Soundart Chameleon applications using Synthedit & the results were really quite good. They also ran in VST as either instruments or effects. There's quite a few other platforms I can think of as well which would allow building a remote editor without having to get hardcore & code one from scratch. thumbsup
Old 11th April 2009
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Listening closely to a guy who heard it briefly on the show floor?!
c'mon.really?
I'm an experienced 140 user owner too and the Bricasti really shines with the best of em.and the guys in the room with who also swear by the EMT's hear it too.
I really didn't get it until i had the thing with me in the room w/ the EMT 140 & 240.
remember you can tweak this thing to sound like a lot of things ..and v 2.0 is gonna up the ante considerably
Your doing yourself a big disservice by not trying it yourself in your own room
I don't take anybody's experience as a guideline ... I just want to express that it came as a surprise to read that from dmorley. Anyway ... the concept is what is holding me back, not the sound. And btw. ... my four EMTs are all digital units, and I know the 240 'just' as a borrowed unit I sampled into my SREV1. I will surely hear the Bricasti somewhere anyway in the near future ... since everybody and his uncle swears and rave about it.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you decided in advance against having a surround reverb for a decade? You must have very strong arguments against surround capabilities. Or is there a technical issue with your algorithm? Curious ...
Yes this is a good question. We have nothing against surround. Just the opposite. Surround work using multiple M7s has been heard on quite a few recent movies.

V2 will expand this capability by allowing 3 M7s to be set to sound just slightly different. This will bring the current left/right soundstage to front/side/rear as well.

The M10 remote is designed to control up to eight M7s, and can save and restore the settings of all of the attached m7s at a single press of a button.

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhang View Post
You need to put up REAL audio tracks recorded direct if we are to make any accurate judgement of this.
The "now with .wavs" part of the thread title was added about halfway through the thread. Check them out and let us know how you guessed.

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

If your mix requires reverb and you can't make the Bricasti work, its not the Bricasti's fault. I can do so many things with the Bricasti that I never thought I could acheive with reverb. I can create spaces that are so transparent you don't even know they exist till I bypass the returns.. or make snare reverbs so lush it makes me mad that I can't find a room that actually sounds so perfect.

Judging sound from a youtube video is about as smart as judging a girl's looks solely based on her myspace profile photo.
Old 11th April 2009
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes this is a good question. We have nothing against surround. Just the opposite. Surround work using multiple M7s has been heard on quite a few recent movies.

V2 will expand this capability by allowing 3 M7s to be set to sound just slightly different. This will bring the current left/right soundstage to front/side/rear as well.

The M10 remote is designed to control up to eight M7s, and can save and restore the settings of all of the attached m7s at a single press of a button.
Thank you for answering this one. I knew that several M7s can be combined with the remote but I think that is a half baked 'solution', if not less. I've used stereo reverbs in a surround mix recently as an addition and it can work combining stereo reverbs for certain tasks, e.g. when feeding one stereo reverb into another and panning them accordingly in the surround field. There is much room for experimentation. But a real surround reverb algorithm like TC's VSS 6.1 is another world. When I close my eyes I can hear a living room with correlation between all the channels. That's not possible as far as I know when combining just stereo reverbs and pan them in the surround field.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for answering this one. I knew that several M7s can be combined with the remote but I think that is a half baked 'solution', if not less.
I see your point. The M7 does not do internal surround routing, so in that sense it is half baked as you say.

M7 customers are forced to do the surround routing in their console.

-Casey
Old 11th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang View Post
If your mix requires reverb and you can't make the Bricasti work, its not the Bricasti's fault. I can do so many things with the Bricasti that I never thought I could acheive with reverb. I can create spaces that are so transparent you don't even know they exist till I bypass the returns.. or make snare reverbs so lush it makes me mad that I can't find a room that actually sounds so perfect.
the transparency is a blessing and a curse with marketing... a lot of realworld uses for the bricasti wont be immediately apparent because it enhances the room the track was originally recorded in.....

if done correctly it just sounds like a really good recording and not "reverb".

ppl are expecting a big wash of reverb while i'm most blown away by how well the bricasti reverb becomes part of the sound...
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
M7 customers are forced to do the surround routing in their console.
What a bummer eh? There couldn't be a more horrific place to do your routing....

sorry, I do like sarcasm. heh
Old 12th April 2009
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmoorhs View Post
What a bummer eh? There couldn't be a more horrific place to do your routing....

sorry, I do like sarcasm. heh
I didn't know that surround reverb is just a matter of routing. All these researches for surround reverb algorithms when we just need our old friend 'router' ...
(I like sarcasm too)
Old 12th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
I didn't know that surround reverb is just a matter of routing.
I didn't say it was just a matter of routing.
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
the Bricasti M7 is not the right concept for me, no matter how it sounds
Quote:
I will surely hear the Bricasti somewhere anyway in the near future ...
I hear you. Sometimes the feature set is just not right for your workflow or personal tastes.

But in the off chance that you would like to demo one at your place, just let me know. We always have 3 or 4 demo units available in Germany.

-Casey

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search