The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TRIDENT 80 - The search is on
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

TRIDENT 80 - The search is on

Hi!

On my everlasting search for a Trident Series 80 in Europe i stumbled over this on:

http://www.larkingslist.com/default2...ve_page_id=276

The problem is that this board seems to be heavily modified, so i guess it´s not in original shape. The question is if the modifications are for the better and make this board even more desirable?

Any opinions on this one would be very appreciated!
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Modified at the factory is a different kettle of fish. "Custom Built" is possibly more accurate. Meaning it's probably neatly implimented. Hope so, anyway.

I prefer the original Sowter Transformers over Jensens in an '80 but they both sound excellent.
(Edit: Jensens over Belclaire's anyday) *smacks head*

An area of weakness though, is Trident Power Supplies, which often suck.
I hope the Swedes insisted on beefier ones. Or that would be a problem area later, perhaps.

It would be nice to hear the thing somehow first, since its a unique version.
Transistor output amps would probably sound better. Maybe even have higher headroom.

Price -wise I can't compare it to anything easily, seems about right.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

It appears to have been spec'ed that way from the factory, so while it's not a stock 80, it appears to be original factory work.
The replacement power supply is an improvement, as it's providing local regulation in groups of every five modules.
The output buffers being the original TL071 followed by a discrete transistor pair is a plus, as the later 80s jumpered them out and popped an NE5534 in there instead. The 52 Jensen output transformers being present is a big plus (these were always an option on 80s.)
The mic pre transformers being changed to the optional Jensens from the stock Belclere will change their tone. Subjective call as to whether that's a plus, a minus, or a wash.
The master/ monitor section mods may provide some additional functionality, but alot of it will be geared towards radio. I'd just as soon have the extra two input modules and a stock master section.
The mod I would be most concerned about would be the EQ. The fact they mention how simple it would be to undo tells you the broker realizes this as well.
You might want to contact Bo Hansen about this desk and get his opinion, I have a feeling that he might be the guy that originally commissioned the desk. Try him here: TridentAudio : Trident Audio users group

Last edited by subspace; 5th April 2011 at 12:09 AM..
Old 7th August 2005
Here for the gear

series 80 rules

And yes, I adore the old Trident. We do run a Series 80 C console (40 channels in a 48channel frame) here in Germany. I love the overall sound of the console. Its amazing.

Mic pre´s are clean yet warm. Actually I dont use any other mic pre´s at all anymore.

Our console is equipped with a Yellowtech VCA automation. This improves the overall quality of the console a lot since noise floor is lowered big time when compared to the automation turned off. Actually, the console doesnt have any noticable noise at all with the automation.

But I have to mention that you really pay for the sound my the means of keeping the console in a good shape. It takes me about 3-4 days a year to recalibrate, clean and do some major and minor bug fixes. But you must always remember that this is an old piece of gear.

The op amps are still the original ones. today, you could even replace most of them with even less-noise ones. But to me it doesnt really make sense since as I said, the console is really quite with the automation.

I´ve talked to John Oram 3 years ago and since he´s most proud of the 80C, its not problem to still get any support there.

Customization on the Console is easy and sometimes useful. For example, having the VCA automation for the channel fading, I easiely recalibrated the channel output from standard max +5db up to max +8db. This gave us a even little better s/n ratio. Since the mix bus amp amp can handle up to +28db (as I remember John said), we never had any problems with overloading the mix bus. And yes, we mix complex, loud and heavy stuff.

Just as I said: I love it.

cheers,
stefan.-

http://www.tam-recordings.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search