The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microtech Gefell Um70s Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd March 2009
Here for the gear

Microtech Gefell Um70s

Hi, got one on hand here, with the M7 capsule. My question is this; The ad says this is the newest (improved) version before they laid off and began the making of the UMT. Got the transformer.

I love the old one, but I'm wondering exactly what this improvement was? I thought there was only one version of the old one, this looks brand new. Will it sound the same? Anyone know?
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

well if you know the old one you simply can find out for yourself whether the um70s sounds the same or not! i have myself and would like to know too! after working with it for a few weeks now there are 2 things that bother me:
- it doesn´t take the spl of a loud guitar amp like my c414 or soundelux u195
- it´s pretty tight in the bass regions, one could maybe say a little bass shy? but it shines in the mids! very nice!
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Maniac

I own a pair of these pretty UM70S. ...do you mean the improved version with the RF-filter? As you see here on the pics, my UM70S has got an extension on the XLR-connector side - the filter is on the place where the XLR was before. due to that my mic is approx 0.5 inch longer than other UM70S-versions with the disadvantage not to fit perfectly into the box anymore.

this was one of the older ones and i've asked the guys in Gefell to make that modification for me because i've got some problems with RF after installing W-lan here... its absolutely quiet now regarding that annoying noise. love it... the costs for that update in 2005 were: 100.-€ / each mic together with capsule-servicing

Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Guru

Don't want to bum you out, but there's a $2 fix for the RF problems:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/tips-...blems-fix.html

Great mics!
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

I have one of the old ones...yes, it's bass shy...at least--it doesn't have any big proximity effect like you're used to getting up on a cardioid LDC. It's funny--I think most have an artificially big low end...then this one doesn't have it, and sits in a track pefectly without subtractive EQ...and I call it "bass shy"...

The person who sold it to me had the $2 "fix" thing for the RF...but, it's never given me that issue. Maybe being in a basement helps with that.
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

Great mics!
...ok, but i don't care.
this was 4 yrs ago (and your hint to a solution is just 1 yr old...) and my mic capsules needed servicing anyway after 12 years of use so I've sent the mics to the manufacturer. this modification was carried out in a very professional way and i can use any of my cables - not interested to tinker with my gear......

btw: what is your favourite application for the UM70S?
for me: VoiceOver but have it also used for ADR (male and femal voices), female singers. ... Also used as a main pair in XY or ORTF.
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Nut

You should get in touch with Gefell IMMEDIATELY and tell them not to replace the capsule in your mic! Just to be on the safe side...

I have a trio of newer UMT70s, and two of them are giving me weird noise issues (intermittent LOUD bursts of noise.) I sent one back for repair, and gefell replaced the capsule without telling me, refused to return the old one, and now I don't like the sound of the newer capsule as much, nor does it match the other two which are within a few serial-numbers of each other; oh, and the problem wasn't solved - the new capsule still makes the same popping noises! SO, assuming your older mic doesn't have specific problems, I would urge you to make sure that Gefell doesn't automatically "update" it with a new M7; I'm pretty sure that the newer ones aren't up to the level that they had been in the past. Very sad to say. I could be wrong in generalizing about this, and I hope that I am. Just be careful - my $.02.
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Nut

I have an old UM70S with no RF-fix, and I've only had problems once. I actually got a dialogue from a nearby police radio comming out
from the speakers. The vocalist in the studio got the same in his head phones, and looked very confused. That was a fun experence.
I'm not sure if I want to fix that bug...
Old 4th March 2009
MsM
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstreber View Post
You should get in touch with Gefell IMMEDIATELY and tell them not to replace the capsule in your mic! Just to be on the safe side...

I have a trio of newer UMT70s, and two of them are giving me weird noise issues (intermittent LOUD bursts of noise.) I sent one back for repair, and gefell replaced the capsule without telling me, refused to return the old one, and now I don't like the sound of the newer capsule as much, nor does it match the other two which are within a few serial-numbers of each other; oh, and the problem wasn't solved - the new capsule still makes the same popping noises! SO, assuming your older mic doesn't have specific problems, I would urge you to make sure that Gefell doesn't automatically "update" it with a new M7; I'm pretty sure that the newer ones aren't up to the level that they had been in the past. Very sad to say. I could be wrong in generalizing about this, and I hope that I am. Just be careful - my $.02.
I have a UM70S, and been wondering if I should have it serviced. But things like this scares me. Even if you tell them, how can you be sure? Do you have to send it to someone else first, and afterwards, trust them to be reputable and verify the work, and that no replacement has taken place?

(Even if you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you ... heh )

Or should I just sent it to some reputable independent service firm/person and have it serviced?

Any recomendations in Europe?
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Nut

Try this company: Välkommen till Mikrofonen.se — Microtech Gefell i Sverige

It's a minor microphone import company, and they are the official Gefell dealers of Sweden.
They have good reputation, and have the same passion for microphones as the people of this forum...
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsM View Post
Any recomendations in Europe?
I'm in the states, so I haven't had time to send mine over to the EU, but if I did there is only one place I'd consider (other than the factory) :

[email protected]
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post

Great mics!
Any idea how this could be done with the older MV692/UM70 with power supply.

I have one which seems to have a grounding issue.

Thanks,

F
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Guru

Find a way to get the ground shield to not just ground the circuit, but to the body of the mic. That's essentially what the above mod does. Any tech should be able to help you out. Good luck!
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

Cheers Bill-with look into it.

F
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

this is a really nice mic if i cant take my 47 with me .
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

Um 70s dating, lineage and history

Hi..
Ive just bought a um70s and am looking to accurately date it. Also, ive been trying to find any history of the development of the mic, can anyone here help?
Yours hopefully,

Les
Old 10th August 2011
Here for the gear

Micro tech Gefell GMBH UM 70s

I just found two of these microphones and I would like to find out more about them before I list them on EBay. They are in the original boxes and one is even still in the original box with the outer box which is the way it cane from the factory. They are not a pair and have different numbers on them . One is 1319 and one is 1161. If anyone can tell me about them I would sure be thankful. Email is [email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search