The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compression/Compressor settings on Standup Jazz Bass
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear addict

Compression/Compressor settings on Standup Jazz Bass

I have an acoustic standup Jazz bass in a current mix I am working on. I was not involved in the recording process so I am unsure what equipment was used (i.e pre/mic/etc). However I cannot seem to get any good attack on the bass in the mix and it keeps getting lost without any definition. I have tried the UAD 1176 and the BF 1176 (both with fast and attack and release/4:1 and 8:1). The 12:1 just seemed to squash it too much. The UAD seems to work better of course but its really not cutting it. This is an ITB mix currently. What plugin and settings are best in this scenario? Any help here? Thanks!-Tguy
Old 2nd March 2009
Gear addict

Just to clarify. The attack on this particular bass is around 1K. It has been boosted and I have tried a few EQs on it. However, I start to hear it around 5-6db of gain from any EQ. But I still dont feel that punch that I should so I guess I am looking for a way to extract that punch. So it dawned on me, API 525. Anyone use this on accoustic Jazz bass. I dont have one so I would have to rent. I do have the Waves 2500 comp I could try in Mono.
Old 4th March 2009
Gear addict

Wow, no takers here. Anyway, I tried the Waves API 2500. It was actually worse than the 1176. It had a lack of punch and a more smoother compression. Does this properly represent the hardware?
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

Have you tried putting the 1176 after the EQ? You can get away with more EQ that way because the compressor sort of smooths it out and makes it sound more natural. I don't compress or EQ very much when dealing with jazz, but hey..if the source material is not working, you have to do what you have to do. If you aren't getting enough clarity in the 1-1.5 k range, try the 300-400 area and then maybe tweak the 150-220 slightly just to restore balance from the other EQing.

If at all possible I would try to get what you need by riding faders before you resort to radical EQ or compression. Try to ride the levels and then you will get a good picture of where you are at with the source material.
Old 4th March 2009
Gear Guru

what's your monitoring situation? is your room shored up?

i'm thinking either your balances are a little whacked, or the performance is subpar. i can't imagine compression is the way to fix what ails an upright in a jazz mix, although in all fairness i have been wrong once or twice before.

any chance you'll post a clip so we can hear what's going on?

gregory scott - ubk
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

I generally use a little LA2A on the jazz bass. Fix anything with EQ before it hits the LA2A, and then 'shape' it a little bit if necessary. Hope this helps.
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

im used to compressing the **** out of things in rock music but when it comes to jazz ill rarly use much compression or eq maybe 1 or 2 db at the most......sounds like either the material is not adiquatly recorded or that monitoring issues are a factor or both. thlugins you have are fine that shouldnt be a problem
Old 4th March 2009

Its hard to say without the sample but here are couple of tricks .

Notch out between 80 and 120 hz , don't high pass just notch the freq at around 100hz - every bass is different so listen carefully . Dont be afraid to notch out up to 8-9 db if needed , these beasts accumulate a lot of these freq .
Try boosting at 800hz and 2,5 khz this helps . Dont overuse the comp on the double bass - it is not the same as electric bass , you will make it even more muddy with comp. If you filter out all the bad freq. you will not need the comp at all .But listen carefully sometimes there is a boost of even 10 db at 100 hz that you cant recognize without practice and good monitoring .
Dont eq the bass soloed, eq it by listening to it with other instruments .
If too much cymbals sounds involved ad some high freq to the bass. cymbals will eat the sound of the bass . If its not working try high passing the guitar and piano and make sure the bass isn't fighting the BD .
If you have any saturation or distortion this can help .
Move it off the center left or right , just a little it helps , pann it different then the BD
If you really need to compress , use the parallel compression ....

Good luck and let us know
Old 4th March 2009
Lives for gear

This could save your day (and your nerves):

Eiosis EĀ²Transienter

Check the videos! This thing is unbelievaly flexible, and you can download it in demo mode for 15 days. It's an atomic plant though, not-as-easy-to-operate-as-it-seems and it it takes a little caution not be blinded by the impressive first impression whe n you tweak it.
I heard from it on GS, and I use half the compressors I used to need to shape things.
Old 5th March 2009
Gear addict

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I guess I can clarify a few more things but I am going to try these suggestions for sure. Anyway, it is a Jazz Bass but its not a Jazz song. Song is more of a new orleans style with standard drum kit, electric and acoustic guitars, piano, violins, violas, and an accordian. So lots of things going on. Compression is a must. I initially had the low end rolled off with a filter from the SSL channel. So I will try to remove it and use the notch suggestion and the other at 2.5 Khz. I did try the LA-2A. This again was too smooth and didnt give it a bite it needs to jump out a little out of the mix. Kick is very strong and punchy as well. After adjusting the output of the 1176 to a much higher setting and then turning down the output fader this seemed to help. It smashed the track while listening solo but in the mix, it was not heard as "over compressed". Thanks!

-Tguy
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

This is an OTB thing for me so you'll have to modify for your methods but I find that stand up bass reacts real well with an LA2a working fairly hard in parallel. Eq to taste.
Old 5th March 2009
Lives for gear

What setting? I would use the "on" setting.

Seriously, you can't ask for settings without us even hearing the instrument. I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there are ones which cannot be answered by anything other than guess work, which there is entirely too much of here.

Do what most professionals do, plug it in, and turn some knobs until it sounds OK. If you can't get a good sound, then try another box. It you want less click and and transients, turn the attack to the fastest setting. If you want more, go slower. Play with the release time and see how it effects the sound. Try more reduction. Try less reduction. Use your ears.

BTW, the Bomb Factory 1176 sucks ass. Don't use that thing.
Old 5th March 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Try anything with a slower attack. The fast attack is just gonna make it disappear more. Or transient designer. Or even Trans x. I much prefer TD to TX.
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Head

This is a very old question /post
I was searching because i'm dealing with a mix with
double bass and electric guitar (think frisell /scofield)
And i'm trying to balance things without bass eating guitar
I haven't compressed much but have used both La 2 a and La 3 a just taking half a db of the peaks

To be honest it sounds great in headphones and on my speakers but when listening on samsung headphones on my phone, midrange is emphasised and the bass disapears
I have used maxbass but maybe not enough
And come to think of it i havent highcuttet the bass
So those are 2 things i will try tomorrow
If it doesn't suffice i concider putting an 1176 on the bass maybe in parralel because i really want to keep the bass sounding as natural as possible

To answer the question here about the attack, i use a Waves C6 multiband compressor sidechained
Be carefull wich one you use
C6 is great
And fabfilters mb should be cool too

What i do it sidechain the kick drum, triggering the c6 to make space in the lows just when the kick hits
Often used in EDM but it has to be discrete just 1 db or enough to make room
Next i have beforehand eq'ed the bass cutting out some lowmids specific to this recordings bleed and sound
Cut some from 500 to around 1.5 k where i have boosted the attack a db or 2
In the C6 i have also boosted this part of the midrange but compressing it immediately after letting the attack through, avoids affecting the overall tone of the bass and the song
Hope that helps
I post a link to my recording hoping to maybe get some advice on the balance from someone used to mixing jazz
(You are all very kind but don't throw wild guesses at me please, I'm on a deadline )

Thanks in advance !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij2w3bp9ys...inal3.mp3?dl=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguy View Post
I have an acoustic standup Jazz bass in a current mix I am working on. I was not involved in the recording process so I am unsure what equipment was used (i.e pre/mic/etc). However I cannot seem to get any good attack on the bass in the mix and it keeps getting lost without any definition. I have tried the UAD 1176 and the BF 1176 (both with fast and attack and release/4:1 and 8:1). The 12:1 just seemed to squash it too much. The UAD seems to work better of course but its really not cutting it. This is an ITB mix currently. What plugin and settings are best in this scenario? Any help here? Thanks!-Tguy
Old 30th October 2016
Lives for gear

Great thread (/zombie thread)
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Head

Forgot to say
I used some waves one knob distortion
Just a slight hair to give contour
I might try some multiband disto just on the high midrange if everything else fails

and the drums in my recording were recorded with just 1 mic in the room with everyone else
Had to eq the s** out of it to rid the bassbleed a minimum from it
She was amplified just a meter away
Stupid of me i know but it was the first rehearsal with my new band last friday and to keep everyone relaxed i sacrifised the setup

Yes great thread

Last edited by vhollund; 30th October 2016 at 03:45 AM..
Old 30th October 2016
Here for the gear
Upright bass is not going to sound like a punchy electric bass, just ain't happening.
If it's a cheap plywood bass, it's going to go thump and that's it. I wouldn't cut 80 or 100 hz, that's the meat.
400 hz can make upright sound boxy , good place for a cut.
Best way to make it punchy is to double the part with a bright electric bass mixed with the upright.
The old Nashville recordings used a Dan Electro bass as a double, called tic tac bass.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

eq/compression/eq

I've found this plugin chain works well for me with upright bass:

1st: eq/notch frequencies that stick out to much.
2nd: a small amount of perhaps waves c1 compressor 2:1, -12-18 threshold and 3rd: a second eq to boost frequencies such as 800 and around 3kHz.
Buttons
PS I'm using waves q-10 mono
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search