The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chandler LTD-1 or the Great River MEQ-1NV? Your thoughts. .
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Chandler LTD-1 or the Great River MEQ-1NV? Your thoughts. .

Hey everyone,
I am interested in buying either the Chandler LTD-1 or the Great River MEQ-1NV. Does anyone have experience with either of these units that could offer their opinions. Obviously I realize that it is totally subjective, but, just want to see what the general consensus is, and pros/cons etc. I will be using it mainly for the beginning of a lead vocal chain, kick drum, bass, and whatever else. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Ryan
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Nut

I have never used the GR but I can attest to the awesome sound of the LTD-1. Sounds great on everything.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack jonz
I have never used the GR but I can attest to the awesome sound of the LTD-1. Sounds great on everything.
I have both,the great river sounds clean and open. I like the LTD-1 on vocals and guitars for most applications. It has the right tone for rock vocals and guitars. The GR on acoustic guitars,snare,Kick sometimes bass but usually a Avalon M5 on bass. Just my opinion
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Guru

I've had limited GR use..it was very cool for what we used it on: GTR's, vox..
I love the LTD1 ..Real neve vibe ..and I love the extra EQ points for kick and snare..
Sounds good on everthing.
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

thanks everyone,
I think I might go with the chandler. . . but who knows 5 min. from now. Hey roundbadge, I have read in some of your other posts that you dig Daking pre's. Obviously it's a different sound than the chandler, but do you feel that it is more versatile than the chandler, or just a different flavor (one that I hope to add evantually). Thanks again for everyones input.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
thanks everyone,
I think I might go with the chandler. . . but who knows 5 min. from now. Hey roundbadge, I have read in some of your other posts that you dig Daking pre's. Obviously it's a different sound than the chandler, but do you feel that it is more versatile than the chandler, or just a different flavor (one that I hope to add evantually). Thanks again for everyones input.
The Chandler sounds HUGE. The GR does not. Depends on whether you like HUGE.

I do. I find it much easier to thin out a sound than to try to add body to something that doesn't have it. The GR is a great clean sounding pre (sorry, I don't agree that it sounds NEVE like or large and full bodied at all). The GR has a killer DI for guitar, though.

But for vocals, I'd go with the Chandler in a heartbeat.

TH (JMHO)
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
thanks everyone,
I've had the Dakings for 12 years and they've never,ever let me down..never a single technical issue ..built like a tank.I don't think twice about taking them on locations.
Especially love the the EQ's!
Used em on everything from Clint Black's vocals to Herbie Hancock's piano to punk rock and everything in between....
Drums, Vocals,Horns,Piano, synth's,Bass, etc,etc.....condensers,ribbons..
..all worked well.
different flavor to Neves
..They'd be a great compliment to the Chandlers..
Great choice BTW.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

When I first got the LTD-1 I had to change nearly all pres. The Avalon went and so did my Trident MTA 80B, 2 x UA 6176. The LTD-1 was used all the time and the rest became paper weights, so out they went.
I also purchased the Chandler TG2 and the Chandler Channel. I tell you the Chandler Channel gets used over the LTD-1 equally, so you should consider the Channel as well.

Nick
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I drool over the LTD-1 but I could never afford a single pre being that price. Thats almost $5k for a pair after ur done. I haven't heard the GR, but I have heard the LTD-1. Im sure there is a reason its more than 2x the price of a single GR...the EQ on the LTD-1 is absolutely amazing. my buddy had one, but he left for school last year. dfegad

of course, when we recorded I had a behringer board, but we won't get into that fuuck
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Nut

I'd take the Great River preamp/eq combo over the Candler any day.

WONDERFUL tracking combo.

WONDERFUL mixing eq.
Old 10th July 2005
Here for the gear

I love my two Chandler LTD-1, in respect of GT MEQ, but I have to admit you can't make a big error in buying a GT. They sound different but beautiful,
ciao
Luca
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
I haven't heard the GR, but I have heard the LTD-1. Im sure there is a reason its more than 2x the price of a single GR...

the chandler is about $2300 for a pre/eq, the great river is about $1000 for the pre and $1500 for the eq, $2500 total.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazurek

WONDERFUL mixing eq.
I agree!! When it comes to mix time, everything seems to sit better in the mix with less work. The Chandler tracks sure are big & nice when solo'd.
GR NV is a "Dream" pre!!
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love my LTD as well. Serial #69

Use it a ton...Also I've had the TG2 for about 2 months and really loving that too.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMazurek

WONDERFUL mixing eq.
I can't imagine needing that much EQ while tracking, and I just prefer a larger sound.

TH
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

i have had both the mp2nv and the aurora GTQ-2.(cant comment on the eqnv)

i sold them both for a pair of ltd-1's 3 weeks ago and ill never look back.

the eq on the ltd sounds awesome and the pres are stellar.

i got a matched pair with 2 psu's brand new for about $4,400 from vintage king audio in mich. talk to mike neera
Old 11th July 2005
Here for the gear

Original Neve parts in LTD-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey
I love my LTD as well. Serial #69

Use it a ton...Also I've had the TG2 for about 2 months and really loving that too.
It seems you could have one of the few LTD-1 with original Neve part...
can you check the single board on it?
Thanks
Luca Pilla
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

It is original.... When I got the TG2 and plugged it into the Chandler power supply. I killed the TG2. Didn't realize that the TG stuff runs at 48V while the Neve stuff runs at 24V.

I have that old power supply for the LTD that's huge..Wade told me I can mod it for TG. But it would pull the TG down to run at 24V. I'd lose just a bit of gain not much. So I said screw that I got a supply just for the TG2 to play it safe.

On top of the LTD being orignal...You don't even want to know what I paid for it..It was a blow out at GC a buddy told me about because they couldn't move it.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheasy
It seems you could have one of the few LTD-1 with original Neve part...
can you check the single board on it?
Thanks
Luca Pilla
i just got a stereo pair about 3 weeks ago and they both have all vintage neve circut boards inside...how do i know this...the word neve is on all of them in large print.
Old 12th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman72
i just got a stereo pair about 3 weeks ago and they both have all vintage neve circut boards inside...how do i know this...the word neve is on all of them in large print.
The Neve is everywhere in LTD-1 but it is not this name that makes original the cards. As you can see, there is a variation on the name: Neve B205 is Chandler, Neve BA205 is Neve, for istance. There is an "A" in original neve cards, for what I understand reading the schematics.
Anyway, the guys at Chandler were so kind to give me also the original Chandler schematics to change the eq from Chandler to original Neve for mid eq. Everything is plubished on italian magazine Computer Music & Project Studio,
best regards
Luca Pilla

ps: and yes, I'm working with two LTD-1 everyday :-)
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheasy

ps: and yes, I'm working with two LTD-1 everyday :-)

arent they wonderfull!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search