The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TC Finalizer (Again)
Old 8th April 2003
no ssl yet 
TC Finalizer (Again)

I know we all love to dfegad on the finalizer but I think I have finally found what it is great at. I hear of people talking about getting better results with plugs but I never have gotten quite the results that I'm gettin now.

Here is what I'm doing.
First I'm hitting the protools 2bus with really conservative levels
I'm using the Ren Comp (SSL setting) on my 2bus compressing about 1.3 db I'm passing out to my finalizer and picking up my levels here.

Using only the Comp lightly and Normalizer with maybe the stereo spreadin or the analog insert (for my EQ3).

I'm never using the finalizer eq though plugs are better here. fuuck

But everything else seems to sound better. Of course I'm not using alot of anything just slight compression and gain. I"m leaving some room for "REAL Mastering " by a pro

What do you guys think ? What I'm hearing is Bigger/Wider/Better without the finalizer's usual harsness (I'm beginning to think that comes from the EQ alone and is not occuring since I'm bypassing it) The only EQ I use on the finalizer is the low pass and balancing the compressor levels
Old 8th April 2003
I agree with you wholeheartedly!

I use it just like you do,

Sony plugs for EQ (using no eq on the Finaizer!!!!)

Some compression (SSL or Cranesong)

I also use it to sample rate convert (SRC) 96k material to 44.1 ("up down upgrade")

But I dont think you should be using it AT ALL if your stuff is going to pro mastering, (just stick to the 2bus comp).

Old 8th April 2003
no ssl yet 
Jules I guess you could say I'm using it as a 2 bus comp becase I don't do much normalizing. Not trying to get it as loud as possible just making up for the lack of gain on the ptools bus.

And my compression is very slight. But it sounds way better than the ptools alone. And the 2bus meter is much better IMO

**** is sounding better now!!!

Old 9th April 2003
OK I will put the weapon down now..!

Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

sorry if this is common knowledge, but what exactly is the SSL setting on the ren comp...? I haven't found anything in my presets that hint at anything SSL bus comp-like... I normally use the Produceher Metric Halo Channelstrip setting in conjunction with the TC Master X3 (software finalizer) but I would like to try other options as no one seems to want to do a SSL bus-comp emulation
Old 9th April 2003
There is quite a famous pre set for the Metric Halo Channel Strip plug in...

Have a look on the Digi User Group

Dunno about Waves...
Old 9th April 2003
Lives for gear

Jules: that is 'the' SSL preset I am talking about and the one I am using at the moment... It's actually very good, I think, albeit possibly a little to 'wet' or un-tight in the low end.

Have you ever compared it side to the SSL - as far as I remember you actually have the real thing, don't you..?
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

I found out fairly soon after I got my TC Electronic 96K Finalizer, that I had made a mistake! At first it appeared as if there was something about the device that I was not comprehending. Also at the time that I purchased it, no one seemed to have one or really could say much about how it could be used.

Personally I was extremly disapointed in the waste of money spent on this thing and the fact that I actuwally like TC Electronic (hhave the M3000 reverb) and for $2,400.00 I did not expect a piece of ****! tutt

However, i have found some interesting creative uses for the little *****! I use it as a tool box. Or an effects box. I knock material out of wack and in certain circumstances it serves quite well, but as a mastering tool...............

THE FINALIZER BITES HARSHLY!!!

I have not used it in a while though and for months it has been out of any chain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search