The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone use the Chandler TG2 on drums? If so on what exactly?
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone use the Chandler TG2 on drums? If so on what exactly?

These are the pre's I have or will have and I'm trying to figure out which ones I should use for what on drums.

Chandler TG2
Trident S80 Box
Mercury M72S
Shadow Hills Industries 8-Channel w/ 4 St. Ives Transformers on 4 Channels (neve)
or SCA N72 8-Channel Rack

I'm not sure if I'm getting the SCA or the Shadow Hills yet. The shadow hills seems tempting since it has all the different output transformers, APIish and Neveish options.
Old 7th July 2005
Gear Guru

I've had good luck using the TG channels on kick,snare,OVHeads ,rooms..
The EQ is cool on the channel versions as well.
the SH's look very cool.
I haven't used the mercurie's..I use original V76's all the time for room mics..Great.
the trident I don't know about ..but love my old dakings.[wow.. they're "vintage"]
Haven't used the SCA stuff either stike
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I use the tg2 with a pair of Josephson c42's (recorderman's method) O/H's kinda sorta. I throw a d12e on the kick and a mono room mic (squished)..I used an e47 last time. I find the combination of the tg2 and c42's tight and punchy and the cymbals just right...no harshness. This is with the output on the tg2 at 10 and the gain reduced to proper input input levels. I haven't tried cranking the gain on the TG2 with drums yet, but that's next on my list.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

I used the TG on overs last week. I liked them there. I plan on using them on kick and snare this week. API 512's on the rest of the kit. I've only had the TG about a month, so I'll need some time with it to really develop a preference as to where/when I'd use it first. I can be particular, but not super picky. (read: The TG is a great mic amp, it's not going to ruin my drum sound.) The other pre's you mention are nice too. I don't know anything about the Shadow Hill, but if you use it, and have time to play with the options, be sure to let us know what you think. thumbsup

Andrew
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Guru

I like them on everything but the overheads. Not as bright. I like bright overheads.
Old 8th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by borau

I hate bright overheads, I hate it itensely,
bright overheads must die.

heh
I second that for sure....
Old 8th July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

I use it for overhead duty as well. I use UA 2108's on kick snare and toms. I have been really liking gefell M582 tube mics with UM70 (M7) capsules through the TG-2 on the overheads lately. I tend not to favour overly bright overheads as well so the M7 capsule gives them a bit of weight.
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Addict

We currently have two tg-2's, a great river mp-2nv, and some other interesting pre's from some old broadcasting boards like ward beck and auditronics. I really like the drum sounds I have been getting lately. And I really love using the tg's on drums. Most of the time I use them on kick(audix d6) snare(sm57) and overheads(2 U-87's)... sounds good to me.

Hey Colin did you guys ever pick up that ward beck console?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search